Never go full ostard

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Einar, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

Hi. so I think Im going to go full ostard.
    Ive been farming nice Frenzies, and have been going for full hp.

my question, is it worth losing a few points of hp, for way more str?

how much does their damage change with str?
    and even dex? is there info on hits per second vs dex?

Thanks in advance

PS hi @Keza
  2. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

3. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

thanks, reading it now :)
  4. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

find good ostards are just the first step... for me, the bigger trouble is spend 700-900k in bond slots for a pack that you need to be a pro to manage..
  5. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

i have 6 sofar
  6. Xavant_BR

Good.. so you are almost there... i confess i see the benefit of ostards in a very specific usage -> harrowers.
    For daily hunt they suck, you cant walk around the dungeon with 7 mobs trying to block your way...
    For event mobs they suck, because they do a shit damage since they dont have fire breath(something event mobs are not imune)
    To kill any boss, if you are not a pro, they could suck... two hits you miss the vet... they are dead.....

if you wana run away from the typical dragons or WW... i would suggest the marepack. you dont need perfect mares.. .with 30-50k mares you can have a nice setup... and well trained.. they are deadly and will loose in DPS to frenzied pack for a fraction.

Keza can destroy my arguments i am prety sure... i am the number one fan of this guy... specially because he made the stuff in the most weird ways and make it work... i am just warning you to prevent you to get frustraded after fight so much for it and in the end discover is not what you was looking for.
    But my final advise.. make your pack and try.. if you get good hunting with them... you can hunt anything and with anything...
    One and Jill Stihl like this.
  7. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

Yeah, i have 3 mares two dragons and a ww, they seem a little overkill,
    basicly wait for monster to open, repeat
    ill keep them for events n such, but cruising with a few frenzies,just seems more fun?
  8. Xavant_BR

oh definely is... despite the mobility troubles(that could be solved with some simple macros)... is very challenge-full... i didint realize you already had all the other sets, so you know where are you steping... i thought you was going for your first ones.. me myself love to make what the other does but in a harder way.
    One likes this.
  9. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

haha, your argument is sound, and it also proves why I dont use Dragons, WW, or mares on any of my toons. If you do the math, using those tames creates a meat shield of around 1500-2000 HP with 20-30 DPS overall (without adding the damage of a tamers Ebolts or provo). To put that in perspective, a parry dexxer has a MAX of 110 HP with 8-15 DPS, 15 DPS being reached with slayers only. checkout DPS challenge

Long story short, after using those top shelf tames other builds seem impossible to work with. So, I just dont use them and its made the game amazing. Sure ostards do WAY more damage then my dexxers, but because of all the drawbacks you listed I dont always use ostards. In some cases a single ossytank tracker is better, or maybe a provo mage, or a pack of 4 good polar bears, ect... In the end, you would have a lot more fun if the almighty TAMER build is not an option. Being able to say "all kill" and take a nap while you kill the most difficult monsters in the game is not my idea of fun.
    ReZon, One, Jill Stihl and 2 others like this.
  10. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

the mobility issues are fixed with an eat apple macro or refresh pot macro?
    apples being cheaper?

and a follow chain
    d follow b
    b follow a
    a follow me?
  11. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

i added this line to my signature keza! thank you very much!
    Huzke likes this.
  12. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I found the frenzied ostard pack to only be best pet setup in very specific circumstances... that is in places where you're not moving much, and where the monster you're killing doesn't have magic. Spellcasting monsters can luck into some rough combos of ebolt/flamestrike spells and if they happen to hit a melee strike or two in a row, your frenzied goes down and you need to spend time reviving. In terms of stats, there is enormous variance in frenzied ostard's potential stats of STR, DEX, and HP, and I think some "well-rounded" frenzieds will perform better than some with say two very good stat scores and one poor one.

WW / WW / Nightmare works best against normal monsters, in terms of having a good killing speed, not getting in each other's way, and not making you spend time reviving them.

Dragon / Dragon / Nightmare works best against UOR's special monsters, if I remember correctly. This is because UOR's special monsters have extra damage reduction against pet melee attacks but not pet firebreath.
    Xavant_BR likes this.
  13. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

I think the idea here, though, is to find and play with fun off meta builds.
    Einar likes this.
  14. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not sure why I went into Dragons and such. But the original question was about stats and I think I answered that.

Giant Spiders can be fun, actually decent damage and poison is cool. Hell Hounds and Hell Cats are somewhat similar in performance to Frenzies.
    One and Huzke like this.
  15. Xavant_BR

i would prefer hellhounds or hellcats... they fire breath at least! imagine the impact of all those mobs firebreathing at same in the first seconds he agro... i believe they firebreathe around 10hp.
  16. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

are they single slot?
  17. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

oh wow, large hellcats it is
    found a 200+ hp one already
    im guessing their firebreath works on antitame mobs the same as dragons?
  18. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

If you've never seen one of these score sheets before its from a Harrower run. My main Keza toon is using 8 frenzied for a total of 8,645 pet damage. Keza Fire is using 7 hellcats for a total of 6,955 pet damage. Both are great tames, they are also the tames I'v used to solo to Zookeeper quest.

Harrower ostards.png

Dont get too excited about ostards doing x2 damage of dragons though. The damage advantage is due to the longer boss fight times vs. high magic resist targets. Dragons magic damage vs. bosses with 150-200 resist is cut WAY down, and then they run out of mana. Ostard and hellcat damage says consistent for these 5-10 minute fights, additionally you dont move around much so the whole 8 tames blocking you is not an issue.

This thread "Never go full ostard" is pretty funny. People are always welcome to use the standard (2drag+mare) build. Sure its powerful, and easy to use... but is it the best for everything?
    Jill Stihl, Chafe, Huzke and 2 others like this.
  19. LCH

LCH Active Member

see this video
    it works
    Einar and Keza like this.
  20. LCH

LCH Active Member

i believe the reason why hell cats did less damage than frenzied in this record is because they do fire breath, which is less damage than their melee attack
    from my exp hell cats do more melee damage than frenzied, which is consistent with their stats
    but the intermittent fire breaths reduce the DPS
    Xavant_BR likes this.