LF Melee Guild Wars?

Discussion in 'Guilds' started by Mr. Green, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Well-Known Member

This is now an invitation thread, to join in glorious dexxer combat! See http://uorforum.com/forums/CoveMilitia/ for info!
    [Original message below]
    I'm looking to join a melee-only guild that wars other melee-only guilds (like orcs?) I've been using this guild's template as a loose example: http://uorforum.com/threads/the-shadow-guard.7007/

I hate mage dumps and spell spam... also I just find melee to be more fun, not knowing if you're gonna hit, miss, poison, stun, etc.

I would start my own guild but my game time is very limited. I know there are others out there who would join a guild like this as well, so if you think you have what it takes to lead our melee army, step up! God speed and spread the word!

@Valrick @PaddyOBrien @RIN @Evil Dead @Gozinya @Baine @Brymstone @Holden @Artex @Zugu @Toxic Narcotic @Black Tortoise
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    eherruh, Baine, Ruck and 1 other person like this.
  2. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

We've got the Brigand guild who operates under these rules, which I should have more time this summer to control and Bayara should hopefully be back by then. But some of the most fun I've ever had in UO was the big rumble at the brigand fort between the brigands, Project sanctuary, and the Urks , and many random people who just happened to join in.

As far as a "good aligned" dexxer guild, I can't think of any off the top of my head but it's definitely a "if you build it they will come" sort of thing!
    eherruh and Mr. Green like this.
  3. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I would gladly participate! Especially if rules were followed such as GM weapons only and on foot battles.

I can also supply our guild members with arms, armor, potions, etc...
    PaddyOBrien and Valrick like this.
  4. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I'm just a little worried that if I offer to run one that I won't have near as much time as some others to help run/facilitate/operate like I used to
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  5. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

So the real issue is to make sure that there are willing combatants for the new "good aligned" guild to fight. Are the Orks and Brigands readily available? Paddy said they might over summer so that sounds like fun. I'm willing to participate, but I feel I would prefer regular fight nights like @Evil Dead 's English vs Scottish. Either way I'm down for some low stress melee only battles.
  6. Mr. Green

I've said this before but I'll post it here for relevance;

Personally, I'm not that excited about events because I'm usually not available at specific times.

I think if we formed a guild and organized fight nights against other warred guilds we could accomplish the best of both worlds. We would be able to schedule skirmishes and still allow members to roam the world in hopes of finding mutual combat. Not to mention, if we guilded up we would be better able to organize play styles and character builds to increase our effectiveness in the field.

I agree with you @RIN, we should reach out to the orcs and brigands to see if they would accept a war from a melee-only guild, and to see what rules they live by. (If you know of any Orc leaders please tag them and refer them to the OP.)
    PaddyOBrien and RIN like this.
  7. PaddyOBrien

8. PaddyOBrien

@King Xor is always trying to get people to invade the orc forts... they seem to be getting larger as well. The brigands could probably get 3 -4 people on at certain times if something is going down, I've just not had time to invest a lot of time into it right now. That should change here in a few weeks.

I'd love a situation where we wouldn't have to waste skill points in magic resist for characters who will mainly fight in town against enemy guilds, no magery so no need for resist.... opening up points for archery, parrying, or other pure dexxer builds. Perhaps town based territorial guilds, or a East Britain / West Britain guild battle for supremacy of the capital! Guilds with rankings and titles, and a purpose! That would be swell...
    eherruh and RIN like this.
  9. PaddyOBrien

If anyone has the motivation and organization to start a dexxer guild, here's an idea that someone can run with or tweak/alter to their likings... I've not tried to do anything of this magnitude as I once did on Atlantic and won't until guildstone changes come in, but with an active guildmaster and active recruiting, it can work.

A new "good aligned" dexxer guild concept / template:

Possible Name: Knights of Britannia, Britannian Guard, (Insert Town Here except Yew) Militia, Knights of the Realm, etc.. The more it has to do with lore of the game the better.

Theme: A good aligned dexxer guild, no magery, ranking system (optional) , open recruitment to like minded individuals. Could be RP or just semi-RP. In my opinion, RP guilds are more feasible when you are fighting with a purpose (defending your turf, invading others, laying claim to towns / territories, enforcing Lord British's laws..). Strictly enforcing RP is hard to do, but keeping regular chatter to guildchat and semi-RP outside of that is usually fine as well.

Goals: Provide "pure combat" and low stress pvp, freeing up skill points for pure melee skills ... archery, parrying, lumberjacking, etc. Guild wars would allow for in town combat in some situations against non-red warred guilds.

Requirements: Checking ego's at the door, no magery, no mounts(?) , GM weapons/armor only? (runics could be allowed up to a certain type?) , public skill profile to ensure no magery.....maybe use of UOAM on a special room where allied and enemy guilds can see each other in real time on the map? Use of "real" names... just because it looks nicer and has a more immersive feel.

