Mutombo's Rhodesian Tamer's Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Mutombo, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Howdy Y’all,

First things first. If you want the Rhodesian Tamer’s Guide you have to check out my Rhodesian Ridgeback, Mutombo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, time for Mutombo’s Rhodesian Tamer’s Guide Part I. While I am not gonna reveal all my tricks, this is most of them and should be more than enough to satisfy everyone’s needs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    STEP I Creating Your Tamer

If you want to be a true Rhodesian Tamer, the first thing you want to do is make a newbie tamer with the right stats and skills.

[​IMG]

Your new Tamer should have the following:

10 Strength
    60 Dexterity
    10 Intelligence
    and
    50 Taming

This is what separates your Rhodesian Tamer from your Mongbat tamer. The trick here is that having lower strength and intelligence makes your DISPLAYED Animal Taming skill closer to your REAL Animal Taming skill.

Q: Why is this important?

A: Well unless you are a UO Bad A-- like Blaise and want to tromp through the woods raising your skills by pointing and clicking, starting with lower DISPLAYED Taming skill will pay dividends later down the road. The idea here is that you can gain DISPLAYED taming skill by simply raising your strength by 20-30 points! This will be very helpful when you hit areas where skill gains are harder to come by. Consider this your ace in the Hole.

STEP II Alligators and Scorpions (50.0-59.1)

Everyone knows about Compassion desert and taming scorpions. What people seem to forget is that alligators are just as good as scorpions and three times more abundant. In this section we will detail the various methods a Rhodesian Tamer uses when training tamingr.

Rhodesian Tamer (Best) Animals for this Skill Range:

Animal (Required Skill)

Alligator (47.1)
    Scorpion (47.1)

Mongbat Tamer (Not Best) Animals for this Skill Range:

Animal (Required Skill)

Grey Wolf (53.1)
    Panther (53.1)
    Snow Leopard (53.1)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Step II(a) Desert and Swamp Houses

When training a Tamer during Beta, a true Rhodesian Tamer would simply placed marble workshops in Compassion, Fens of the Dead (Trinsic Swamp), and Destard Swamp. Below is the text file version of the Compassion Desert and Swamp HouseTaming macro:

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1332|
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1195|
    Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|52|3|ENU|2|16|52|I Ban Thee
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|1
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1511|
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1044095|
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|52
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1395|
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|202
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|48

What the macro does?
    Says I ban thee
    Tames Snakes by target type
    Tames Alligators by target type
    Tames Scorpions by target type

[​IMG]

A Mongbat tamer can choose to use one account to both drag spawn and tame. If you choose to use one account, place your boxes like I did, allowing your guy to get to the taming spot without having to unlock and relock boxes which will inevitably result in your guy getting mobbed to death by the monsters. I also had a macro that spammed I BAN THEE Target Nearest Grey. I used both these macros a lot. However, as you can see, a true Rhodesian Tamer uses two accounts. The Tamer sits in the house and plays the above posted macro and the other guy drags spawn then spams the I ban thee macro I just mentioned in this paragraph.

Below is a picture of my friend and I applying the same concept except in the Destard Swamp and below that is a pic of the same idea in Fens of the Dead (Trinsic Swamp)

[​IMG][​IMG]

A Mongbat Tamer might choose to use any one of these places, but a Rhodesian Tamer will cycle between all three spots in order to get optimal gains in the shortest amount of time.
    STEPII(b) Swamp Boats

After Beta ends you will no longer be able to use the house placing method. However a true Rhodesian Tamer will not be derailed. The Rhodesian Tamer will now use the same basic concept but with boats. See the pictures below.

[​IMG]

Here is Vile Mutombo Grand Master Rhodesian Tamer sitting on a boat at Fens of the Dead (Trinsic Swamp). The young tamer will use the boat along with a simple macro that tames alligators by target type. See below:

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|202

However the beautiful thing about the boat is that you can move it to other swamps. See Below.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Britain and Destard Swamps Above (ignore the Houses on the UOauto map those are from UOSA). Now you are starting to tame like a Rhodesian Tamer!

STEPII(c) Hopper’s Bog

A Rhodesian Tamer knows also that Destard, Trinsic, and Britain Swamps are not the only places that spawn lots of alligators. Hopper’s Bog in T2a also has an abundance of alligators waiting to be tamed, and there are many safe spots from where a Rhodesian Tamer can teleport and tame. Below is a picture of one such safe spot.

