Peace/Tamer questions and Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Ogtor, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Ogtor

Ogtor Member

Hi everyone!

Very new to the shard and getting to the point where I can finally start to fine tune the 2 characters I've been building. I'm a little torn on some decisions with my peace/tamer/mage.

Current planned template is this:

Str 92
    Dex 40
    Int 93

A. Lore
    A. Taming
    Vet
    Musicianship
    Peacemaking
    Magery
    Resist

Where I'm torn is if the 40 dex is worth it to reduce bandage time for vet and if resist is really necessary. I mostly like the idea of resist to help against PKers and the occasional dragon breath, etc from magic monsters and make me a little less squishy. However there is a part of me that thinks those 100 skill points would be better used on Discord or Provo.

Thoughts?
    M3THMOUTH and Mes like this.
  2. Kryptonical

Kryptonical Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

I have a couple tamers.

First Tamer:
    Lore
    Taming
    Disco
    Magery
    Music
    Provo
    Vet

Second Tamer:
    Lore
    Taming
    Magery
    Med
    Resist
    Tracking
    Vet

It truly depends what I'm doing and how I'm using them. Both have 100/100/25 for stats. Not having resist, with those stats on my first tamer is a pk's dream target, it truly is a glass cannon. Truly fun to play with though as long as you're able to handle the scenarios when pks are around (and even sometimes fighting hard magic casting stuffs). If you're just on your tamer goofying around, recalling/gating around, etc...you're going to VERY VERY quickly notice that not having med is pretty terrible.

As far as your build goes, I might consider dropping peace for provo.

my 2 cents.
  3. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I'd also suggest provo or disco over peace, resists not really needed my tamer has 0 and it's very rare it ever matters
  4. midgetbob

midgetbob Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I started with Peace, then dropped it for Provo... and now am thinking on switching it for Disco.

Creatures don't stay peaced long, and mini-bosses break peace almost instantly. Just wasn't worth it to me.
  5. Ogtor

Ogtor Member

Yeah, do you guys find taming harder monsters (dragons, nightmares, etc) difficult without Peace? I've never personally played using Discord or Provo before, but I like the idea of Provo allowing me to do some PVM without relying on my creatures entirely. With your advice in mind, I'm thinking maybe ditch Resist for Discord and change out Peace for Provo. I'll be squishy as all hell but hopefully kickin' ass at PVM will be worth it. Thanks for the replies guys. And naturally still open to any suggestions.

Thanks!
    M3THMOUTH likes this.
  6. midgetbob

midgetbob Well-Known Member

Paralyze Fields or Safe Spots. There are a few guides that show the places in wind / destard.
  7. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

I tried forever to avoid taking Meditation on my tamer. After trying just about every logical skill permutation over 3 years on the shard, I would slam-dunk take Meditation in that slot. It just makes you so much more versatile.

Also you may want to check out this link. 40 dex no longer does anything for bandage timers on pets. You need 51 to make it to the next faster tier now. You're probably best off with 100/25/100, IMO.
    M3THMOUTH and Mes like this.
  8. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Like Basoosh said, to get to a 4s bandage you now need 51 dex.

My tamers are 100str, 51dex, 74int. But you may need the int more than me.

Welcome to UOR @Ogtor see you around!
    Ogtor and M3THMOUTH like this.
  9. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

^^ This, and if you're only going to have 1 tamer, I recommend provo. More bang for your buck.
  10. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

You can still run with 40 dex if you have GM magery. When you need the extra healing speed just bless yourself for +11dex. The 4 second heals are nice vs. stuff like balrons :)
    Valrick and That Guy like this.
  11. That Guy

This is exactly how I do it too ;)
  12. Ogtor

Ogtor Member

You guys. So smart. I think I'm going with Provo and picking up Med. I think I'll be grateful once I'm really out casting spells in the world. Still a little nervous about Pkers, but whatcha' gonna do. lol. Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated. I like the idea of keeping 40 Dex so I can Bless and get the 4s timer. We'll see how it goes!
  13. That Guy

Don't worry so much about pks, travel light like 70 of each reg and 100 aids, be prepared with a 1 key quick escape ie recall or gate and for the gate make a macro that clicks the gate for faster and easier gate escape and bank dump often while farming but the most important part is have fun :)
    Ogtor and Valrick like this.
  14. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

don't forget to say a few all follow me's after spell is being cast to make sure those pets are ready to go
    :)
  15. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

I learned something! :)
  16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

A hotkeyed macro to use gate scrolls/target rune can be a lifesaver.

Most of the time it seems as though my chance to fizzle gate travel is proportional to the amount of PK's on screen.
    Ogtor and Valrick like this.
  17. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Gate Scrolls. You're welcome!
    Basoosh and Ogtor like this.
  18. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Macros that loop heal on your precise bandage timer can really increase how fast you heal, as well. Just "eyeballing it" with manual bandaging will lose you a few slivers of a second each bandage cycle. I didn't think I needed macros for quite a few months, but it really makes a huge difference. Plus it saves your fingers from falling off.

However, be really careful with them if you use a template with variable heal timers. If you have a macro running on 4s and bless runs out mid-combat, applying a second bandage before the first is done resets the timer, so you'll end up in a loop of your pet not getting healed.
  19. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member

Welcome Ogtor! Hope to see you in game!
  20. Ogtor

Ogtor Member

I'm back with another question! Haha. Reviving my own template thread. However I'm starting to warm to the idea of replacing med, as I don't do much casting besides the occasional heal/cure and gate/recall, with hiding. It seems incredibly useful and would allow me to get untargeted if the mobs decide to attack me and not my pets. And it'd help me escape pretty much any life or death situation I would hope. Any thoughts? you guys were very helpful before. And I'm only maybe 30-40 skill points away from being 7X GM but could easily switch med and hiding back and forth. Thanks in advance!