The Brawler (suggestion)

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Jebidiah, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

This is a thought/suggestion for UOR no its not era, just adds to a different aspect of fighting. Currently wrestling can strike for 1-2 damage at GM including tactics and anatomy. My suggestion is to add to a slight variety. Allow wrestling damage to be manipulated by wearing gloves. Leather adds up to 4 damage so max would be 6, ringmail up to 8: max 10, and metal adds up to 10: max 12. Allow magical armor to add slightly more to damage and decay on gloves. Is this a critical implement ? Heck no, but its unique and would not harm the overall aspect of the UOR experience just add a slight difference as wrestling is primarily used for the sole purpose of evading melee strikes.

If this went in to play would I make this character knowing the overall damage is relatively low? heck yes dont ask me that question.

In the end its just a thought so yea..
    Jupiter likes this.
  2. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Active Member

Not sure that would be balanced, right? Wouldn't a mage already get a bonus to their ability to defense cast successfully while being hit? Not to mention disarm ability (Anat+Wrest) plus RA/MR/Bless bonus....so spell damage plus a quick potential 4-12?

I can't verify all my info correctly cause work blocks UOR :(
  3. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

Potentially, however a mage can typically only wear leather armor and still get a meditation bonus out of it. Ringmail or metal armor and their meditation is severely hindered. If a mage only ever wears leather armor than the damage done is extremely minimal, not accounting for the fact that most dexxers wear decent armor which would more than likely block that attack with no tactics involved. Can a macro be made to quickly put up and drop a metal armor glove? Yes, but same can be said about explosion pots and wands I can macro their ability within micro seconds to strike my target not to mention a dex mage using a macro to quickly bring up their weapon to strike at even greater damage... So not to put you down or anything, but do I think its an imbalance? No.
  4. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

I want to throw this out there as it seems not all of my information is correct my warrior with gm tactics and anatomy and 0 wrestling just strucka punch at 8 dmg is my information off???? YES! But I still believe the idea overall to be solid.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  5. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I would personally love to see a proper damage variable for Wrestling but I can't begin to guess at how to balance it. I would really enjoy being in a pack of thugs that just runs around punching the crap out of people. I had a buddy who did that in Oblivion and was basically a boxer-mage the whole time, it was hilarious.
  7. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

Quagmire says No means Yes
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Dibs on platemail gloves of balron damnation.
  9. Mandevu

I think the suggestion forum is starting to get out of hand.
    newme and Jupiter like this.
  10. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.. haha out of hand. ;)
    newme likes this.
  11. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

haha good one

but back on topic... Brawling
    newme likes this.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

In case you had trouble reading the names of the forums, there is no Suggestion forum. We are, however, having a discussion, in the appropriate place.
  13. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

My suggestion to making sure a mage can not overpower with the use of wrestling like many have suggested is to combine the technique. A dex warrior needs tactics and anatomy to max their damage. Why not do the same, but add in use like arms lore (just a suggestion I think there is something else already tagged to it, but still) So Wrestling with (arms lore), tactics, anatomy to initiate higher damage outcome... as I said in one of my posts my warrior with 0 wrestling and gm tactics and Anatomy struck another character at 8 damage maximum with fists only, (seems bugged, but beside the point). So if right now the maximum can be at 8 damage then making Wrestling more feasible for combat is not that unrealistic nor would unbalance much.
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Valorite Runic Platemail Gloves of Vanquishing and Daemon's Breath plz. Kthx
  15. Mandevu

Oh, my bad Blaise, *Era Discussion*. Because this topic is completely relevant to the era.

Edit: Please discuss without personal attacks against other forum users.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Reported trash talk. Thanks for playing.
    1dis·course
    noun\ˈdis-ˌkȯrs, dis-ˈ\
    : the use of words to exchange thoughts and ideas

: a long talk or piece of writing about a subject

I've always thought that Wrestling, being an actual Combat Rating skill, as designed by the creators of UO, should have more use than being a support skill to the non-combat (Miscellaneous) skill Magery. I can see this being implemented fairly easily if it requires a specific set of skills that would balance out any potentially overpowered end result.
  17. Mandevu

Era = UO Renaissance

History perfected = making small tweaks and changes to the existing era mechanics to perfect them.

This does not mean to deviate off into some fairy land of ideas just because you think they're cool. The current "discourse" you're having is to add an entirely new function that was never even remotely part of this era. I swear you guys sit here sometimes and just start blurting out the first idea that pops into your mind. And yes, Blaise, everyone on these forums knows that you have never and will never agree with anyone on any subject no matter how wrong you may be. You seem to thoroughly enjoy arguing just to argue because you arrogantly find yourself overly witty, and think that twisting whatever subject is being discussed in a manner that suits your personal logic is somehow constructive and legitimate. Reality is, just because you somehow have the time to sit here day in and day out bombarding every topic with walls of text attempting to refute or support any and every claim you make, does not mean you are right. It's exhausting trying to sift through every topic on the boards because lo and behold there's Blaise throwing his infinite knowledge into every damn issue. I realize you seem to think that you know everything about the game, but this idea above all the others is probably the most ludicrous I've seen--and of course here you are, yet again, campaigning for it.

Save yourself the inevitable 2000 word response we all know is coming to try and refute what I've said, but I'm just going to quote it and tag it with a tldr.
  18. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

Take the crap fighting to the trash talk forum. Secondly there is no suggestion forum and from what I can gather this forum is used for such. Lastly History perfected this is a small tweak considering its a combat orientated skill it should be used appropriately that was my point from the start. Even if you disagree with the use of gloves as a means of adding damage the combat skill itself should be a combat skill not an assistive skill like meditation or evaluating intelligence.
    newme likes this.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand you're only interested in yourself and PvP. If you paid half as much attention to what you read, as you do to thinking about how good you are at PvP, you'd understand how off-base your statements are. I agree with a great many ideas, not all of which are my own. I disagree with ideas that....now get this...and brace yourself....I don't agree with. Holy fucking shit, attack on America, I have my own mind and formulate my own opinions and decide for myself what to agree with or not.

Thank you for frothing at the mouth again because people want to flesh out some details in UO that you don't want or care for. Your opinion is stated, thanks for playing.

There is room for this change, if it is thought out entirely and implemented carefully. This is not something that will destroy PvP, 5x duels or anything else, if it is implemented carefully.
  20. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

^^^^