[​IMG]

STEP III Snakes, Alligators and Scorpions (59.1-65.1)

Well I know everyone is hoping to get out of the Desert or out of the Swamp, but unfortunately Step III is basically identical to Step II in every regard except you add taming Snakes to your macro. If you are writing your own macros, it is important to remember to add the “Tame Snakes by Target Type” line in front of the lines in your macro that tame the scorpions or alligators. The Mongbat tamer might foolishly add tame snakes to the end of their tame alligator macro. This would be wrong because the macro will target tame alligators or scorpions first!! As the alligators or scorpions get tamed, snakes and other monsters will attack the tamed alligators or scorpions and in the carnage that follows, some of your snakes will become casualties of the Mongbat tamer’s poor macro writing. A Rhodesian Tamer is mindful of what animals should be tamed first based off of the Taming skill required to tame the animal and the survivability of the creature. Snakes have low survivability and higher taming skill required to tame than scorpions or alligators, and therefore you want to tame them first. (Side note: later on when you are at Hopper’s Bog taming giant toads, mongbats, alligators and snakes, a Rhodesian Tamer will know to tame mongbats before Giant toads because Mongbats die easily. In this way you get the most tames out of your group of monsters. In this case, the Rhodesian Tamer knows to tame snakes first then everything else). If you are using my macros you can keep using the macro I pasted from Step II because it already has the line for taming snakes FIRST in it. You are welcome.

Animal (Required Skill)

Snakes (59.1)
    Alligator (47.1)
    Scorpion (47.1)

Animal (Required Skill)

Great Hart (59.1)
    Grizzly Beat (59.1)
    Giant Spider (59.1)

STEP IV Snakes, Alligators and Scorpions (65.1- 71.1)

Step IV is mostly similar to Step III, however there are a few different paths one can choose to take during this phase of the taming process, and we will discuss these paths in more detail below.

Animal (Required Skill)

Snakes (59.1)
    Alligator (47.1)
    Scorpion (47.1)
    White Wolves (65.1)
    Great Hart (2nd Tame) (65.1)
    Grizzly Bear (2nd Tame) (65.1)

Animal (Required Skill)

Great Hart (59.1)
    Grizzly Bear (59.1)
    Giant Spider (59.1)

STEP IV (a) Keep Grinding at the Desert and Swamp

I recommend that you keep grinding out gains at the Desert and the Swamp. Those are by far the easiest places to drag large amounts of tameable creatures for your tamer to semi afk tame using the simple macro I posted above. I recommend using this method Until about 67.0 - 70.0 Displayed Animal Taming Skill at which point I recommend that the Rhodesian Tamer go boost his strength by 20-50 points. Basically you want to push your strength up so that your displayed Taming skill equals 71.1. You do not want to exceed this value. The reason I recommend using your strength boost now is that this is, in my opinion, one of the hardest skill areas to train effectively and easily. We will discuss white wolves at dagger island latter in this section but in short I find the spawn at dagger island to be very difficult to manage. In addition white wolves do not naturally aggro you, so you must attack the wolves to get them to chase you. This can be tedious. In addition to this, your strength gain skill boost will have diminishing returns as your skill gets higher. In other words the amount of DISPLAYED Animal Taming Skill you will gain by adding 10 points of strength when your REAL Animal Taming skill is for instance 65 will be greater than the amount of DISPLAYED Animal Taming Skill you will gain by adding 10 points of strength when your REAL Animal Taming Skill is 75. Because the only naturally spawning animal at 65.1 Taming skill (white wolves) are difficult to manage, and because the strength gain skill boost has diminishing returns the higher your skill goes, I believe this is the ideal time to boost your strength up by 20-50 points, or until your DISPLAYED Animal Skill is equal to 71.1, in order to skip over this area of difficult taming. We will save the rest of your strength boost for later.

