Server Status, Connection Issues, Denial of Service Attacks

Discussion in 'Shard News' started by Chris, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Its that time again as a server owner has decided that their server is not appealing enough on its own merits that they have been reduced to sending Distributed Denial of Service(DDOS) attacks against UO:Renaissance. This is not the first time some petty person has tried this, nor will it be the last.

What they do not realize is that Renaissance is a business, and as such we use business class hosting. And when someone attempts to target this host every source node used in the DDOS is logged and reported to their local ISP. The source of the DDOS is eventually traced and at some point in the future a scared 19 year old boy will be sharing a jail cell with "Bubba". (This happened to the last kid who though selling DDOS services to a UO server operator was a good idea.)

Every time an attack is directed at our server we work very closely with our host to report everything we can to the authorities. DDOS's targeted at websites and gaming hosting companies are common and rarely reported. This is why UO:Renaissance uses a business hosting service. The same type of place Microsoft and Sony use. They consider attacks of this type serious and take the necessary steps to provide information to the relevant authorities.

Thanks to our players generous support of the server over the years UO:Renaissance has a fantastic host with active mitigation services for DDOS attacks.

Update Note
    As the attacks continue daily the server our mitigation is active pretty much 24/7 to catch and deal with the sources of the DDOS attack. If you have trouble connecting I have found that this trick works well. Open Razor twice. Try to log in with the first. If it hangs. Quickly log in with the second razor. This helps the mitigation system see your traffic as normal and gets you reconnected quickly. The first attempt will most likely fail and can be end tasked. If you continue to have trouble feel free to contact a staff member.

What to expect, Planning Accordingly
    - As they attempt to take us down expect the website, IRC and game servers to experience abnormal traffic.
    - Plan for safer activities for the immediate future.
    - Make sure to be careful when putting non bonded pets in dangerous situations that a disconnection could impact. (Pet training, dungeon farming, etc)

What this means if you experience a disconnection while playing.
    - The server will experience a brief interuption in connectivity as the protections kick in.
    - Good chance you will be disconnected.
    - Just try to reconnect slowly and let it fail once or twice.
    - If you hang on connecting, cancel the client and try again quickly.
    - Once the DDOS scrubbers see your traffic as valid and normalized you will be able to log back in.
    - Depending on your location and proximity to the DDOS traffic it might take a bit more time.
    - It looks like they are sending roughly two attacks a day so plan your ingame activities accordingly for the time being.

Staff Assistance
    - The Renaissance staff will be available to help with pet rescues, lost pets, and any other DDOS related issue when possible.
    - Should you die during a DDOS remember that your corpse will not decay for 1 hour (14 minutes once opened).
    - If you wish to avoid stat loss on a bonded pet, feel free to contact the staff for a assistance (if the death was due to the DDOS).
    Note: The staff cannot replace non bonded lost pets, keep that in mind.
    - Make sure to check this thread or IRC for additional updates.

We apologize for the inconvenience this causes your gameplay here and we will do everything we can to help. In the end all these attacks accomplish is galvanizing support for the server and convincing players to support the server financially.

And a final word. While some of our players might think that retaliation is the solution to this problem. It is not. The staff here will never encourage or recommend anyone commit a crime or purchase DDOS services targeted at another game server. You are welcome to spread the word about the server doing this, and make their reputation as engaging in this behavior well known. But we will not stoop to their level. Renaissance is a great server that stands on its own merits. People play here because they choose to.

