Murder System idea

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Spoiled Milk, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Spoiled Milk

Spoiled Milk New Member

This idea is entirely stolen from a shard which no longer exists but I believe it nailed the murder system perfectly as the aim of statloss and murder penalties was to protect blues not have ghosts sitting in houses to avoid the penalties.

The idea is simple:

Red dies to a blue. Upon resurrecting enters a period of "shame". Name hue changes to pink and name suffixed with "the shamed" (ie. Bone Dood, the shamed). While shamed a the player can not perform negative acts on blues. The player may still freely attack any orange players (factions/guildwars) or grey/red characters (criminals/attackers/murderers).
    The shame timer decays at the same exact rate as normal short counts would (8 hours). They had an option of paying off 1,000gp per short term to get out of the shame period and act as a gold sink.

There is no statloss so the murderer is able to still use the character in a non murdering fashion. They are still flagged as red so they cannot enter towns/guard zones, as well as being freely attackable by anyone.

Discuss
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

It's a nifty idea but I think the current system works wonders. The reason you don't see many reds solo is because of the utter fear of weeks of stat loss. Giving them the ability to continue playing, albeit limited in PvP, takes away from their current risk. The red that is "shamed" can still go out and heal his comrades and participate in PvP even in this limited fashion they receive almost no drawback from death after 4 shorts.

"Macroing" in a death robe for days/weeks is shame enough.

And being able to pay to get out of stat, no way. Who cares about dieing at that point, 50k to wash 50 shorts is a gift.
  3. Red_Rover

Red_Rover Member

What Cynic said was the first thing that came to my head. So long as these "shamed" players cannot "help" their friends with heals, cures, field spells, blocking, etc.
  4. Spoiled Milk

Spoiled Milk New Member

How about if it was changed so that the could not perform any criminal actions (healing a red or stealing from an NPC)?

The reasoning behind this was to get rid of the current red ganksquad rolling in, killing, and recalling out before anyone can show up.
    At that point you can just script a random event that kills a random person in a dungeon and deletes their corpse.
    I'd love to see more red interaction like there used to be back in the day with Adam Ant, Undead, Bloodclan, etc.

The paying off counts was meant as just a gold sink on that server, I think you should stay shamed without the option to pay out as 1k per count was easy to do.
  5. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

With 15 characters, what would you possibly need to do on your red that you can't on another?
  6. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I actually like this a lot, but three reasons why I dunno if I'd want it here:

• Yet another color of player flagging can add to new player confusion, especially when its undocumented everywhere else on the web. This may also require client side changes to implement? (not sure on UO coding)
    • It's kind of fixing a problem that doesn't really exist. The current system works fine, I think.
    • UO's murder system is iconic. It could be a turnoff to players checking out the shard and hitting bullet points of our features.
  7. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

Why stat loss a red at all? Sure no stat loss to reds would bring a lot of murderers to the shard but it would also bring more players and more action. Isn't that what we want anyway?
  8. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

Too many wolves will drive away the sheep. So...no, it isn't the way we want it.
  9. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor
    Renaissance Volunteers

+1

Well thought out and reasoned suggestions are fine, but some here lately are thinly disguised attempts to advocate changes that suit personal play styles and not the benefit of the whole
  10. Cheapsuit

Well i guess the real question is do you want a wolf server or a sheep server? I think we all know which one will survive in the long run.
  11. Cheapsuit

Well why should one play style be frowned upon more than the other? Shouldn't all play styles be catered to? Isn't ten blues jumping on one red not enough justice?
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I want a server that has a healthy number on all sides. All too often shards become overrun with the evildoers and not enough folks stand up to combat them. This is the first server I've seen with a healthy anti-PK sentiment, even by those who play some themselves.

Murder isn't the only PvP and shouldn't be the basis for shard direction. Perfection would imply room for fun on all fronts which is exactly why you don't see people standing around in droves at the banks here. There's actually stuff to do that's enjoyable other than ganking bards and duelling.

I've PvPed quite a bit lately. What's your character name? I'm not sure I've seen you out there....
  13. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Sheep eat grass, which is abundant and constantly growing. Wolves eat sheep, and once the sheep are gone, the wolves die of starvation.
  14. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor
    Renaissance Volunteers

Definitely not frowning. And no, 10 blues jumping on a red isn't enough justice simply because it does not happen enough to be the same deterrent as stat loss.

Show me a system that is as effective as our current one and I am all ears.

Better yet, Show me how this new system is better, an improvement or simpler in a way that is good for the WHOLE, not just the red and I will be an advocate.
  15. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

The answer is...I prefer our server, exactly as it is. Your ideas would completely alter it to something I wouldn't even recognize. If there are servers out there doing so great because they don't have stat-loss, allow reds in town and completely favor PK's in general, wouldn't you be playing on it with all the other players you claim it would attract?
  16. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  17. Cheapsuit

I'm just wanting to add a new element to the game is all, I'm not a griefer by any means. I agree griefing should be frowned upon but pk'ing? Seriously?
  18. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Let's be honest here. There is almost no penalty for PK's here. Everyone (that PK's) has 3 characters to play with at least, and with the platinum system how it is, they are doubly encouraged to stay online 24 hours a day. Short term counts (the ones that cause statloss) decay every 8 hours, that means that 3 decay a day, and someone can lose a maximum of 9 each day across their three accounts.

This means they can kill 9 people every day, and have no problems at all. If you kill RedGuy McPwnzors, put him into statloss, you will just get PK'd by RedGuy McPwnzors II a little later. There is no point.

I more or less like the system proposed by the original poster here, it's the same one they had on that shard that was named after the teleport spell. However, it may not be what's best for the server.

I simply suggest that something be done to prevent faux-murderers from never risking statloss. The ability to multiclient off all of the statloss adds a large element of "Trammel" to what ironically should be the least trammely group of players around.
  19. Cheapsuit

Are you saying they don't have to re-train the skills when they lose them in stat loss? Or do the skills return automatically once the count wears off? I'm confused.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

He's saying they never have to Res in stat, because they've got enough alt-PK characters to just go play another while the first one burns off counts idling at home for free platinum.