Ice Creatures Frost Attack

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Keza, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Lets add a little spice to ice/snow creatures!
    Ice Creatures.jpg

For too long have these mobs looked awesome, but been no more interesting to fight than your common bear. The snakes don't even have poisoning!!! That said, I propose the addition of a frost attack that damages mana/stamina.
    Everything is 100% up for discussion, but my goal with this idea is to make ice/snow creatures more dynamic in a balanced and lore friendly way.

My idea for a "frost attack" came from my enjoyment of fighting drakes, lava serpents, hell cats, and other mobs that have fire breath. Fire breath is not really useful on the smaller mobs, but it at least sets them apart. I feel like ice/snow creatures are really lacking something to match their fire counterparts.

What I had in mind was a 30 second cooldown short range attack (maybe 2-4 tiles) that equally damages mana/stamina. The damage of this would be rather proportional to the difficult of the mob. For example:
    a frost ooze ______damages 3 mana / 3 stamina
    a snow elemental__damages 6 mana / 6 stamina
    a white wyrm _____damages 12 mana / 12 stamina

I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts and suggestions on this!
    Maltman, Ragnarok and Jupiter like this.
  2. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Isn't there a range attack for cold for some of those monsters? I know there is not for the wyrm but I could swear there was a slight damage taken being in the vacinity of a snow ele and possibly ice ele. A message along the lines of "you feel intense cold" or something or another. However my memory may be hazy

I also may be completely off base and simply thinking of succubus but idk.

Interesting idea though Keza!
  3. Geo

Geo Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I believe thats how it is elsewhere. For some reason the intense cold thing is not active on this shard.
  4. Andersonius

Indeed. I must be thinking of another server or of an earlier time here on UOR. I went to ice dungeon to test it out and there is nothing that happens when beside ice eles snow eles or ice fiends!
  5. Geo

Geo Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I like the idea of monsters having little idiosyncrasies though. This would be a good one. Maybe someone else knows why its been disabled.
    Jupiter likes this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I love it. You have the vote of this grey wizard.

I like your idea too, I wouldn't change a thing!
  7. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

You trade more consistent spell casting and melee attacks with white wyrms by giving up the fire breath. Health is also easy to recover through many means. Mana is not and giving players the ability to semi-passively drain the mana off their foes is going to lead to an even more OP for animal tamers.

Intense cold, intense heat, that should be active here. I don't think OSI disabled it at UOR's launch.
    wylwrk likes this.
  8. Jupiter

Wait what about ice demons and their vortex of death?

Ice Demons 12 mana/14 stamina
    Vortex of death 25 mana / 30 stamina

Also, this should apply to followers and non-ice npcs too, right? So if you lure an evil mage onto the vortex of death, their mana gets sapped.
  9. Jupiter

Clarification: when I say this applies to followers I mean against them not for them. This frost damage should be lost once tamed.
    Pork Fried Rice likes this.
  10. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I knew that others would likely see White Wyrms gaining any kind of attack as OP. Maybe it could be a more "balanced" change if White Wyrms were excluded from a frost attack update.

Dont use Wyrms or dragons myself, so makes no difference to me.
    Maltman and Jupiter like this.
  11. Andersonius

I think bringing in/back the standard frost area effect that some monsters had would be nice. White wyrms never had that area effect but I remember ice eles, snow eles and ice fiends among others having it.

I am speaking of the "you feel intense cold" area effect that I want to say used to be here but I may be mistaken on that.
    Pork Fried Rice, Maltman and Jupiter like this.