Rankings and duties: Successful guilds have had rankings and duties to engage their players and give them goals to reach on their own time during "down time" when no active guild events are going on. Can't be too involved or time consuming or players won't bother with it. Keep it simple... maybe reaching personal milestones like GM'ing weapon skills, attending at least one or two events, posting stories in the Salty Dog about their adventures or battles, and so on.. When the player reaches their next rank, small ceremonies and change of title to their next rank is always a nice touch. A REALLY good requirement I once used back in the day to ensure the guild kept getting infused with new blood: at a certain trusted rank, a player must bring in a new quality recruit and mentor them. Doesn't have to mean babysitting them but they can take the initiative to seek out a new player, show them the ropes, give them a purpose instead of wandering around Ocllo aimlessly only to log out for good a few days/weeks later.

-Sample ranks: (probably no more than 5 or 6)
    1. Commander/Guildmaster/Captain of the Guard,
    2. 2nd in command rank: sub-Commander/Lt. Commander/ Senior Knight, etc.
    3a. Standard rank most people can attain: Knight, Knight of the Realm, etc.
    3b. A rank for non-combatants: Blacksmith, crafter...
    4. Soldier/Guardsman/ Warrior/Squire...
    5. Recruit/Militiaman/Mercenary/Conscript...

Uniforms!!!: Nothing looks as good in game as a great uniform setup for a guild. You want it so nice that when the noobs in Ocllo see you run by they're all like "I wanna join!!!" We've got plenty of fashionable people in game, maybe hit up @Imbol with the color schemes and hire some new player blacksmiths for the guild weapons/armor if there aren't any in the guild already.

Other options: Guild meetings (hard to do with schedules), guild elections via stone, standard events, and so on....

I wish I had the time and energy to take on a project like this but hopefully someone out there, with the help of others, can do something like this! If you're new and dont' have a place, I'm sure someone interested in the guild could provide a guild house and things like that, so don't let the cost scare you off either! I think there should be plenty of vets out there looking for a change and would enjoy a guild like this.

Mr. Green and Valrick like this.
  10. King Xor

King Xor Member

Da Horde always lukin tu clomp!
    Valrick, Mr. Green and PaddyOBrien like this.
  11. Imbol

Imbol Active Member

Thank you, @PaddyOBrien .

I'm happy to create uniforms!

I've just finished two outfits tonight and, with that completion, I'm taking commissions again.

Just send along an idea.

Some polar bear-riding stranger stopped me in Moonglow a while back. They had
    an idea: a sexy fisherman.

Random Polar Passerby,
    I haven't gotten to yours.

(I may never get to yours.)

Anyway -- uniforms! Yes. Lovely.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  12. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

I'm excited about this type of guild and have already started macroing a pure dexer for it (almost 5x). I also like many of @PaddyOBrien 's ideas / points. I would volunteer to be the GM, but am usually only in game between 9PM and Midnight ET. I am; however, on forums and IRC all day long while at work. Since @King Xor has "Urk" presence at the Yew and Cove forts, we could try being a Cove based guild (as Yew already has the Yew Militia).

Thoughts?

EDIT: Just to expand a bit, I'm thinking a Cove based guild as we can originate with a RP basis of rising up to fight the Orcs that have started raiding from the fort. Plus, once the Brigands return, we will be well situated for some boat skirmishes on the seas.
    PaddyOBrien and Mr. Green like this.
  13. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

Curious,

Is archery allowed?
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  14. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

I would say yes. (And I just GMed it lol)

Without it boat combat would be hard... we would have to agree to leave gangplanks unlocked.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  15. Mr. Green

@RIN for Guildmaster!

I personally don’t care which town we operate out of but I do think we should have a guild house near the chosen town. That may be obvious to most but just wanted to put it out there.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  16. PaddyOBrien

I have a house in cove that can be retooled for a guildhouse I think,and it would be the perfect foil for xor because as mayor of Cove I am demanding reparations from @King Xor for the stench coming from his fort and damaging the tourism industry!!
  17. PaddyOBrien

I don't mind being the administrator of the guild just to add the new recruits and such, grant titles and all that since I can be around whenever need be, if someone else would actually be the leader of the guild to lead the troops, train them, recruit, and arrange the events and all. I would just add the guild members from the stone that are sponsored, add the titles that the leader proposes, be a figurehead for the guild as Mayor but not the leader of the militia itself. Something like this could grab a lot of new players who are timid about pvp, since you wouldn't have to know spell combos and such but just be capable of bandaging yourself.

I've wanted to make a town based guild for Cove for a while, because back on OSI I thought it was real neat that many cities had guilds that were town centered and had councils and all that cool stuff.
    Mr. Green and RIN like this.
  18. King Xor

King Xor Member

Gu vizit da muun!
  19. Mr. Green

My loyal soldier is in training... he only needs a brave leader to follow.
  20. Plawho

Plawho New Member

I’m new to the server. If this melee-only group ever gets started, then I would definitely like to join. For now, I need to get my PvM character up and running so i can farm some gold. will be watching this thread for updates.
    RIN and PaddyOBrien like this.