Renaissance Hosting Change - 11/29/12 - 9pm CST

Discussion in 'Shard News' started by Chris, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

In the following week we will be moving the shard to a new hosting provider.

I will be posting additional details as I get them such as worldwide ping times, location and migration details.

~ Site Information~
    Server: Quad Core Server, SAS Raid Drive Setup, 8GB of Ram.
    Speed : 100 Mbs Up/ 100 Mbs Down

~ Migration Process ~
    At a pre announced time the server will go down like normal, the data will be moved to the new hosting site and the server will be brought back up. We estimate this will only take 5-10 minutes. Players may have to connect to the server using an alternate address until the DNS changes propagate properly. Such as play.uorenaissance.com, vs login.uorenaissance.com. After 2-4 hours everything should be back to normal.

Migration Complete! Use login.uorenaissance.com to connect.

After 11/30/12 players can use either address to connect to the server. Should you wish to connect directly via the IP address you can do that also.
    Note: The port will not change, it will stay 2593.

Thank you for your patience during this transition. The staff remains committed to providing our players with an Ultima Online shard free of donation shops regardless of our hosting costs.

Host Speed Test
    [​IMG]

Host Ping Tests
    [​IMG]

~ Reasons for the Change~
    We currently have a dedicated 10 Mbs Down / 4 Mbs Up connection that we purchased from Cox for our own dedicated server that we own. After a recent firmware update to the edge router the packet headers for upstream data starting becoming a problem with the hosts traffic management system. After a month of troubleshooting to find the problem, rolling back the firmware updates, etc we finally decided to cancel the services and move to a different hosted solution.

Update 11/27/12, Talked to the Cisco rep today and they confirmed that there was a bug in a firmware update that has hobbled much of Cox's network services related to their fiber network upon which the server connects to. We were given an ETA of a fix but are still moving forward with plans for the new host.
  2. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Re: Renaissance Hosting Change - Tentatively 11/28/12

Thanks for the updates and all the work you folks are doing to make this the best shard ever.

Giant friend hugs for all involved
  3. Caly

Caly New Member

Yeah seriously thank you!
  4. Duffrey

Duffrey Member

Will this change improve the pings in europe (germany) as well?. Currently I am at 200-300 ms.
  5. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

It should, but I wont be sure until I run some tests tomorrow. I will post them here when I do.
  6. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Great work Chris. I know that everyone really appreciates what the staff is doing here. A donation free UO shard is 1 of a kind indeed!
  7. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm sorry to hear about this stroke of bad luck, and I thank you guys for your efforts.
  8. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Thanks for the hard work