To follow in the Footsteps - A new PS quest

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by k1w1uk, Feb 24, 2020.

1. k1w1uk

k1w1uk Well-Known Member

I was lounging around in the PS Lounge yesterday when a new player asked where Nightmares could be found. Feeling the PS vibe i remembered that long ago found a wild Nightmare that took a liking to me and followed me home. I cared for him and kept him stabled and well fed and knew that one day He would find his calling.
    Yesterday was that day.
    Drixir was the new players name and he told me that three weeks was the total time he'd been awake for, I sensed a chance to spread a little UOR Lore and quickly a the Idea of a Quest came to me, In return for My Mare i requested pictures (not those ones) of three locations in Britannia that hold special significance to those of us with long Memories and associations with PS giuld. The Quest was as follows:

18:59] [GG] Camdan:
    @Drixir , my quest for you is to post three pictures in the PS public chat, 1) a picture of the statue of Lord Krake , 2) a picture of the Royal Britannia Cemetery, and 3) the Humility shrine . All these pictures must be taken at night using the Dark night setting, do this and the mare is yours for free.

Drixir set off instantly and completed two of sections easily 1 and 3, but I became saddened as it became clear that not many people knew of @Chris 's Tribute to the fallen greats of our fair land. These places need to be remembered and spoken of often maybe in hushed tones but remembered none the less.
    So I came up with a few clues and despite my sense of direction leaving me for a moment I hoped that my clues would help a new player find a sense of Justice and help understand what makes UOR great, the clues were :

Clue 1) its not in Britain
    Clue 2) WEST East of Yew
    Clue 3) three

Time Passed and more new PS players joined in the quest for Drixir's Nightmare, this quest took on legs of its own, Could it really be true that I was the last keeper of the knowledge of this scared place. Thankfully no the quest reach the ear of a @RavenMagi who helped send the searchers in the right direction and eventually I was joined By Drixir and Vanhelt at the Royal Britiannia Cemetery, after allowing them to explore and pay respects I explained a little about where they were standing and about the few of the names I knew.
    then after giving instruction of where to collect his prize, i hurried to bring in Smok my tamer and reward Drixir with his prize.
  2. k1w1uk

k1w1uk Well-Known Member

the story didn't quite end there I requested Drixir put together a small write up of his adventure and this is what I received this morning:

Another day, another adventure UO: Renaissance Story
    quest by Camdan (@k1w1uk ) aka Father Christmas
    This morning I woke up feeling that something different would happen. I went straight to the stables of Trinsic like I usually do, what a beautiful city. I asked to the stable keeper if he could saddle my horse. I took some magic supplies, my favourite book of runes and I started my journey. Nothing interesting so far, some monsters over here and there, gathering a few coins, a day without stumbles. Suddenly, a gorgeous wild nightmare appeared before me, fast as the wind, a black shadow bolt that furrowed the air. I didn't take so long to realize that it wasn't wild at all, it answered to the call of his master, Smok. He saw me, and opened a magic portal. I doubted if I should enter or not, right now I'm thinking how naive I was, I could have died but Im glad that I didn't. This portal took me to Moonglow, right next to the stables. the twilight was coming close, there was this guy who was a member a brotherhood with the acronym GG. Camdan. -Good evening travelers.- Smok was shutting down the portal summoning a words of power. An Grav-Pardon my meddling, but I saw such beautiful creature that I just shouldn't let go. How much do you want for this nightmare? I asked, without paying attention that I didn't have any gold in my pocket, neither in my bank to deal such a big expense as these lovely and mystical tacks.

