Pet gating

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Liberation, May 22, 2014.

1. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

OSI had this mechanic where pets would pass through gates without their owners if the pet stood on the gate for long enough (1-2 seconds?). I remember this being both a source of fun and of frustration. On the one side it was one of my favorite things to try to do (however unsuccessful [it was really hard to get the pet to stand there for long enough!]) when people would bring out their faction tamers to fight. On the other side, PKs would kill me, sometimes, and gate my pets off before I could res. In the latter case, I would have to procure the ingredients to charge my pet summoning ball to retrieve my pet, but it wasn't a grievous loss.

I kind of feel like this jives with the Feluccian lifestyle, although I wonder what you think.
    Jakob and Mes like this.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This function only suits one purpose: grief.
    There is literally nothing good about the ability to do this, other than removal of a tamer's pets from a PvP situation. In such a situation, just kill the pets and/or move on.

I kind of feel like this jives with trade window scams, purple potting under houses, casting EVs through windows of player homes and other such ridiculous crap that does no good for anyone, other than getting the jollies off for some griefing shitbads.

TLDR: No thanks

Oh, and to answer your sig-quote, I believe the answer is players exploiting bugs for the purpose of grief/housekilling.
    wylwrk, Basoosh and Artex like this.
  3. Liberation

you having named one constructive thing that the mechanic does, i'll prove you wrong by naming another:
    the mechanic also has the positive affect of driving the summoning ball reagent market.

that's a viable alternative, however it takes quite a bit more mana to accomplish. as such, pet gating acts as a nerf to PvP tamers by creating a less resource intensive and less time intensive means by which to thwart large pets.

this sort of characterization is just asinine. if you're going to be childish, please don't muck up my thread with it.

thanks for your opinion, all the same.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Summoning balls are gold sinks and don't take reagents, at all that I'm aware of. That and you can drive that market up by killing the pets and the owners and ensuring they can't res near their pets long enough to save them. Grief away.

Zomg, takes mana to kill pets. Wo be the murderers having to do things to accomplish lofty goals like killing player's pets. PvP tamers never last here. Every time one is seen in the field they get stomped out and don't tend to come back. If I'm mistaken in that, please cite the names of active, regular PvP tamers.

You brought feelings into the topic and that is how I feel about pet gating. Your name calling and inability to have discourse about this topic, is childish. Please remove yourself from your thread if you choose to continue that. *rolls eyes so hard he falls out of his chair*
  5. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  6. Liberation

telamon's fielding of IRC messages from anyone who feels like harassing him is a burden that he places himself under daily by allowing everyone unlimited access to himself. there's a reason real game developers don't do this; it's unmanageable.

that being said, i wonder if it couldn't be implemented in an intelligent way.
    if we're doing blacklists, perhaps it doesn't work in guard zones.
    if we're doing whitelists, perhaps it only works on oranges/reds. or perhaps only on pets owned by people who are flagged locally as non-innocent to the gater.
  7. Gideon Jura

One likes this.
  8. Liberation

i mean... they use charges, right? so necessitating the use of more charges is still "driving the market." i'm not sure i understand the argument.

it's true that the only precedent for PvP tamers right now (that i know of) are HC and friends and Kerigan. Kerigan had a pretty cool PvP tamer, but was driven to quit by the griefer, Mes. HC and friends only had three people and their guild was already falling apart.

if you are really going to argue that a PvP tamer wouldn't be absurdly powerful, then how else do you reason that our guild (when you were a part of it) had a hard time killing a group of tamers 6v6ish?
    Mes likes this.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If it's going to work, we should definitely be able to gate 20 balrons into a faction base and leave while the sigils cook.

I could see it being reasonable if it were only possible in warring/faction scenarios but not sure it would be worth the trouble.
    Mes and Khan like this.
  10. Liberation

if i'm making an argument for a non-whitelisted version of the mechanic, then
    adam ant used to say that "life is only as sweet as death is painful"

however, i'm really not. i really don't care if reds can gate pets or whatever. i do think it's funner that way, but i also realize that most people don't.

if i'm making an argument for a whitelisted version: then i suspect you wouldn't care, either way.
    Mes likes this.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

You said it drives the summoning ball reagent market, which I guess I was just clarifying to say that it doesn't involve reagents at all, just gold for charges.

Because we were outnumbered (6v6 was not what I recall the numbers being) and gating out pets would have made it an easy victory for us because all we need to do is get attacked and gate to balrons, invis, then pop back through the gate and wipe the floor with blues. It's absurd to think this is an acceptable or desirable mechanic for anything other than grief tactics. You want to kill a bunch of tamers with dragons? Bring a PK with dragons then, or do it the old fashioned way with paralyze fields and EVs.
  12. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

I interpret this as *let us kill everyone all of the time in our groups, and make it so not even their dragons can save them*

shock to end all shocks, I agree with blaise on this one

and I did enjoy gating out people's pets very much so, but this would not be so good here (did those other places have pet limits)
  13. Liberation

while i do feel like you guys over-estimate the power of pet-gating, it's also clear that everyone who reads this post evidently thinks that my motive is to grief all the tamers. i guess i'll chalk this mess up to my irreparable reputation.

thanks for your input, gentlemen.
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Not really your doing. Most of us came from a shard where this was common practice and ganking people and stealing their mares or other tames was a regular grief tactic. I think the big picture here for folks is that the very small amount of good that this might provide is very quickly and easily overshadowed by people using it for the sole purpose of pissing someone off, even after the fight is won.
  15. Gideon Jura

Jack of Shadows and [Mobolin] like this.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I could honestly get behind it if the gating of pets weren't completely out of the control of the tamer. For example, if I say All Follow Me, the tame should not follow an aggressor through a gate. However, if I say "All Guard Me" or order my tames to attack my aggressors and they go through a gate before I call my pets back, perhaps.

In such a situation, loss of pets while still alive is not completely out of the control of the tamer (such as the case is when this functions as it has on other shards). That would at least provide a semblance of balance where you can't just run up with an Gate/AttackNearest/UseGate macro and basically hijack pets in 3s while the tamer is completely screwed.

I guess TLDR = I would get behind it, if pets would actually listen and not auto-follow an aggressor after I've commanded them otherwise.
  17. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Agree.
  18. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

On a shard with multiple bonding slots and summoning balls, this wouldn't particularly impact veteran tamers much. It's not like you could "steal" the dragon and re-tame it, unless the owner doesn't notice the theft for like 12 hours. Actually, it would kind of be fun - I'd love to see one of those dragons that someone bought for like 1M left unattended, so I might take a crack at snagging it.

That said, I do suspect what Gideon said is true... would just lead to a further influx of messages to Telamon from confused players. Is the upside really worth that? I don't think so.
  19. Khan

Khan New Member

This is how the abyss test server came to a fiery end. I remember playing on that fateful day that the prophecies foretold.

It was super strange seeing the brit town guards fighting hordes of balrons, and losing.

I have no input on this thread, other than I don't really think there are pvp type pets. Silver Serpents would be awesome if they were tameable.
  20. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure pet gating does not include MOBS, and unless I'm mistaken, balrons are not tameable. Therefore it would be impossible to gate balrons, or any MOB for that matter.

That being said, I think most who know me could guess I'd be in favor of it, and I'm one of the few who does possess a pvp tamer.