If you have not taken the the time to look into supporting the server this is a good time to do it. Remember telling your friends about the server, advertising, new player assistance and guide writing are all just as important as donating.
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/support

4938-a07e6d02443a305f3b96f80d2a292a47.jpg

Note: We are aware of who is behind this, and why they are doing it. And will intentionally not be naming them here. I would recommend our players do the same. Giving them free advertising is what they want and they do not deserve the satisfaction.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  2. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Fight the good for us @Chris !
    newme likes this.
  3. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    newme, Azerothian, NCCML and 4 others like this.
  4. Pedigar

Pedigar Well-Known Member

Post the article about the guy getting nabbed, so we can all have a good laugh!
    Gwenno, Hadrian and newme like this.
  5. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

I remember this happened around last anniversary, annoying but not much beyond that thanks to your efforts. @Chris This just means UOR is doing it right. HYPE!
    newme likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

7. Thelax

Thelax Well-Known Member

That's seriously crappy of them
    newme and Pill like this.
  8. Balgami

Balgami Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

9. Nose Goblin

Nose Goblin Active Member

UOF is known for this type of shenanigans against other servers that interfere with their donation revenue
    Azerothian likes this.
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

11. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Hahaha, This is why I love this server. Chris dont take no skah!!!
    Plus all the staff here is super professional and are held to high standards.

Its a great sandbox to play in.
    Steady Mobbin and newme like this.
  12. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

That Abram guy was slick
  13. Airin

Airin Well-Known Member

Great to see you there will be consequences for those idiots. I don't really see how they could think this would help them. Seems to me this only proves this server is much better then theirs, if they have to resort to this type of thing to try and get more players.
    Gavyn Lughna, Azerothian and Holden like this.
  14. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

As always, thank you for all your hard work Telamon, I can only imagine the amount of frustration and effort involved in dealing with toxic situations like this. Anyone who believes that DDoS'ing another shard will make their own shard better is delusional. It seems like a petty reaction to the success and popularity of Renaissance, and instead of making their own shards better they sling mud and try to bring us down - I'm glad that it's not working.

It's great to see that the DDoS protection on UO:R is working and that people are being punished for DDoSing servers, I just wish that we didn't have to deal with this!
    Azerothian, Airin and Jill Stihl like this.
  15. Leopold

Leopold Well-Known Member

Thank you Telamon for providing such a great place for us to play. I expect (and hope) that UOR will be around for many years into the future. And I think this is very likely because you are not here to get rich, but to recreate the beloved game that was taken away from us nearly 2 decades ago.

The community here is fantastic, and despite these recent DDOS attacks, I have seen the following occur:
    - A fun and successful 6th anniversary celebration
    - The Great Moonglow Bazaar (P'S has received feedback that players had a blast with this @Lord Krake )
    - @merlin8666 's resist party was very successful, even though it was right in the middle of the attacks. There were casters from various time zones who were able to recover quickly and keep it going.
    - Exciting announcements about upcoming holiday events planned for the end of the year

The people behind the DDoS attacks may have created an annoyance, but they did not slow down the hype train and will not be able to accomplish their goals. I certainly don't speak for anyone but myself, but UOR is not only the only shard I will play on, but it is the only game I will play, as was the case ever since I quit the original UO back in 2001.
    Gavyn Lughna, Azerothian, One and 5 others like this.
  16. Sara

Sara Well-Known Member

Wish they would give up already, been such a pain to log in all day today, I mean they aren't going to win anything. Our staff is better, if our player base wanted to play there they would instead we slowly work at log into our server. Just want to play me some UOR!!!
  17. Minax

Minax Well-Known Member

Waiting 10 min for logging is fuckng ridiculous! Anyone else having hard time waiting for log in ? Then I get the no response bs....
  18. Raajaton

Raajaton Active Member

Yes, this happens a lot lately. I'm sure Chris is doing everything he can - make sure to place your blame on the spineless bastards needlessly attacking our server.

Bitches are really hampering my activity time - might not get full welfare plat next month ;(
    Airin likes this.
  19. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member

Yea I'm getting hella bored of waking up or coming home and seeing I've lost connection.

I've got macros I want to run over night for crafting & skill gain. Super frustrating.
  20. PWGuy

PWGuy Member

I'm getting really tired of this .. understand it's an external threat/issue but nonetheless.