The Business of Bulk Orders

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Lyta, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Title.png

Welcome to my guide for Bulk Order Deeds. The system that has a way of providing equal amounts of fun and frustration, I hope this guide can minimize that frustration.

If you are new and looking for a guild, check out the very end of the guide. Project Sanctuary is always available to help new players get started out on this server.

Given the amount of information there is to wrap your head around, I have made an effort to be as succinct as possible. At the end of more complex sections I have summarized important facts and tips to help with a little speed reading. So! Let’s jump right in!

1. What's the big deal with BODs?
    2. Training a Crafter
    3. Types of Deeds
    4. Pulling, Grabbing, Snagging and Gathering
    5. The Rocket Science of Pulling
    6. Sorting Through the Mess
    7. Completing Deeds
    8. Gathering Resources
    9. The Rocket Science of Crafting
    10. I like to Flip It, Flip It
    11. Let's Talk About Trash, Baby
    12. Show Me the Money!
    13. The End, and Project Sanctuary
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Kiryana, r3ckon3r, Hawkeye and 15 others like this.
  2. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

1. What’s the big deal with BODs?

Bulk Order Deeds are, essentially, a lottery system for crafters. Instead of having to make your living purely by peddling your wares to other players, you can earn tradable rewards and gold by completing deeds for NPCs. Currently the system is only available to tailors and blacksmiths.

Once you hit 70.1 skill in your trade of choice, you can start to gather deeds; which are available every six hours. Smithing BODs are provided by a blacksmith vendor and tailoring BODs from - yup, a tailor vendor. Keep in mind that your level of skill limits the type and material of BODs you have a chance to get. Refer to section 5. The Rocket Science of Pulling, for further information. Also of note is the fact that you cannot obtain Large BODs until 85.1 skill. Therefore between 70.1 skill and 85.1 skill, you will only obtain Small BODs.

Don’t want to spend your time hammering on an anvil or poking your finger with a sewing needle? You are in luck! The admin crew for UOR have been working diligently on adding carpenters, bowcrafters, fletchers and tinkers to the system. However, there is currently no time frame for implementation.

Tips:
    • You don’t have to complete BODs to make money off of them. Some players don’t bother completing BODs; instead, they sell the uncompleted deeds to other players.
    • Most players that take part in BODs have a crafter on each of their three allowable accounts. This way you can obtain three deeds every six hours. If you can manage getting online to grab your deeds in the morning, noon and night - you can manage 9 deeds a day.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  3. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

2. Training a Crafter

There are a number of great guides available to help you reach Grandmaster in the skill of your choice. Below are links to the two guides that I used. Each guide discusses macros that can be used in Razor as well as what items raise skills the fastest for the lowest cost. However, for simplicity, I have included a list of what items I made at each skill level.

Blacksmith - Guide by Captain Morgan -
    http://uorforum.com/threads/gming-blacksmithing-under-40k-ingots.7094/

Code:
    Materials used : roughly 39,000 ingots

00 - 39 Train at NPC
    30 - 45 Mace
    45 - 53 Maul
    53 - 70 Kryss
    70 - 86 Short Spear
    86 - 95 Platemail Gorget
    95 - 100 Platemail Gloves
    Tailor - Guide by Poor Richard -
    http://uorforum.com/threads/poor-richards-guide-the-tailor.1611/

Code:
    Materials used : roughly 26,000 cloth and 500 leather

00 - 30 - Train at NPC
    30 - 40 - Short pants
    40 - 50 - Fancy shirts
    50 - 55 - Fancy dress
    52 - 74.6 - Robes
    74.6 - 99.6 - Oil cloths
    99.6 - 100 - Studded leather gorgets
    Tips:
    • As mentioned in section 1 above, you can start getting BODs at 70.1 skill. I recommend to start gathering BODs once you have sufficient skill; don’t wait until you hit GM.
    • A strategy that some players use is to keep crafters between 70.1 an 80 (Real) skill. Within this window you will only be able to obtain Small BODs in leather and cloth as a Tailor. (Large BODs require 85.1 skill, Spined BODs require 80 skill, Horned 90 and Barbed 99). For Tailoring, this would allow you a higher chance to obtain the Small BODs you need to complete Large BODs that can have Clothing Bless Deed rewards. A little bit of info from a player that does this can be found here. The same strategies could be used for Blacksmithing to target deeds in a certain ore color. Refer to The Rocket Science of Pulling for information on what skill level you need for deeds in a specific resource. If this tip has confused you, read through the rest of the guide and refer back to this point.
    • Another great source of information to raise skills is the One Guide to Rule Them All by Basoosh. In this thread you can find all sorts of information and links to help get you started.
    • You can also use the Compendium for UOR. On the main page just search for the skill you are interested, in the top right. Most skill pages will have extensive information about that skill. This is also a great way to find any server related information such as drop rates on monsters, number of items in the game, etc.
  4. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

3. Types of Deeds

There are two types of deeds: Small BODs and Large BODs. These types apply to both the tailoring and blacksmithing systems. Small and large deeds look the same. The only way to tell the difference is to open up the deed. Tailoring BODs are colored green. Smithing BODs are colored grey:

SmithTailor.png
    The minimum skill level to get a small deed is 70.1 (real); the minimum skill level for large deeds is 85.1 (real). At Grandmaster you have an 80% chance of getting a small deed and a 20% chance at getting a large. In order to open a BOD, double click it. Note : It must be in your backpack to open.

