How to tame your dragon

Discussion in 'Guides' started by El Horno, Oct 3, 2014.

1. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Guide: How to tame your dragon
    So you just macroed your first tamer to GM AFK and it is finally time to put that tamer to use. But how are you going to get a dragon to be your pet? Well there are 3 directions you can take in your quest. The hardest way, the hard way, and the easy way. All of these methods involve the use of a taming macro to get around the frequency in which taming attempts result in angering the beast.

My very simple macro:
    This macro will quickly attempt to tame the dragon, and will pause its attempts when you successfully begin the taming process. I usually use this pause to heal the firebreath damage. If you need to heal outside of the 10 second pause and the macro is running, it often results in you targeting the dragon with your heal, making you grey (and not healing you of course). In these cases I would press my "stop macro" hotkey and heal, then restart the macro.

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|you start to tame
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:10
    Assistant.Macros.ElseAction
    Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|35
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|1
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1511|

An even simpler macro: (Thanks Dalavar)
    This macro works by setting it to a hotkey and holding the button down until you get a successful taming attempt. This is a nice macro because if you ned to heal you just take your finger off the hotkey and press it down on your greater heal hotkey.

Use Skill: Animal Taming
    Last Target

The Hardest Way:
    Walk a few tiles in front of the dragon and run your taming macro. Every time you "anger the beast" the dragon will be moving at full speed, regardless of how low the dragons HP is. Dragons also like to teleport, making this method especially fun. This method is really a great option for those who don't know any other way.
    [​IMG]

The Hard Way:
    Paralyze the dragon and run taming macro. Paralyze fields are useful should you choose to use this method. Be warned however, a creature tamed under paralysis takes a 14% loss to its skills (Wrestle/resist and etc.) instead of the normal 10% loss on taming. (Thanks Athena)
    Notice how you stand parallel with the paralyze field so that a single field can paralyze the dragon 2-3 times while your busy taming. (Thanks Dalavar)
    [​IMG]

The Easy Way:
    This method involves taming from locations where the dragon cannot enter melee range with you. That means you only have to deal with it's magic damage, which once you understand the mechanics behind it, is fairly easy to heal. Let's start there.
    Firebreath mechanics:
    Dalavar explained it in another thread, "Effectively, when a dragon that has been out of combat sees a player or monster to aggro, there is a random 1 to 10 second delay between that moment and when it will use its breath attack." After you get hit by a firebreath, the dragon cannot firebreath again for 15-30 seconds. Firebreath damage is calculated "Hits * .05 = damage" . This leads many people to get the dragon low on health before taming. I personally do not because 1 greater heal is more then enough to counter the firebreath and I don't want to waste time bringing the dragon down on health.
    The crux of this mechanic is, if you get firebreathed, do not panic. You have at minimum 15 seconds to heal, which should be MORE then enough time to either wait for the taming process to begin so you can heal, or if needed, stop the macro and heal, and restart macro.

Now to the taming locations.
    1. Destard
    The taming location for destard is marked by the red arrow.
    [​IMG]
    You can teleport to the spot by standing where I am standing and targeting as in the photo below. Circle of transparency is very useful here. While it is possible to teleport there with a dragon in tow, I recommend marking a rune first, then pulling a dragon to the area and recalling to the spot. Less mistakes that way.
    [​IMG]
    Once teleported safely up in the rocks, run the taming macro and heal through firebreaths as needed.
    [​IMG]

Another location in which the exact same concept is applied is in the northern part of Destard.
    [​IMG]

Wind:
    This is my personal favorite spot for a few reasons. 1. You are in town and thus fairly safe from being griefed and pkd. 2. You are in a town so you can call guards if the dragon somehow begins to overwhelm you. 3. You are in town and can animal lore the dragons and guard whack them if their stats are not desirable and quickly go back for another.
    [​IMG]

