Skill Gain Guide: Carpentry

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Lightshade, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Skill Gain Guide: Carpentry

[​IMG]

Text Version:

From Vendor Trained Skill to 47.3, I made Medium Crates. I used 3,750 boards.
    From 47.3 to 71.7 skill, I made Ballot Box Deeds. I used 10,000 boards.
    From 71.7 to 75.0 skill, I made Fishing Poles. I used 2,000 boards.
    From 75.0 to 87.0 skill, I made Quarter Staves. I used 6,000 boards.
    From 87.0 to GM skill, I made Gnarled Staves. I used 25,000 boards.

Total Boards Used: 46,750

Note 1: I simply ran macros till boards ran out on this and did not attempt to do it as efficiently as possible. There is probably more efficiency to be had than this. I sparred up a separate Lumberjacker to 65.0 to supply my Carpenter. By the time the Carpenter reached GM, the Lumberjacker had only made it into the mid 90's skill-wise from chopping trees.

Note 2: When doing any crafting skill gain, always give the Success Chance a look when determining what to make. If your Success Chance is 100.0%, you will not be gaining. This goes for any Difficulty-Based skill, but with crafting menus its really easy to see.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    Nusir, Black Tortoise, rick and 5 others like this.
  2. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

Thanks, I was just getting ready to start a carpenter today since I have so many boards from getting my LJing up. I'll use this guide. Appreciate it.
  3. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

You can keep all the staves in pouches and then sell to npc's for extra profit. (Better to use pouches or backpacks because they do not block movement. I started with crates and my house was cluttered in no time).

If you really want to maximize gold gain as opposed to using less boards (theyre pretty easy to get) you can make wooden shields 60-73.6 shown skill and sell those to npcs.
  4. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

Thank you both for the information, this will help me a lot.
  5. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Adding a link to this from the master guide, thanks!
  6. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

What vendor did you get carpentry to 47? I can only get mine to 37 from any that I checked.

Thanks,
  7. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I think he means he made medium crates from the point where he bought the skill to 47. (and he used 3,750 board to get there)
  8. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

Perfect, thank you. That's what I'm making now cause I could not find a vendor to get me higher.
  9. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I think vendors will never train past 35.0 real skill. I think they get some random value between 20.0 and 35.0 that they will train you to.
  10. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

I'm assuming the skill numbers are not show real? It's been so many years since I did carpentry, blacksmithing tailoring etc.....

Thanks,
  11. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

Maybe I just have had bad luck in my 11 days on this server. It took me 58k boards doing this exact guide to GM Carpentry. Still a good guide either way but I'd say plan 48-58k boards to be safe.

Off this subject, but I also read some posts and some people were saying they only had 50k and 80k boards from GMing LJ and I ended up with 96k at GM LJ. My chaarcter must be cursed!
  12. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I am not positive, but some versions of the skill-gain code reference a player's skill cap in determining skill gain rate. If this server uses a similar formula, its possible that can change your skill gain rate. My crafter only had GM Tailoring and I had not skill capped the character, so they had only like 300-ish skill points. Chris or Ezekiel would have to weigh in on how skill gain is handled, but there is a possibility of differences if that is the case. Also, there's simply the chance of gain that can skew things greatly. I know on my Tailoring characters, the difference in cloth used was quite a bit.
  13. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

From; http://www.uorenaissance.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3836#p26730

14. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

The gains can be pretty random toward the end. I just had to use nearly 70k boards to finish. The gnarled staff part is just brutal.
  15. Henderson!

Henderson! Well-Known Member

I used a different method and was pleased with the results. I started with about 93k boards collected by getting gm lumberjacking. With those boards I got two characters from 50 to gm in carpentry (had less than 1000 in the end and I also made at least 50 small crates to hold all of tbe crap).

I started making fishing poles as soon as I could, 68.4 I believe. Could be slightly off that's from memory. Also started making gnarled staffs as soon as I could, 78.9. So all I did was ballot boxes, fishing poles and gnarled staffs. Don't know if that was the best method from a boards used standpoint but it seemed the simplest way and again I was happy with my results. Hope that helps.
    Steady Mobbin and ReZon like this.
  16. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

17. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

I followed along this path, and used 41k boards to GM my first carpenter from 50 skill. The only thing I did differently was made fishing poles up to 80 and then moved to the gnarled staff. Good stuff!
  18. Mighty Ore

Mighty Ore Active Member

Does anyone have a macro already set up for carpentry?
  19. Mighty Ore

Mighty Ore Active Member

Henderson, Do you have the macro you used for this method available for RAZOR?
  20. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018