PVP Ineptitude

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Banichi, May 31, 2014.

1. Banichi

Banichi New Member

Soooo, any thoughts on a pvp template that would be more forgiving for a person (me) who is bad at pvp? I am old and slow and don't have the reflexes I used to (well, probably never had) but would like to play some pvp here and there. So, is there a pvp template for me, or should I stick to crafting and low level pvm?

Thanks in advance,
    Banichi
  2. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

Well, speaking from one who was once a rabid key pounding tank mage who truly LOVED 5x dueling in the old days on Lake Superior, but has since rusted up and just enjoys the casual PvP encounter once and awhile I would recommend a lumberjacker. Good at PvM, builds up some cash flow while working on Lumberjacking and if you give him magery and magic resist at GM, you'll do ok in PvP if you gear up correctly.

Best of Luck, hope you really enjoy UOR
    Jupiter likes this.
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Dexer for sure. LJ is OK, but using a one-handed weapon is much more forgiving since you don't need to disarm to drink potions. So I'd suggest a swords dexer myself, classic 6 dexer skills (magery, weapon, tactics, anatomy, healing, magic resist), and I'd put wrestling in for the 7th. That will allow you some emergency healing magic without turning into a human pincushion. Eventually as you get comfortable, you can drop wrestling and replace with something like 30 Poison, 70 Tracking, so you can re-poison your katana on the go.

When/if war axes get fixed, you could alternatively choose macing. It allows you to use greater heal wands too, without a melee penalty. Probably the ultimate tank.
  4. Logan

Logan New Member

Might as well go Eval and get spell dmg and defensive wrestle with the same skill.

You could also go magery/hide for some hit and run attacks

Med warriors are also common with magery/med. You just can't expect to cast much vs another dexer.

Or if you like playing a mage try magery/med/eval/resist/fencing/tact/anat.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_player&id=41980
    One of my favorite PvP and PvM builds. As for Dalavar's comment regarding potion chugging, that's why Caramon always carries a katana and has it on hotkey. If it's potion time, I toggle to the kat and chug away freely.
    :)
  6. Pulse

Pulse Active Member

Yeah, a med dexer is the route I am taking right now.

Med/dexer of swords.

With the right gear it's a solid char.

100 swords
    100 tactics
    100 magery
    100 med
    100 resist
    95 healing
    80 anat
    25 inscription

80 str/50 int/95 dex

If you don't have to be the best and don't fret getting killed then there are many fun templates to try though.
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Bleh, you're right, because you have Anatomy. D'oh.
  8. Banichi

Banichi New Member

Well, I don't have to be the best, and I die all the time so I don't really mind that, but I would like to be able to hold my own, so to speak.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The easiest template to work with is probably just a heal/stun mage. All you need is a leather suit, a sack of regs/bandies/pots and some hotkeys. I personally get bored not having a weapon to hit people with, but that's not saying mages are terrible. In fact, if you find just one other person you can work well with as a team, you can be formidable in most fights you encounter.
  10. Banichi

Banichi New Member

Heal/stun mage sounds simple (which you have probably figured out by now is descriptive of me). I'd like to think I would get bored but honestly I don't think I am skilled enough to get to that point. What type of template teams up well with a stun mage?
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Another stun mage.

If you can cross heal well and synchronize your casts, you can drop anyone who doesn't get a good cross heal from a teammate.
  12. Banichi

Banichi New Member

Sounds like the heal/stun mage and a lot of practice is the best bet for me. Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate your expertise/knowledge.
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

No problem. Always ask around in IRC or otherwise, for some duels. That's really the best bet for getting comfortable with your hotkeys. Quick repetition without interference. Of course, field will always be different but in the initial warm-up period, you'll want to get used to the hotkeys before that happens.
  14. Banichi

Banichi New Member

Yah, I am at the what do I hotkey point of the process (as well as building the character), but I'll figure it out. I am sure there is a guide out there somewhere. Thanks Blaise.
  15. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

If you want to work with a stun/heal Mage shoot me a message in irc over the next few days and we can jump on test center and I'll show you some things.
    HateCrime likes this.