STEP IV (b) Dagger Island (Not Recommended)

For those of you who are determined to use Dagger Island, you can approach it in much the same manner we approached the Desert and Swamp, and that is by using either a House or a boat as your safe spot to tame from while dragging spawn. When at dagger you will want to tame both white wolves (65.1) and snow leopards (53.1)

[​IMG]

STEP IV (c) Re-tames - What a True Rhodesian Tamer Does

If you already have a tamer that can tame Great Harts and Grizzly Bears, or if you have a friend who is GM or you can PM Mutombo on IRC and buy Great Harts and Grizzlies from him at 500-700 gp each, you can tame these animals on 2nd tame attempts. In UOR animals got harder to tame after another tamer had tamed the animal look at the chart below:

[​IMG]

Notice how the required skill to tame the animal increases once the animal has been tamed by several tamers. In the wild the animal requires 59.1 Animal Tamin Skill, but once the animal has been tamed once by another Tamer and then released, you will need 65.1 Animal Taming in order to tame the creature.

Now that you understand the mechanics, we will apply this method to training our tamer. I took my GM tamer and tamed about 40 Great Harts or Grizzly Bears and gated them in groups of 7 (max number of tames you can have at one time - 1 slot for your horse) onto one tile in a house. Then in an adjacent tile i traped a couple of scorpions or spiders. These guys will kill your tamed animals for you once you have tamed them. However you could also use a dexer spaming a macro that targets nearest non humonoid innocent and then attacks last target. In this way the dexxer will attack the animals as they become tamed. Finally you can get really clever and release a bunch of scorpions outside your house, or place your house where there are lots of monsters out side and add a line that says “Remove Thyself” and targets nearest Non humonoid innocent. Then your tamer will tame the greys and then boot them outside the house (to their death) when they become tamed. As you can see there are tons of ways you can set this up. Below is an image of my set up I used.

[​IMG]

Below is my simple macro that tames Harts and Grizzlies

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|234
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|212

30-50 Great Harts/ Grizzly Bears will easily get you from 65.1 - 71.1. This is by far my most recommended method if you have the resources to set it up.

STEP V Bulls and Greater Mongbats (71.1- 77.1)

Well we have finally graduated from the Desert and the Swamp (sort of), and you can breathe a sigh of relief becuase you are now at one of the easier Steps. During this step of the taming process you will be primarily taming Bulls. There are some total AFK taming tips that I will disclose in this section.

Animal (Required Skill)

Bull (71.1)
    Greater Mongbat (71.1)

Animal (Required Skill)

Hell Cat (small) (71.1)

STEP V (a) Jelhom Bulls

Jelhom Bulls is the Rhodesian Tamer’s Best area for taming during Step V. This is a total AFK macro. Below is the Razor macro I used for this Step.

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|35
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|232
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.6000000
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|233

This macro tames Bulls (note: Bulls have two target types. If writing your own macro remeber to get both bull target types) then attacks last target and then tames great harts and then attacks last target. This will drag the bulls and harts over close enough so that you can tame them.

In order to get this macro to run smoothly you will need to head north and drag either a giant serpent or a silver serpent into the bull pin then teleport to the other side of the wall. The serpents will serve to kill your tames for you. See image below.

[​IMG]

If you wish to get fancy with your macro you can post another character hidden on the other side of the pin and have this character herd bulls and harts towards your tamer. See image below.

[​IMG]

You can do this macro in either of the two pins at Jelhom. Make sure your character is on the far side away from the entrance to the pin to ensure that the entrace is too far away for the system’s pathfinding program to find the doorway and then have the bulls get to you.

STEP IV (a) Delucia Bulls

Delucia is a good spot to AFK tame Bulls. There is a ledge from which the Bulls cannot get you. The macro used here should be the same as the macro used at Jelhom, and the idea is very similar. You tame Bulls by both target types (note: Bulls come in two target types) as well as Great Harts and then attack last target. You will need to tame 2-3 scorpions or giant spiders and release them at the edge of the cliff. They will serve to kill your tames. You might also consider keeping one tamed scorpion at your side and tell it to guard you. You will want to do this because sometimes the Bulls will spawn behind you in your safe zone on the cliff plateau. If you are total AFK running this macro and a Bull Spawns behind you, that Bull will kill you. The only other draw back to this macro is that you will at times go grey because you are attacking blue (innocent bulls). You can get around this by adding a line to the macro that says “A Bull Guard” Target Self. Any of the above described methods work. See Image Below.

