PvM Template question - New player

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Taupin, May 6, 2015.

1. Taupin

Taupin New Member

Hi guys,

I just joined here a few days ago and I thought I'd try a warrior template, namely fencing+parry warrior, since I never tried that before. I'm only interested in PvM, and as of yet (STR 100, DEX 91, skills in the low 90s), it's really been a terrible template for PvM. I have a +20 warfork of power and a kryss with the same attributes, but it takes forever to kill anything, even your basic orcs. I don't remember things being so hard for a warrior back in the days... granted, I stopped playing in 1998, but still.

Is there a warrior template that's better suited for PvM or should I just go for a bard mage and forget about weapons altogether?

Thank you for you help!
  2. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

You don't necessarily need to make a bard-mage if you don't want to, but I'd definitely add bard skills to your dexxer.

As to your damage output:
    • Are your weapons repaired?
    • Do you have tactics?
    • Do you have anatomy?
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You'll have trouble tanking the higher end mobs as you progress if you don't have either bard skills or a party.
    That said, you can do well with a parry warrior once you finish your build. Once you GM Tactics and Anatomy I would recommend dropping Strength to about 80-90, max out Dex and put the rest in Int. This balance of stats will save you from excessive Mind Blast damage if you fight casting mobs or get attacked by players. You'll get better damage over time with higher dexterity and at a certain point, more strength will stop equating to more damage output.

Good luck and feel free to hop in IRC and ask questions all day for live help. Most of us idle in there at work or otherwise.
    http://uorenaissance.com/irc
  4. Taupin

Taupin New Member

Hi Basoosh, yes I have anatomy at 90, fencing at 90, tactics a little over 100 with the magic weapon. Maybe it's just the fact that I've never tried fencing before, or maybe damage output was changed after the time period I played in. Or maybe I'm just remembering things wrong from the old days, it's been a long time, afterall!

Blaise, what would be a good template for a warrior bard?

Thank you both very much!
  5. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Take a look at my guide for PvM dexxers:
    http://uorforum.com/threads/the-peacemaking-dexxer-and-you-a-guide.2897/#post-66717

I used to be the servers biggest proponent for dexxers in PvM but over the years I've become quite turned off with the lack of love from the staff in regards to slayer weapons/consistent damage output/variety of viable templates. I've since come to the conclusion that you're better off with a tamer or a simple mage bard. You really need a slayer weapon to get anywhere as a PvM dexxer and most slayer weapons are absurdly rare and expensive (see my signature). I can't justify farming consistently with a dexxer and risk losing a slayer weapon worth more than what I would earn farming with it. Tamers/Mage Bards lose a few regs and maybe a little skill loss on pets.

If you're still headstrong on a PvM dexxer then you can go a variety of ways, peacemaking is great and my primary choice, provoke is a strong 2nd. Remember, the only thing that sets you apart is a slayer weapon.

You're looking at something like this:

Peace
    Music
    Weapon Skill
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    Healing
    7th skill personal preference.

It should be noted that I no longer use my peace dexxers for PvM, outside of ironmanning AMiBs. If I were to farm anything I would use my tamer.
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  6. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

I would have to agree that I remember melee damage to be far greater back in the day. I can't explain the reasoning for this difference (higher monster HP?, lower damage output?), but I feel there is one.
  7. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

MikeK likes this.
  8. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

Most likely your weapons are in bad shape. Please contact me, I can give you silver weapons and you can destroy undead.

I'm mikek on irc
  9. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  10. a bad name

a bad name Member

I made a bard with magery. Started 50 magery / 50 resist. GMed music in 1 day then got to 95 provo in 2 days.
    1 week later and I have 300k sitting in the bank, a house, a 7x gm pvp mage and 6x gm dexer and working on a tinker. that I macroed up using the money I made from my bard.

Lesson? Bard = $$ until you are established enough and can make a tamer.
    Basoosh likes this.
  11. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member

And of course if you need any help, join IRC channel #PS and we will set you up. Project Sanctuary is a new players guild here. Welcome to UOR!
  12. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

All said. The low dmg is most likely due to bad weapon durability.

Cynic, have you ever considered dropping Healing for a 2nd or 3rd bard skill (or whatever you fancy)? In principle you can get enough healing from wands, pots and magic... I am thinking about that. The problem with peace dexxers is that you cant handle most Boss Monsters and some very though mobs, while Provo helps you out with that.