A small BOD looks like this (my mark-ups are in green and red):
    This small deed requires 20 leather caps, made with spined leather, of exceptional quality.
    SBOD-Example.png

A large BOD looks like this(my mark-ups are in green and red):
    This large deed requires small deeds of 10 bone armor made with spined leather, of exceptional quality.
    LBOD-Example.png

Small BODs that have been filled can be turned in for ‘uncommon’ rewards of mediocre value. Large BODs are completed by applying small BODs that you have filled. The rewards for large types are significantly more rare and thus more valuable. I have created an image to help explain this process:
    SmallToLarge.png

In the image above, there are 4 small BODs: wizard hat, body sash, robes and boots. These small deeds could be handed to the NPC individually for a reward when filled. Instead, you could use them to fill a large BOD that requires those items.

In addition to the small or large types, BODs will require the items be normal or exceptional quality. If exceptional items are required, it will be stated in the bottom half of the deed window (right above material requirements). In both screenshots above, exceptional items are required.

If we assume that the deeds require items at exceptional quality, the rewards for the small deeds, versus large deed, would be as follows (note that values are as of April 2016):
    Note: The assumption is that all deeds in the above example require 10 items of exceptional quality.
    SBOD-Reward.png

LBOD-Reward.png

As you can see - the large deed has a much greater potential for profit. To obtain the same level of profit by turning in small deeds, you would need to hand in roughly 250 of them. You can find more info about profits and rewards in Section 12. Show Me the Money!

Shorthand is often used to refer to a deed. It is typically the number of items(exceptional or not) - the material. For example 10xRobes would indicate a small BOD for 10 exceptional robes. Large BODs typically have a name that refers to the item requirement, since the small BODs required are standard.

For smith deeds, this is fairly simple, as the name corresponds to the blacksmith menu. For example, Ringmail would refer to the small deeds for ringmail gloves, ringmail sleeves, ringmail leggings and ringmail tunic. Shorthand for a large ringmail deed would be 10xIron Ringmail would indicate a large deed for 10 exceptional ringmail suit made of iron.

For tailor deeds, non-cloth LBODs are similar to smithing. For example, there are footwear, leather, studded, female and bone armor sets. However, cloth LBODs have names for each outfit:
    • Gypsy: Bandana, Shirt, Skirt, Thigh Boots
    • Pirate: Skullcap, Doublet, Kilt, Shoes
    • Farmer: Straw Hat, Tunic, Long Pants, Boots
    • Wizard: Wizard Hat, Body Sash, Robe, Boots
    • Fishergirl: Floppy Hat, Full Apron, Plain Dress, Sandals
    • Town Crier: Feathered Hat, Surcoat, Fancy Shirt, Short Pants, Thigh Boots
    • Lady: Bonnet, Half Apron, Fancy Dress, Sandals
    • Jester: Jester Hat, Jester Suit, Cloak, Shoes
    • Hat-Set: Tricorne Hat, Cap, Wide-Brim Hat, Tall Straw Hat
    • Footwear: Sandals, Shoes, Boots, Thigh Boots [It is counter-intuitive to fill these - the SBODs are better used elsewhere]

Important Facts:
    • There are two types of BODs: Small and Large
    • BODs will require items of either normal or exceptional quality
    • You need filled small BODs to fill large BODs
    • Large BOD completion rewards have a higher value
    Tips:
    • Unfilled small BODS have a value of their own. Sometimes players would rather buy small deeds from others to complete their large deeds; instead of relying on a chance that they will obtain what that they need, eventually. For example, I have seen small blacksmith BODs of exceptional valorite platemail arms sell for 3 million gold.
    • You will notice that the only 5-piece cloth set for the tailor is the Town Crier.
    • You will also notice that each cloth set requires footwear. Therefore it is not very worthwhile to fill large cloth BODs for footwear. You should save those small footwear BODs to help complete other cloth sets.
    • Shorthand for deeds is [number] [x for exceptional] [material] [item]. Example: 20xValorite Plate Arms
    Twister, Azerothian and Gideon Jura like this.
  5. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

4. Pulling, Grabbing, Snagging and Gathering

Obtaining BODs from vendors is often referred to as pulling. To pull a deed, you visit the vendor related to your tradeskill and say “Order Status”. If you have the appropriate skill level a window will pop-up asking whether you accept the BOD:

GetBOD.png
    If you choose to accept the BOD, it will appear in your backpack. You can obtain a new BOD every 6 hours. There are ways to obtain deeds faster than 6 hours, this is discussed in the section 10. I Like To Flip It Flip It, below.