[​IMG]

You can leave this macro running all night AFK for good gains.

STEP V (c) Hopper’s Bog Greater Mongbats

Well we are back at the Bog, and for those of you who have never left the Bog, I’d recommend doing bulls for a little while becuase you will be back at the Bog when you reach Step VI. In this step you will do the same thing you have done in previous steps when at the Bog, however you will add a line that tames Mongbats. Make sure you add that line BEFORE you tame the snakes. Your macro should be as follows:

Tame Mongbats
    Tame Snakes
    Tame Alligators

In that order.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This concludes Part I of my two part taming guide. Please see the following website for more information regarding animals and required taming skill.

http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/?page ... pe=Animals

Be aware of the fact that there are griefers in the world of UO so be prepared to deal with those.

Also please PM me Mutombo if you have any questions about taming or any other skill. And also please consider joining my PvP guild Inca Empire. I will post a page about the guild in the forums in few days feel free to PM on IRC if you have any questions about the Guild. We would love to have some new Inca’s join up. Remember to join you must have a character that has an Inca name and you must ride llamas strictly on your Guilded character.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PLEASE JOIN PvP CHARACTERS TO MY GUILD THE INCA EMPIRE
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Join you need a character with an INCA name
    Once Guilded You can only ride Llamas (once the server goes live)

For more information regarding the Inca Empire please see the link below

http://www.uorenaissance.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=397&p=1114#p1114

PM Mutombo with any questions!

Regards
  2. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Looks like we have ourselves a real "Cesar Millan" here.
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

4. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

useless post.
    Pork Fried Rice likes this.
  5. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Well, my spot doesn't work... I was hoping it was set up the same as back in the day and include it to your guide.

[​IMG]

Snakes spawned constantly here and there were no casting wraiths or whatever. Now, there are no snakes and you get nuked. :?
  6. Fox

Fox New Member

Anybody know if locking Lore at a low skill will allow you to fail more on taming, which would = less things needing to lured?

Thanks,

Fox
  7. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member

i locked lore on one of my tamers and the difference was not noticeable
  8. frenulum

frenulum Active Member

on one of your tamers... show-off!
  9. Fox

Fox New Member

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You need 1 support character to do this, that must be able to provoke orcs. You are using line of sight (LOS) here to your advantage to beat the mobs AI. They see each other (no structures in the way), so the mobs do not use AI to walk around and hit each other.

I pasted my macro to show you what I did to heal myself with magery, can use the same with bandages etc. I would also recommend to move magery mobs well beyond this room so they don't waste your regs, bandies. (make sure to edit the time out on the 'wait for target' - right click).

- Fox
  10. r3ckon3r

r3ckon3r Well-Known Member

convolution
  11. sita69

sita69 New Member

is it just me, or does it seem easier, faster to just go out and adventure and tame things, rather than messing around with boats, and occupying two accounts?
    Cherie and wylwrk like this.
  12. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Just you.
    sita69 likes this.
  13. Ceryx

Ceryx New Member

Anyone have a good way to do the herding macro, I just keep getting that is too far away, i have tried clearing the target que.
  14. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Yeah a hearding macro would be really helpful!!
  15. Hoodrat

Hoodrat New Member

16. Noobenmeister

Noobenmeister Active Member

I've modified the Jhelom Bulls macro to counter the "Jhelom PK meta". This macro will attack bulls, harts and serpents to keep them near to you; it will tame bulls and harts; and when you're inevitably PK'd by a stripper, looney tune, FL trashcan, etc., it will show your ghost and accept if someone resurrects you; then it will continue taming.

Hope it helps.

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.2500000
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|21
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|92
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|2058|
    Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|1|0|0
  17. Noobenmeister

Noobenmeister Active Member

A couple of people requested a herding macro. If you hide about 1/4 - 1/2 a screen away from your tamer, this macro will herd bulls and harts close enough for your tamer to aggro them with my taming macro (above). You can also use this macro while running around the pens to "manually" herd them (they will follow you) to your tamer.

Hope it helps.

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3713|True
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1059|

-Inferno (SammyB#1337)
  18. Lambert TheOld

Lambert TheOld New Member

I have a really beginner question where are you cutting and pasting this stuff into?
  19. Venger

Venger Active Member

Your razor macro