Input on new mage character

Discussion in 'PvP University [P*U]' started by Andrakus, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Andrakus

Andrakus Well-Known Member

I apologize if this isn't appropriate for the guild forum. I'm going to try to make the class tonight but I may not be able to due to work scheduling and i've been meaning to ask for input on this. I have 2 characters 1 lumberjack pure dexxer and my Provo mage. For our classes i've been using the provo mage since hes' got the magery. He's my main farming character and the money maker but he's not optimal for PVP. I have another character I've been working on GMing magery. He should be done with that soon. I was originally going to go with a tank mage ( fencing ). Now I'm not so sure if that's the best way to go. My thought process was 1 tank mage and then another heal/stun mage. This character has already got 73 healing and 100 resist thanks to the most recent resist event.

I am undecided on the following three templates. The first is a hybrid/tank/ healing build. But with no tactics i don't know how effective it will really be in PVP. Either way i'd love to get some input.

Anatomy
    Healing
    Magery
    eval int
    meditation
    fencing
    Resist

Or

Anatomy
    Tactics
    magery
    eval int
    meditation
    fencing
    resist

or

Anatomy
    Wrestling
    Healing
    Magery
    Eval int
    Meditation
    Resist
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

3. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The middle build has been one of my favorites for a long time but in group (anything larger 7than 2v2 imo) it doesn't really shine unless you can cause/chase someone away from their group.

Outside of that info a heal/stun mage (third build) is a solid choice. Some will do inscription instead of healing for better spell reflect
    Andrakus likes this.
  4. Andrakus

Andrakus Well-Known Member

Will fencing w/out tactics be useless? I most likely will not be fighting in groups because i have odd hours of play. But i really do want a strong pvp template to defend myself, fight nights or just for getting the PK who hunts the newb Occlo Dungeons.
  5. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

Tactics is nice for the damage alone, not 100% sure it's a requirement but you can war fork a mage to death fairly well if the numbers are there damage wise..... too bad this situation rarely ever happens.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Andrakus likes this.
  6. Raajaton

Raajaton Active Member

I think tactics does play a factor in chance to-hit as well. In addition to lower damage, I'd expect to connect far less with fencing -tactics, at which point I feel like it wouldn't really be worth having.
    Andrakus likes this.
  7. Ervin

Ervin Well-Known Member

My vote would be #2 & #3. I play #3 and is by far my favorite template just from the combination of survival and stun. I also have a #2 character that is fun and can cause havoc. #1 is kind of watered down IMO because you don't get the tactics dmg bonus nor do you have the ability to stun other than using a para-blow from a spear. I would imagine this template would be used primarily as a mage with the ability to heal and DP/Para-blow, but not intended to do big damage with the weapon. Not saying it couldn't be completely viable but given the choice I'd lean either #3 or #2 depending on what your play style is. #1 is the bastard child of those two lol.

Just my .02
    Andrakus likes this.
  8. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

2 or 3.

I like ice cream.
    Andrakus likes this.