Important Facts:
    • Say "Order Status" to your tradeskill vendor for pulling a BOD.
    • You can pull a new BOD every 6 hours.
    Tips:
    • BODs are not blessed or newbied - if you die, it will fall to your corpse; it can also be stolen from you. My suggestion is to avoid going AFK with deeds in your backpack. Either put the deed in a safe spot (house or bank), or log out at an inn.
    • Turning in a BOD resets the 6 hour timer. Remember to get a new deed after every single turn in. This is discussed further in section 10. I Like To Flip It Flip It, below.
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Azerothian and Gideon Jura like this.
  6. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

5. The Rocket Science of Pulling

I have allocated the majority of the skill level specifications and pulling percentages to their own section. Some people won’t be interested in bothering with the numbers. If you are among those, feel free to skip this section. The graphs below depict the minimum skill requirements to obtain BODs in the various types of materials:

SkillReq.png

The graphs below depict the chances of obtaining a BOD in each material, at 100 skill:
    MaterialChance.png

When you obtain a BOD, if you have enough skill, there is a varying chance of what size that deed will be. At Grandmaster, the chance of a small deed v.s. a large is as follows:
    LargeVSsmall.png

For the Blacksmith BOD system, there are varying chances to get armor or weapon deeds; depending on whether the deed you get is a small or a large. The next couple of graphs depict the different percentage chances:
    SmithPercents.png
    A number of BODs can be extremely rare making it difficult to complete some large deeds. This is where flipping and trading come in. Flipping is described in the section 10. I Like to Flip It, Flip It below; trading is pretty self explanatory. If you come across a rare deed (large or small) that you are a long way from completing, it would be beneficial to trade that deed for something that would benefit another large that you are further along with.

Important Facts:
    • At GM your chances are 80% for a small deed and 20% for a large.
    • For smithing deeds if you pull a small there is a 25% chance that will be a weapon and 75% chance it will be armor.
    • For smithing deeds if you pull a large there is a 55.5% chance that will be a weapon and a 45.5 chance it will be armor.
    Tips
    • Some deeds are so rare that it can take up to a year to get all the small deeds you need for a large. I strongly encourage you to take part in Flipping and Trading.
    dissident, Azerothian and Gideon Jura like this.
  7. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

6. Sorting Through the Mess

6.1 Bulk Order Books

The only in-game filing system that exists to manage a collection of Bulk Order Deeds are called Bulk Order Books. Like the deeds that they hold, Bulk Order Books are not blessed or newbied. They have zero weight, which means they can only be stolen by random target unless they are in a container that can be stolen. If you must carry a book, put it in a container that has other heavy items so that the container cannot be stolen. Personally I wouldn't recommend taking chances. The thieves on this server can be relentless.

The books can be obtained by purchase from another player, or as a reward for turning in small BODs. The highest chance of obtaining them using tailoring deeds is 10%, which is fairly low. The highest chance of obtaining a book using blacksmithing deeds is 45%.

Bulk Order Books are fairly rudimentary. They are essentially spreadsheets. Each book is able to hold up to 500 of any type of Bulk Order Deeds, regardless of craft, size, quality, material type, etc. You can use them to sort and keep track of your deeds, but each book is a stand-alone item.

You can filter Bulk Order Books to show deeds by the following variables:
    1. Type (All, Small, or Large)
    2. Quality (All, Normal, or Exceptional)
    3. Material (All, Iron, Dull Copper, Shadow Iron, Copper, Bronze, Gold, Agapite, Verite, Valorite, Cloth/Leather, Spined Leather, Horned Leather, or Barbed Leather)
    4. Quantity (All, 10, 15, or 20)
    Aside from storing and sorting, you can use Bulk Order Books to sell your deeds as well. If the book is placed on a player vendor, deeds with a price assigned can be bought by others who browse your books. Be careful when assigning prices, it is quite easy to incorrectly price a deed.

To open a book, simply double click it and you will receive the following window:
    OpenBOD.png

If you click the 'set filter' button in the top left of the window, the filter options will open up:
    Filter.png
    There are hundreds of different ways you can use Bulk Order Books to manage your deed collection. Here is what I use myself, and a few that I have seen others using:
    Sort.png

Sort2.png

Adding a Deed
    To add a deed, just drag and drop the deed onto the book. As long as the book isn’t already full, the deed will be added and the BOD list will automatically display the first page of the book. To remove a deed from the book, click on the “drop” button next to the deed in the BOD list. Deeds cannot be removed from a BOD book while the book is in a vendor’s backpack.