Here you will want to lure a dragon into town. It will require a teleport and I recommend you precast it once you get the dragon to roughly this position.
    [​IMG]
    Now you will walk the dragon off the ledge and teleport back up, clicking where the cursor is.
    [​IMG]
    As soon as you teleport, you need to move out of melee range. Quickly move to the second step, second tile. Any other steps or tiles will result in the dragon being able to teleport to you and eat your face. Protect your face! Once in the correct spot, run taming macro and heal through firebreaths.
    [​IMG]

Another option while we are in Wind is a 2 tile location located behind some rocks which protect you from melee range. Because this is a 2 tile spot you will need to block the second tile so that the dragon does not just teleport to you. This is accomplished by having an alternate character hidden on that tile. In this picture the tile your alternate character needs to be hidden on is represented by the horse.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Nice spots!

Regarding a macro, I actually use the UO client for this. Set up a hotkey for:

Use Skill: Animal Taming
    Last Target

...and I just literally hold it down until I catch a successful taming attempt.

Regarding the Paralyze Field method, this is what I most commonly use. You can usually do fine with just one field. Lay one down, get the dragon in it, and then tame it from further down along the field:

XDXXX U

In the image above, X is the paralyze field, D is the dragon, and U is you. Once the paralyzation wears off, the dragon will take a step towards you and get paralyzed immediately again. You can usually get two or three paralyzations out of one paralyze field casting.
    Azerothian likes this.
  3. El Horno

Great information, I will add it to the guide.
  4. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

Fantastic. Thanks a lot
  5. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Good stuff! Never knew about that Destard spot.

If you can get friended to a nearby house, Fire Temple is a great taming spot too. Lure the dragon to the house, ban the dragon, and run a taming loop from 2 tiles in. A second account can run bandages on you to keep you healed or you can GHeal.
    Descartes likes this.
  6. Aya

Aya Active Member

I have not noticed that dragons that I have tamed using para field having lower stats.
  7. Athena

Athena Active Member

It shouldn't hurt their stats but a creature tamed under paralysis takes a 14% loss to its skills (Wrestle/resist and etc.) instead of the normal 10% loss on taming. In all honestly its not a big deal at all the biggest loss is the ~4 points in resist on a dragon its magic skills are so low to start you won't notice the extra loss and melee skills are easy to raise.
    Dalavar likes this.
  8. El Horno

Thanks for clarification, ill update it.
  9. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

It helps if you read this post in a Craig Ferguson voice.
  10. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Adding to the guide that links to other guides, thanks!
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  11. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

I've used a second character with peace running a loop peacing last target with a drink cure and health check. If low the macro casts heal and targets self. Then I have the bard just follow my tamer. If you peace after the start of the taming attempt the future pet sits still for a certain amount of time or until your next tame attempt if you fail. Works good in Wind with the guy on the steps hidden till you get a dragon in place.
  12. El Horno

13. Abe227

Abe227 New Member

great info i would love to use. however, pics arent working.....
  14. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

@El Horno got those pics still that could be updated?
  15. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member

Unless it's been fixed - I believe the wind method of taming a dragon using the steps has been nerfed (fall out from Pocahontas in Ca and all those occlo EV murders) when you drag a dragon back there now they're auto guard whacked :(
    Rextacy likes this.
  16. Majestic

Majestic Well-Known Member

Wind still works except not in town. Need a Second toon as a hider.
  17. Abe227

Abe227 New Member

any way to repair the pictures?
  18. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Talked to El Horno the other day. He's retired and does not have the pictures anymore. Looks like one of us slackers is going to need to go take some pics.
  19. Valient

Valient Active Member

The town of mages doesn't work anymore. A City Guard will appear if you're on the stairs.
  20. Tysis

Tysis Member

The safe-spot in the rocks in Wind is also gone. There is still 1 tile that can be teliported onto in the rocks, but it is the southern tile that is within melee reach. The 2nd tile to the north is blocked.