New design of the compendium - how do you like it?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by BlackEye, Jun 16, 2015.

How do you like the new design of the compendium?

1. Good.

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Not so good.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Good ideas - but the looks could be improved.

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I liked the old style much better (so far at least).

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hi dear UO:Rers,

I am curious what you think about the new compendium looks and design. To be honest, I have already seen several pages that I liked much better before, e.g. the weapon listing which was better ordered into weapon types and had additional information like weapon speed listed. And what do you think about this new brown bookpage-like look in general?

And please be constructive in your answers. Instead of an 'I hate it' or 'I like it' for example, please post some ideas for improvement or tell us what you like the most and why.

Staff Edit
    Figured I would provide some quick links to the new design. - Chris
    Note: The look of the paper background, the font, and the font color are not final. However please leave comment on the best way to make the design readable, and easy to navigate (as blackeye mentioned)
    New Item Pages
    New Item Lists
    New Info Pages
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  2. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Dalavar likes this.
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Love the brown book page. Anything but this black and green, which makes me feel like I'm in a Diablo II fan forum from 2002.

I'm sure the weapon speed could easily be pulled into the listing, I agree it's an important attribute to have there.

EDIT: here is axe weapon types. I dunno, my method of utilizing the website is to have a folder of like 30 bookmarks that deep link to the pages I visit a ton (like this). Navigating through menus and links always seems hard to get right.
    ReZon likes this.
  4. Six.spirit

Six.spirit Active Member

I like the new look!

What I would like to see is more information about the chance or value of magic weapons/armor that monsters can drop.

Like MonsterX has a 20% chance to drop a magic weapon/armor and it has a 1% chance to be vanq/invul, 5% to be power/fort, etc.

I actually have no idea how the magic item drop system works, its something I've been curious about for awhile. It would just be nice to be able to look up things like how much better or worse a Dread Spider is than an Elder Gazer in terms of magic drops, just like we can look up a monster's gold drops, plat drop chance, T-Map level and its drop chance, the monster's stats, etc.
    Laretheo likes this.
  5. pin

pin New Member

Please excuse my critique response in advance. This is best shard on the internet and the amount and quality of work done by shard staff is absolutely impressive!

This message could look too critical just because I'm trying to be brief - really need some sleep.

Looking at http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/Alchemy/test

* New font is used: there are at least some gothic font in header (UO Renaissance), Times for top/bottom parts of the side menu and header blocks on top (downloads, server status), helvetica for middle part of the side menu and search bar text. This page adds another font which is ok on it's own, but in general font usage on the whole page is brutal from my point of view.

* New layout of the content part of the page (the part with brown background): header (right below "alchemy" title) navigation: it has "skill" button on the right which is point to http://www.uorenaissance.com/list/Skill/M and "skills" button on the left which is point to http://www.uorenaissance.com/list/Skills/P. There are two different pages which are look almost exactly the same and have the same functionality as far as I see.

* Below the main content:

INFORMATION
    Base TypeSkill
    Primary TypeSkills
    Sub TypesCrafting

Looks like some database dump to me, just noise.

SPAWN LOCATIONS
    No spawn locations on file

Noise too.

Also part of content headed "An excerpt from the journal of Caine" is hard to read because font color is quite close to the background color. Not enough contrast, basically.

Honestly if you ask me which one I would choose: old or new style for the given "alchemy" page I would choose an old one. Maybe it looks 2002 but there is nothing wrong with that!

Thank you and please excuse me for critique response!
  6. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

From my point of view, everything seems great. The skills links seem a bit in excess for alchemy at least, and that font is hard to read. I had to highlight it to read it and it felt like I was reading some spoiler text. :D

::EDIT::
    I scrolled through a few different skills and got to thinking a related skill box like the related links box would be helpful. Something like Magery having direct links to Meditation, Resisting Spells, and Evaluating Intelligence, or Anatomy linking to Healing exc.
  7. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Ironically that is already there.

Clicking here while viewing say magery for example
    Ez1.jpg

Takes you to the listing of magical type skills
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/list/Magical/S1

Keep in mind we are still using some placeholders for various things.

This is actually one of the core reasons for the re-design. To allow every item in the compendium to have up to 4 main categorizations allowing for players to easily navigate around the website without going back, searching, or having a million bookmarks
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  8. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

The font/color for the body of data in each item is still under review. For now I am testing the black/gothic font to see how it looks. But that is open to change.

The Information section will be a place for useful math, stats, technical details etc down the road. So for it to only list the categorizations just means we have more work to do. Those links also function as navigation to those categories as well.

Spawn locations will be removed, I am just re-using some page designs until I get to the point I need to customize the look a bit more (Ergo that format is used for rares/skills)

The text issues at the bottom of the alchemy page are just leftover formatting from the old data entry. Is fixed now