Pricing a Deed
    A deed can be priced by clicking on a corresponding price button next to a deed on a page of the BOD list gump. The deed must be in a player’s backpack. This will cause the BOD list gump to close and reopen on the same page the user was viewing.

Note: By choosing to set a price on individual BODs or on the BOD book itself, players can choose to sell either the whole book as one item, to sell only individual BODs out of that book, or to sell nothing and simply keep the book on display for other players to browse.

Buying a Deed
    A deed can be purchased by clicking on a corresponding price button next to a deed on a page of the BOD list gump. The deed must be in a vendor’s backpack. This will cause the BOD list gump to close and reopen on the same page the user was viewing.

6.2 UO-BOD
    UO-BOD is an external tracking system. Unfortunately it requires you to manually input one deed at a time. Once all of your deeds are added to the software, there are a number of features to help you manage your collection. For example, you can run a report that will suggest large deeds you should pursue, because you have all of the smaller deeds necessary.

You can download the software from this link:
    http://www.uobod.de/

UOBOD is pretty intuitive and easy to figure out, but to get you started I have marked up a few screenshots to explain some features. In the screenshot below you can see the opening window of UOBOD. I loaded an old saved file of my own so you can see what sort of information is displayed. To add a large or small BOD for either tailoring or smithing, you click one of the two buttons I have labelled.

UOBOD1.png

This next screenshot is an example of adding a deed; specifically a small deed. The process for both types of deeds is fairly similar. In the image below, you would select the Tailor tab for adding a small Tailor deed; then you proceed through the series of identifiers to match the deed. The arrows are numbered with the order in which I go through the identifiers. Once everything has been correctly selected, you hit apply; and the deed is added.

UOBOD2.png
    The next shot is adding a large deed. As you can see, the way a deed is identified is pretty similar. One key item of note is the very right hand section of the window. Do not check off any of the boxes here, when adding a large deed. If you check off a box, it is indicating that you have that small deed already. If you have gone through and added the small deed using the 'add small deed' button, you will be adding two of the same deeds by checking this off.

UOBOD3.png

This is the summary window in UOBOD. I have loaded an old file of mine to show as an example. These are all the plain leather large deeds that have been added to the database. All of the items colored in light blue indicate small deeds that I have added to the database as well. The greyed out italic items are small deeds that I do not have yet, and need to complete the large deed. Please note that the reward matrix is incorrect, as mentioned earlier.

UOBOD4.png

6.3 Spreadsheets

Personally, I use my own tracking system. The reward matrix in UO-BOD does not match the UO Renaissance server and I find the interface a little clunky to correct mistakes I have made. You are welcome to check out a partial version of my spreadsheet as an example. I do have plans to release a fully functional spreadsheet in the future, but I have not finished all of the features I want it to have yet.

Important Facts:
    • Bulk Order Books can hold up to 500 deeds.
    • The books are not blessed or newbied.
    • You can set individual prices in a Bulk Order Book and place the book on one of your vendors to sell individual deeds.
    • You can change the color of books in your backpack to green, tan, grey or orange; to help you identify books.
    • You can also rename each book by clicking the button on the bottom right of an open book (in your backpack).
    Tips:
    • Buy your Bulk Order Books from other players if possible. They only cost around 1,000 gold and your small deeds would serve you better elsewhere.
  8. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

7. Completing Deeds

Completing BODs can range from painless to painful, depending on the deed you are trying to fill. Exceptional quality item requirements tend to increase the material and time commitment. For example, a GM tailor has a 92% chance of succeeding at creating bone gloves. Additionally the successful craft only has a 47% chance of being exceptional. This means that a significantly larger number of attempts would need to be made, in order to obtain 20 exceptional bone gloves. It would take roughly 47 attempts to get 20 exceptional bone gloves. Please refer to the next section, 9. The Rocket Science of Crafting, for further information.

Success rates aside, most people use Razor macros to create the items necessary to fill a BOD. Some create the macro to loop the required number of times. I have found that my poor connection tends to bug out the macro and I constantly do not get the correct number of items made. My personal solution is to make the macro loop endlessly and only have the required amount of materials in my backpack. For example if I need 20 skirts, each skirt requires 10 cloth. I will put 200 cloth in my backpack and initiate the macro.

The macro utilizes the “make last” button on the crafting window. Therefore it is necessary to make the first item manually.

Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3997|True
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.8000000
    Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|21|0|0
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:07
    The macro looks like this, in Razor:
    Razor.png
    As you can see, it is fairly simple. To copy and paste this code into a razor macro [on Windows], create a text file called “BOD Fill.txt” in the following location:
    C:\Users\**Your Windows User**\AppData\Roaming\Razor\Macros\

Note that **Your Windows User** has to be replaced with whatever you logged into your computer as. When you open up Razor, you will see “BOD Fill” in the macros tab. If you have already loaded Razor, you can right click in the window where macros are listed, and hit refresh.

