Hi-Newbie to shard here

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jen, May 29, 2014.

1. Jen

Jen New Member

Hi, name's Jen and I am new here. Still downloading program actually. I am trying to figure out how to make a tamer that rarely, if ever, uses magic. I am a BAD magic user but really want to get into taming animals and monsters and have them fight each other. I would appreciate any help with this. FYI, I have been playing uo since renaissance was being used on origin shard. I have always played either a warrior/tailor or a pure craftsman so this is way out of the box for me. Thanks again for any help.
    Tay M'real and Mes like this.
  2. Melochabre

Melochabre Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hi Jen,

I don't play a tamer but it is certainly possible to play a tamer without using magic; you can easily substitute magery with a useful barding skill. That said, I think you will really start to hate your tamer when you have to run your dragons (or whatever you have) from dungeons to town and back again because you can't magically travel.
  3. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Lady warrior sighted!

Kal Vas Xen Blaise
  4. Athena

Athena Active Member

You can definitely make a tamer warrior hybrid but getting your pets around may be hellish, I'd suggest having an alt on a second account used as a gate bot if you want to do this. However tamer warrior can be pretty fun I'd suggest running Taming/Lore/Vet/Heal/Anat/Tactics/Weapskill you can actually dish out a lot of damage with your pet tanking the blows. Get a slayer and I bet you could put out some crazy sustained damage. I'd just start with taming though and use magery until you can get an alt to send you places.
    Jupiter likes this.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The beauty of Ultima is playing how you want to play. It may not be ideal, it may not be seen as great or even wise, but if you have fun, then you have won the game.

I have a bunch of macro-trained characters that I play but by far one of my top three favorite characters ever is my 'naturalist'. A character I play the 'hard' way, by not using Razor to automate everything I do and trying my best to play UO the way it was designed and intended. While this isn't the fastest or most profitable gain I can muster for the character, the wealth of experiences I have on the character more than make up for any shortcoming in high end pixels and the like.

That said, welcome aboard, play how you want and feel free to hop in http://uorenaissance.com/irc if you have any questions or want to chat about best practices, etc.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Welcome Jeneveve Of the wilds!

Also note that there is pack mentality on this shard which I think is wild! You can get 5-6 spiders or scorps to do some good damage.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I didn't know those had pack instincts. Good to know and more fun to be had!
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

well I am climbing on a HUGE assumption branch here, but I figured that every tamable would have some kind of pack mentality.

I have seen about 6 ice spiders help take down a Shadow Wyrm. It could all be heresay and Jupiter's tales (most of my summations about the mechanics and physics of our fantasy realm are based on whims and are rarely found in fact...)

:)
  9. Jen

Jen New Member

I appreciate all the the insight. I think I will stick with my tried and true warrior/gatherer/tailor until I can get a house and get properly set up. Then I may give one a try. :)
  10. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to UO Renaissance Jen!
  11. kendro

kendro Member

Thats exactly what I have done but I do have a tamer on the backburner taming horses for all my characters. It's working very well for me. If you are going to be an active player and play almost every day at least a little bit I'd be happy to roll with ya and help your tamer get a good start. Than we could go make some decent cash. I know how to quickly get your tamer high enough for getting good tamable creatures and I got a couple bards that can help you tame those harder creatures. I just don't play a tamer much but want to roll with one even if it is warrior/tamer. My provoke bard will soon be able to cast gate travel which could help your pets get around to wherever we go and I got a house to help macro and such. By the way I think a warrior/tamer is a great character to make and play and as I just said would love to help you make and progress one.
  12. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

This is not the case; most animals have pack instincts but not all do. Example: Mares have no pack instinct.
  13. Athena

Athena Active Member

Corruption is right a lot of the higher end critters have no pack instinct but many lower ones like wolves/bears/ostards do and its fun to go out with them! When I adventure with paws I usually drag bears or a few frenzieds around and they can clean up well! I've had em fight titans and blood eles a few times haha.
    Jupiter likes this.
  14. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Active Member

Welcome Jen - always good to see new faces. Hope you enjoy your time here!