I just thought of a special move for archery

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jack of Shadows, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

damage bonus from stealth attack

you're welcome

(you know everyone loves a stealth archer)
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

One thing to bear in mind is that archers already get a pseudo-bonus for a stealth attack on this shard in that they have a very high hit rate, since presumably they are close to their victim and they have not moved much.

Code:

if (DateTime.Now < (attacker.LastMoveTime + TimeSpan.FromSeconds(.75)))
    {rangemod = 24;} 
    else
    {rangemod = 12;} 

defValue = (distance * rangemod ) + (defWeapon.GetDefendSkillValue(attacker, defender) * .33);
    So if you stealth up to someone, say 2 tiles away from them... wait 1 second, and then fire, your opponent's effective defensive skill is:

defValue = (2*12) + (100*.33) = 24+33.3 = 57.3

I think that means that you actually will hit them about 70% of the time.
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

That's not a damage bonus, that's accuracy.
    Jack, would it kill you to contribute to the already multi-page thread discussing this?
  4. Jack of Shadows

I didn't want to get caught up in the arguments, but it just occurred to me that it would be a fun perk that didn't overtly affect pvp (since you'd have hiding and stealth) it might also be a fun sigil stealing/faction thief bonus. Anti pk justice character uses, pk uses, it has a lot of potential
  5. Jack of Shadows

and I mean something nasty like a 60-75 point hit 1/4th of the time (less against armor and reactive armor, protection, etc..)
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

That thread really isn't much arguing and lots of great idea flow, the likes of which is wholly appropriate for this suggestion.
  7. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

A nice addition to archery but this should not deter the addition of a special move for the archery skill only. As it stands only Fencing, Swords and Macing have special moves that do not require additional skills.

Adding stealth + archery = critical hit or something is fine if its on the same lines as:

wrestling + anatomy = disarm

or magery + inscription = bonus to some defensive spells.

Doing a skill combination special move for archery would be awesome but should not interfere with a potential solution to the lack of special attack for archery as a standalone weapon skill.
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

You're a tough cookie Wise!

Ok, how about this, what if Archery + Stealth = chance to remain concealed? Call it a "Concealed" shot?! that's a special move, and I imagine the ability to remain concealed could be argued as a strong tactical benefit
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

A great idea, would have to be balanced with less damage but again, to be GM stealth you need GM hiding. To be a viable standalone PvE archer you can't afford to lose 2 skills to hiding and stealth.

The stealth archer is an awesome class and one I intend to play in the future, its great for support or pk traps :D. I already have a sword archer and a fencer archer and while they are awesome for pvm even if i had skills, I would get owned with them during pvp. The main reasons being low int and the long delay before you can shoot when re-equipping the bow/xbow.

Lets be honest here, even with a sweet special move, archery as a standalone weapon skill will have a tough time holding up in pvp unless its an overpowered move which no one, even archery buffs like me, wants.

Ignore armor would be good when fighting warriors but against mages it wont do much cause they barely wear armor anyway.

I think a type of stun would be good also I mentioned earlier and in another thread, a bleed shot.

Doesn't have to be as crazy as the haloweeen boss bleed but something to think about, warriors can heal with bandages mages can use cure spell to close the would and heal to recover hp. Good for pve because some higher end mobs are pretty much untouchable solo even with this added move.
  10. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

I think archery is already great. The DPS with a regular bow is on par with a moderately trained dexer, and it has range, which is a huge benefit in PvM. It has the Hex bow, which can do simply ridiculous damage, and the crossbow which I guess some people like since it's a bit more powerful than the bow, at the cost of speed. The orc bow thing is pretty decent too. You really can't beat a sort of archer character for "PvM fun factor".

Archery just has many many uses, and just because an archer tank mage can't compete with a stun mage or a dexer with the para/crush/conc special moves is no reason to go altering the skill from how it was on UO:R. Archery is one of those skills that even a slight buff will make it tremendously overpowered...
  11. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Alterations can be tailored to PvP only, or PvM only.

"Archery is one of those skills that even a slight buff will make it tremendously overpowered..."

I agree that SOME even slight buffs can make it tremendously overpowered but that doesn't mean all will. Surely there is a way to perfect archery while keeping it on par with other weapon skills and not better.