MacroDirectory.png

Applying crafted items to fill a BOD is very quick. There is no point in creating a macro for this.
    1. Open the deed
    2. Click the button on the bottom that says “combine this deed with the items requested”.
    3. Click the bag where the crafter items are sitting. In most cases, this is your backpack on your paperdoll.
    4. This process will automatically add any items in your bag, that match the requirements, to the deed.
    For large deeds, the process is the same but you click the small filled deed instead of your backpack.

Important Facts:
    • You have to open up the deed (large or small) to add items to the deed.
    • Razor is the most painless way to craft items for filling a deed and preventing carpal.
    Tips:
    • Just click your backpack to add a collection of items to a BOD. Don’t worry about poking through them or sorting for exceptional quality. The deed will automatically do that for you.
  9. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

8. Gathering Resources

Cloth - Cotton, Flax and Wool
    Best Option: Farm cotton, flax and wool or buy from Players

You can buy it from players or vendors at 2gp a yard; but - why do this when it is so easy to make?! Don't be lazy, save money! Make a rune book for cotton, flax and sheep. There are runebooks that you can copy at most rune libraries.

The Rune Library that I use is just outside of Cove:
    RuneLib.png

CottonBook.png

To harvest cotton, you double click it. The cotton will turn into a bale that you can pick up. To make things easier, add that bale to the scavenger in Razor. This will get razor to automatically grab the bales so you do not have to drag them to your pack. Follow this process to add bales to scavenger:
    1. Click on the Agents Tab in Razor
    2. Select Scavenger from the drop-down menu
    3. Click the 'add (target)' button
    4. Click the bale of cotton in game
    5. Make sure you click the 'push to enable' button in razor to turn Scavenger on
    Keep in mind that collecting these resources will randomly pop up the AFK gump that UOR has. For more information on this, please refer to this post by Chris. It's important, not following the rules can get you jailed and possibly banned.

PickCotton.png
    Flax follows the same gathering process as cotton. Visit the flax field in North East Moonglow, double click to harvest the item and add it to Scavenger. Shearing sheep is a slightly different process. Personally, I cant be bothered to manually double click my dagger and then click each sheep individually; so I made a looping macro that clicks my dagger, then clicks the closest sheep. I just run around the sheep pen until all of them look sheared.

Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|5110|True
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3922|True
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|True|207

You will notice that I have two double click actions. One is for a dagger and one is for a butcher knife. Feel free to remove/replace these with whatever you are using to skin. Please refer to my previous section 7. Completing Deeds for information on copying and pasting a Razor macro.

Once you have a collection of cotton, wool or flax, you will need to use a spinning wheel to turn it into yarn or thread; then you use a loom to turn that yarn or thread into cloth.
    • 1 Cotton = 6 thread; 5 Thread = 1 bolt of cloth (50 yards)
    • 1 Flax = 6 thread; 5 Thread = 1 bolt of cloth (50 yards)
    • 1 Wool = 3 yarn; 5 Yarn = 1 bolt of cloth (50 yards)
    This is the start of the process. Here I am using cotton, yarn and flax on the spinning wheel to get thread and yarn:
    CottonToThread.png

After that has been completed, you can use your thread and yarn on a loom to make cloth bolts:
    ThreadToCloth.png
    Once again, the easiest way to perform this whole process is to use a Razor macro. This is the Razor macro I use to convert cotton to thread:
    Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3577|True
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.2500000
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|4121
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01

Note that this is the most basic macro; cotton, thread and cloth are heavy. If you want to get fancy you can use a sorting agent to put the thread you have made into a chest, and a restock agent to restock your cotton from a chest. This is a little more complex than I would like to have in this guide right now. I may add information on how to do this in the future.

The macro above is only for cotton. If you would like to use the same macro for wool, change the first line after !Loop to:
    Code:
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3576|True
    and lastly, if you would like to use the same macro for flax, use this:
    Code:
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|6812|True
    The final part of the process is using the loom to turn your yarn and thread into cloth. The following macro will work for yarn:
    Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3613|True
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|4192
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01.3000000

To use the same macro for thread, change the line after !Loop to:
    Code:
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|4000|True
    Plain Leather
    Best Option: Buy from NPC or Players

Most players buy their leather from a tanner at 6gp per or other players at 8gp per. There are a number Tanners throughout Britannia. You can find runes to them at any rune library. Vendors start off at 20 stock and can go as high as 999 on an item. If the vendor is not at 999, you will need to run it up. To do this, buy out all of the leather on the vendor. In an hour, go back and you will see that the vendor stock has doubled to 40. You can do this every hour until the vendor gets to 999. Once at 999, the vendor will not go higher. Note that other players can buy from the same vendor; so they might buy out your leather. This works both ways, you could buy out some other player's leather.

