Other Developers Code

Discussion in 'RunUO Development' started by LaggMaster, May 15, 2017.

1. LaggMaster

LaggMaster Active Member

Do you accept code from other developers? I am currently playing here and wanted to know if I could help assist on any project. Code up something like a new champion that spawns out in the ocean making people have to run it on boats.

Here is some of the code I released back when I was 16-17 years old.
    http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/color-wars.58157/
    PaddyOBrien and Black Tortoise like this.
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Active Member

Sounds cool. I wouldnt mind getting involved at some point. Ill take a gander at what the underlying tech is...

https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-technology-stack-driving-the-original-Ultima-Online-servers

I got a little lol from that ;).

I havent worked in C/C++ in years, but I also work in lots of languages, OO and Functional paradigms. Im sure it wouldnt take me long to contribute.
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Ill take a look. Our event system here (other than automated scheduling) is pretty extensive and can be modified to create just about any event.

The problem is that events that are to complex at face value, while fun, are tough to get players interested in. That is why CTF and Tourneys work so well. Players all pretty much understand what is involved, what to bring, and what to do. Even so we still have to teach people what to do with the flag in CTF.

For the more complex events it is better that the staff design tools for players to run their own events, rather than the staff implementing systems for those events. This way the players can recruit players for their own events, using the tools the staff develop for said events.