New player question

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Fu Zang Long, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Fu Zang Long

Fu Zang Long New Member

Hello! First let me say thank you to everyone who makes this place possible. I have only been here a few days but this is exactly what I was hoping it would be.

Secondly, I have a question on skill gain. I was following Ian's Guide to Young Player Taming and I can't help but feel I am missing something. I don't see myself getting skill gains fast enough to reach GM taming before my young status wears off. I'm by no means complaining, just want to make sure I wasn't missing something. From 50-57.5 I have been getting at most about .1-.2 skill gain per hour following the guide exactly. Is this common now as opposed to how it was when the guide was made? Any tips? Thank you.

And lastly, I apologize if this is not the appropriate place for this type of topic.
    Orion GM BD and a space mongbat like this.
  2. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Skill gains hasn't changed.

Ensure you're taming the right stuff for your skill level.
    .2 an hour would be low for active taming at this stage.

Welcome to UOR
    UOR is best bro
    Orion GM BD and a space mongbat like this.
  3. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Taming is a slow skill... you could start with a provo/dexer that you can start hunting almost inmediatliy after creation. 50heal / 50 magery would be a good starting point, after that get some cotton from the farm (only for youngs at ocllo!) and make bandages to heal yourself.

If you enjoy taming animals at Ocllo probabbly this table will help you: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d1pzcovHTbyZH039J_1aCzhujmb_25vBra0Eg00_E1s/edit#gid=0

Otherwise you can afk macro taming if correctly setup, you will need a house at compassion to start and then Jhelom pens but it's doable fully afk.

Don't forget to join Discord if you didn't yet. https://discord.gg/9JtUTdP
  4. Fu Zang Long

Fu Zang Long New Member

Not able to access that doc, says I need permission. Thanks for the feedback guys. Gains seem to be a bit better today, I may have not been using my "show real" when I was comparing my skill to the chart on what I should have been taming on Ian's guide.
  5. Tol

Tol Member

I'm curious why Dex is weighted so heavily for stats on pets? Is the difference between 100 and 105 that significant? I really don't know but my guess is yes it's incredibly significant.
  6. Reginald

Reginald Well-Known Member

Yes dex makes a difference. 105 for dragons means they hit just a bit faster, but because their str is so high, the damage is higher.

White Wyrms however have a max of 130 dex, even though their str and hp are lower they hit faster and do more damage. They dont have fire breath though, thats the trade off.
  7. FisuUO:R

FisuUO:R Well-Known Member

Also, when their mana is depleted, you rely on their physical damage. The higher dex, the higher edge on physical damage.