The other option is, of course - skinning. This is tedious and most don't do it. However, the best plain leather skinning, I believe, is polar bears on Dagger Isle.

Spined Leather
    Best Option: Buy from Players or Skin from a Champion Spawn (Rikktor or Barracoon)

This cannot be bought from an NPC. It can be bought from players at 20gp per, or you can skin it yourself. The following animals and monsters can be skinned for spined:
    • Imp, Dire Wolf, Ratman, Alligator, Giant Toad, Lizardman, Ridgeback, Lava Lizard, Giant Serpent,
    Horned
    Best Option: Buy from Players or start a fisher

This cannot be bought from an NPC. It can be bought from players at 10gp per, or you can skin it yourself. The following animals and monsters can be skinned for horned:
    • Sea Serpent, Deep Sea Serpent, Drake, Wyvern
    Barbed
    Best Option: Buy from Players or skin in Wind and Destard.

This cannot be bought from an NPC. It can be bought from players at 25gp per, or you can skin it yourself. The following animals and monsters can be skinned for barbed:
    • Nightmare (ha-ha), Ancient Wyrm, Dragon, Shadow Wyrm, White Wyrm
    Bones
    Best Option: Buy from Players or farm a graveyard or farm Shadow Wisps and Undead at a Champion Spawn (Neira or Lord Oaks)

This cannot be bought from an NPC. It can be bought from players at 5gp per, or you can skin it yourself. The following animals and monsters can be skinned for barbed:
    • Shadow Wisps, Undead
    Iron Ore and Ingots
    Best Option: Buy from Players or NPCs Vendors.

Most players buy their ingots from a blacksmith at 8gp per (as a member of the smith guild) or other players at 9gp per. You can, of course, mine your own; which leads me to this next section of information:

Colored Ore and Ingots
    Best Option: Buy from Players or mine your own.

Unlike iron ore, colored ore and ingots cannot be bought from NPCs. You can buy them from players for amounts starting at 10gp per, to 20gp per. The prices are constantly fluctuating, and you will have to check out the Trade Forums for up-to-date information. My personal recommendation is to battle mine, because it's fun as hell. I won't go into Battle Miner character templates, but I will touch on mining the various levels of ore.

My first recommendation is to get UO Auto Map set up to help you make mining a little easier. The first item for UOAM is the Resource Grid. This download divides up the map of Ultima Online into a resource grid. The grid helps you know where one vein ends and another begins. Instructions for download and implementation can be found here, courtesy of Captain Morgan.

The second item is referred to as the UOR Geological Survey. This was a project run by El Horno to map out the ore veins of all mountain areas. You can see an example of the benefit in my screenshot of the Rune Library at the top of this section. Instructions for download and implementation can be found here, courtesy of El Horno and a very large number of players that helped contribute vein locations.

The primary tools of the battle miner are Gargoyle Pickaxes, Gargoyle Shovels and Prospector's Tools. Each swing from a Gargoyle Pickaxe treats the vein as if it was the next level up. Each swing also has a chance of spawning an Ore Elemental; either in the color of the upgraded vein or a Stone/Sandstone/Marble elemental. A graphic display of these upgrades and ores has been provided below.

Gargoyle Shovels can only be used in caves. Each swing with the shovel spawns a golem in the color of that shovel. The neatest thing about shovels is that you do not need any mining to use them. The last swing of a shovel spawns a Golem Lord which has a chance to drop a rare statue.

Prospector's tools upgrade an ore vein. The vein remains at the upgraded level until it runs dry, and then it resets. The Prospector's tool can be used in conjunction with the Gargoyle Pickaxe; but it can only be applied to a vein once, before it runs dry and resets.

MiningTools.png

The following image is a depiction of the 'order' for ore veins. This is applicable to the use of Prospector's Tools and Gargoyle Pickaxes. If you used a Prospector's Tool on a Shadow Iron vein, it would become a Copper vein. If you then used a Gargoyle Pickaxe to mine the vein, each swing would mine Bronze ore. Each swing would also have a chance to spawn a Bronze Elemental or a Stone Elemental.

Veins.png
    Important Facts:
    • Cloth - Gather cotton, wool and flax to make your own
    • Leather - Buy from an NPC
    • Spined - Buy from a player or skin from a Champion (Rikktor or Barracoon) spawn
    • Horned - Start a fisherman or buy from a fisherman
    • Barbed - Buy from a player or farm in Destard/Wind
    • Bones - Buy from a player or farm from a Champion (Neira or Lord Oaks) spawn
    • Iron Ingots - Buy from an NPC
    • Colored Ingots - Buy from a player or start a Battle Miner
    Tips:
    • If you choose to battle mine, make sure to have UO Automap, UO Automap Grid and the UO Geological Survey installed.
  10. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

9. The Rocket Science of Crafting

I have made a few tables outlining the success rates behind crafting specific items and crafting their exceptional quality versions. The attempt and resource numbers are not exact. A success rate of 50% does not mean that if you make 10 attempts you are guaranteed 5 items. These tables are just meant to provide an idea of how many attempts and how much material is required to fill deeds. The formula I have applied takes into account cutting up or smelting normal(non-exceptional) items.

TailorChance1.png

TailorChance2.png

SmithChance1.png

SmithChance2.png
    Tips:
    • The low success percentage of some items versus the reward for the deed leads to some deeds being avoided. For example, most Tailors avoid all bone related deeds that would not result in a dye reward. Most smiths avoid all iron plate exceptional deeds.
  11. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

10. I like to Flip it Flip it

Aaah, the Flip. You may be picturing this : (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻. But no - no, we aren't talking about the meme. We are talking about one of the three best ways to get the deeds that you need; the other two being buying or trading. Another bonus is that the rewards from flips can add up to a significant fortune over time.

When you turn in a BOD (large or small), your 6 hour counter is reset. This means that you can instantly get another deed after a turn-in. This gives you a number of lower end rewards, as well as another chance of getting a deed that you need. I have never heard of a player that has delved into BODs that doesn't flip. It's just that awesome.

Players usually maintain a collection of flips, fill them all at once, and turn them in. Always turn in a flip right after you have obtained a deed from your 6 hour wait. It should look something like this:
    • "Order Status"
    • Accept BOD
    • Turn in a Flip
    • "Order Status"
    • Accept BOD
    • Turn in a Flip
    • "Orde.....well, you get the idea.
    So the question is, "what constitutes a flip?". A flip is any deed that is relatively easy to fill, isn't worth much (unfilled) and isn't needed for a large BOD that you are working on. Let's embellish on this a little lot. The reward for a large 20 exceptional cloth 4 piece or 5 piece (20xCloth) is 50/50 for a light or dark tapestry. The current market value for either of these items (as of April 2016) is between 8,000 and 30,000 gold. These items are a little tough to sell because they are not in extremely high demand. Therefore, instead of using the small 20x cloth deeds to fill large deeds, you turn them in on their own. This allows you a chance at a new deed that might be something you need or something that is worth a lot to trade/sell.

Flips for tailoring and smithing are significantly different and the science of what constitutes a flip varies from player to player.

My personal recommendations for flips:

Tailoring
    • All 20 exceptional smalls (but NOT feathered hat, surcoat, fancy shirt, short pants). These smalls fill the town crier large, which is a worthy reward deed.
    Smithing
    • All small irons (but NOT exceptional plate - these waste too many resources, I trash them).

Important Facts:
    • Turning in a deed resets the 6 hour timer; allowing you to get another deed immediately after turning one in.
    Tips:
    • Don't flip smalls that require items with a low success rate or a low exceptional quality rate. You are wasting time and resources. An example of this is exceptional iron plate or exceptional bone. Trust me.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    eherruh, Azerothian and Gideon Jura like this.
  12. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

11. Let's Talk About Trash, Baby

This ties into the sections on Filling and Flips. It's bound to happen - in fact, it happens more than you would like. Your heart rate increases, you cross your fingers, and you hope to get that elusive deed you need. "Order Status", you say and then **BAM** you get some more trash. Some people throw that scrap on the ground in frustration. Some people put it in a book of trash so they can catalogue how much junk has come their way.

What is trash?

Trash is anything that isn't worth your time to fill either as a flip or for a rare reward. Hang on, this will make sense in a second. Remember how I mentioned flipping all my small 20 exceptional cloths? Well, that makes large 20 exceptional cloths TRASH. The only large 20 exceptional cloth that I save and make an effort to fill are the town criers. Remember those? Feathered hat, Surcoat, Fancy Shirt, Short Pants and Thigh Boots. As I mentioned in the flip section, I do not flip these smalls. They are the only 5 piece cloth large sets and they yield a bear rug. Love me those bear rugs. You can get between 30,000 and 70,000 gold for a rug, making it worth my time.

I also trash large footwear deeds. Those four small footwear deeds can be used to complete four separate large deeds, instead of one. Therefore you are always better off using your footwear deeds individually.

For smithing, I generally trash all exceptional iron plate. This ties in to time versus money. Plate sets are one of the more difficult sets to complete with exceptional items; the rewards for 20xIron plate just aren't sufficient. It is much easier to get those rewards through an easier BOD completion. Please refer to the previous section 9. The Rocket Science of Crafting and the later section 12. Show Me the Money!, for further information.

Tips:
    • One man's trash is another man's treasure. I wouldn't recommend throwing things you don't want on the ground. Especially if it's a rare deed. You never really know. Just throw that thing into a separate Bulk Order Book named "Trash". Books take up very little room.
  13. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

12. Show Me the Money!

Last, but not least - rewards. This is the entire reason behind slugging your way though those green and grey deeds! I've seen players pull small smithing deeds worth millions, 2 days after GMing the skill. On the other hand I've seen players pulling BODs 3 times a day for months and not find what they are looking for. It's all up to chance, but even the chance is worth it. Can you tell that I play the lottery in real life too?!

There are two components to the reward of a deed you turn in. There is the gold component, and the item reward component. The gold reward is static. You will get the same amount of gold each time you complete a deed of the same quantity and material. Most rewards are a random chance between two items until you get to the higher end stuff.

Without further ado, let me link you to the reward charts, before I discuss them.

These are the gold reward charts:
    Look at that!! Some of these deeds can net you upwards of 200,000 gold just by turning them in!! Don't worry, by the way, gold rewards greater than 5,000 are delivered to you in the form of a check. You don't have to worry about being able to carry all that phat lewt.

These are the item reward charts:
    Note: On the Smithing Item Reward Chart, there is a column for "Mining Gloves". This reward is not accurate on the UOR server. Replace this column for +1/+3/+5 Mining Gloves with "Gargoyle Shovel". The percentage for each hue of Gargoyle Shovels is equal to the percentage of obtaining a deed in that metal. Refer to Section 5. The Rocket Science of Pulling above for these numbers.

It is quite evident that the smithing BOD system is more rewarding than the tailoring one. Keep in mind that smithing requires more time; not only to GM, but to complete deed. The resources are more difficult to get and the deeds are more... elusive. A lot of people do both systems because they love crafting THAT much! ;) Now that the links are out of the way, let's get down to reading these things.

Reading Tailor.png

And there you have it! Let's do an example:
    Reading Tailor2.png
    And theeeennnn.......

What's all this worth?? Well that's an ever changing answer. There are two main factors to selling an item; Demand, or ease of selling, and price. Back to all that supply and demand junk that blocked from my mind because I hated economics. Some prices don't change much on UOR with a smaller demand. Primarily because people will just hang onto those items and don't bother selling for a smaller amount. There are two places I would check to find out your current reward worth. The first is the Trade Forums. Do a search specific to the item and see what comes up.

The second recommendation is the IRC Channel #UORTrade. Don't be shy about asking questions in there! The UOR community is fantastic and is always welcoming to new players. Just type "/join #UORTrade" once you connect.

The general rule of thumb is the further to the right of the reward charts, the higher the worth; because they are simply more difficult to obtain.

If you would like to see what the rewards look like in-game, check out Chris' post on BOD rewards.

Important Facts:
    • Bookmark those reward charts. The gold ones don't matter all that much, but the item rewards will burn an image into your monitor; yes, you will stare at them THAT much.
    Tips:
    • Over time you will memorize this damn matrix. You refer to it THAT often. However, until you do - I recommend double checking your tracing on deeds to rewards. When I first started doing BODs, I ended up with unexpected (disappointing) rewards because I was an idiot; or, maybe you are just that much better than me with your attention to detail.
    • Keep in mind that the right side = larger individual profit applies to small deeds as well. For example, 20 exceptional small valorite plate are exceedingly rare; and thus, exceedingly pricey (even unfilled).
    • Some small deed rewards are worth significant amounts too. This is because most BOD masters use those small deeds to fill large ones, so the small deed rewards are pretty rare. Tier 4 cloth, for example, is one of these. That white cloth can be worth 5,000 per yard; and you can get 20 yards of it! That's 100,000 gold for a small BOD!!
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  14. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

This brings you to the end of my guide. I hope that you found the information in here useful. If you have any questions, suggestions or see any errors - please feel free to post them in this thread (or send me a message on the forums). There is no such thing as a silly question and any answers will just help other players in the future.

I'll take this time to point out my guild, in my signature. I am a member of Project Sanctuary and we are a guild dedicated to helping new players. If you have questions outside of BODs, anyone in the guild would be happy to help you find the answer. Please stop by, even if it's just to say "hi". You can find us in the following locations:
    • Our IRC channel, #PS. Just click this link : IRC and once you have logged in, type /join #PS
    • Our public forums: Project Sanctuary Forums
    Thank you for taking the time to read through my guide.
  15. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Lyta likes this.
  16. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

Thank you for your kind words Gideon, I appreciate it!
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  17. Dr Satan

Dr Satan Well-Known Member

Wow, amazing guide! Think that covers everything! I appreciate the time and effort spent submitting this.
    Gideon Jura and Lyta like this.
  18. Fungus

Fungus Member

Thumbs up from me too! how many candles did you get through writing this?
  19. Caska VS Trees

Caska VS Trees Well-Known Member

Lyta just wanna say I read all of the submitted guides for this, but when my tailor finally hit 70.1 last night this was the one I came back to, and probably the easiest to understand/find what I needed to know. Thanks for the hard work!
  20. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

Thank you, glad it is a help and people are finding this a good read!
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Gideon Jura likes this.