- it doesn't have a price young man...-answered he who looked like a mage.- what is your name?- he added -my name is Drixir, but my traveling name is runawaysky.- I answered fast, looking nervous. -we are Camdan and Smok. and as I said traveler, this nightmare is not for sale.- Camdan turned around, as he started to clean the horse.- now if you excuse me I must keep going with my business.
    -I won't take no as an answer...- I said. my words seemed to reach both of them, they looked at me firmly, Smok was coming down of the nightmare, and fed it with raw steaks of meat, the magnificent beast devoured the meat, and it showed affection with his master -there are some times when you need to know when to back down knight. I see you are not from this place... what brought you to our land, besides intruding of course, maybe some experiences? maybe stories?. -honestly yeah, I'm not from here, curiosity is what helps us move don't you think?.- I wasn't hoping for an answer, but still he gave it to me. -are you curious? how about if I task you with some duties?. maybe that's how you can show me that you are worthy of riding the nightmare - the tone of his voice changed completely, now he sounded excited, less distant.
    - if it's okay with you, you shall find out and look out for three places that are part of our history. -sound interesting, tell me more.
    -I said with no doubt.
    -years ago, our gods took us an admirable player, and he had a different vision from this world. he thought that helping our adventurers was a slow path, but it was a safe one to improve our lands. and if I'm not wrong, I was a faithful witness of his accomplishments, so that's why I'm gonna ask you to find a sample of the three places before dawn, each one has a meaning that you must find. the first place you will find it in the "isle of fire" with a bit of humility you will get there. the second place you may it alone if you travel through the path of justice, it's a place surrounded by the sea where many tombs will remember us forever who traveled this world and left us glorious learnings. and last but not least, if you go to the south of the isle of Skara Brae, where the pink trees grow, a beautiful place indeed, you will understand who was the one that taught me this values. Time is rewarding young one, run.- when I finish speaking, I pronounce a few words of the power Kal Ort Por- at midnight I will be there waiting, If you don't get there by then understanding why is this journey at all, I will go without you.- then, he vanished right in front of my eyes.
    I couldn't understand much, but I'm not a quitter, this nightmare is unique, and it will be mine not matter what. following the indications and trying to remember everything that has been said, I went to the public library on Ocllo and I started to read about the "isle of fire". There it mentioned that this isle was covered by a thick jungle full of unimaginable dangers, such as the Hythloth Dungeon, the temple of fire, as well as some pretty spots. which caught my attention was something about the "shrine of Humility" which recited "humility is perceiving one's place in the world, not according to one's own accomplishments, but according to the intrinsic value of all individuals".
    Krothu, Xavant_BR, Hollywood and 3 others like this.
  3. k1w1uk

k1w1uk Well-Known Member

I decided to go there, using some antique rune books that some traveler left in a house near to the public library. once there in the "shine of humility" I could understand what it meant. many monsters besieged a young warrior, which with cape and sword defend himself, I chose to help him avoid death summoning my combat pets, and healing his wounds, the battle was quick but pretty heated. I took a seat at the edge of a small lake, soaking my feet in the water, I felt at joy seeing myself helping someone else, when I wanted to check again, there was actually no one, and the monsters were gone, as if it was an hallucination. where it should have been a pile of dead monster, there was instead a big green stone on the ground and inside it there was a shining badge. the value of humility, it's learned helping others hoping nothing in return, not taking attention to the material
    Humility.jpg
    having my hours counted, I couldn't stop myself for much longer and I went to my next destination. Camdan mentioned something about the "shrine of justice" so I went there through my rune book. a quiet forest was in front of me, as the humility one, justice was a huge stone, but the drawing in the middle was a scale, which pointed a direction, so I took zeta my horse which galloped at full speed, I got myself lost in the forest. it seemed that luck was on my side, two dudes, one with black clothing and another with a red cape as blood, they told me that going through the edge of the sea I could find a very special place, that was a reminder of great people. hoping to see them in my future journeys, I said my goodbyes and kept going my way. I ran for many minutes, until a flowered lattice to my right caught my attention. I came closer surrounding it until I found a gate, the plate prayed "royal Britannia cemetery, I decided that my horse should wait me outside as I entered walking. Cemetery.jpg
    many tombs laid at my feet, but only four caught my attention. for a moment I felt a strange presence.
    -who is there? I asked, holding my book of spells near me. - I think we have a friend in common...- a voice came behind the last tomb on the left, under a tree of pink leafs.- this tomb belongs to Krake Vestahl, a person like any other, but with a very different perspective, humility, justice, and honor were his biggest qualities, especially his heart. "My name is RoadRunner, and I'm here to open a portal to another place , we didn't think you would find this place" he said. -I'm witness of the beauty and sense of this place, great legends rest here. thank you for your words and help traveler. with strength I summon a words of power Vas Rel Por-. and a magical blue portal was summoned from his feet, which I took with no hesitation. I noticed that the leafs were from a rose identical to the one from the cemetery, a big stone tower lit by some torchlight, a golden statue was looking above. there, they were RoadRunner, Camdan and Smok. Statue.jpg
    -congratulations traveler, you accomplished to do your tasks- he said Camdan happily- this statue is a representation of the people of their brotherhood that they made for his leader Krake Vestahl, in honor of his teachings and values. I hope you can standardize the cause, and help to any traveler to find the path of humility, justice and honor.
    it was that way as that long day full of adventures surprised me and taught me great things of the history of this world, of the people whom live here, and that one never knows what it may find inside UOR
    my newly gained nightmare went to my side as my gift, I named it "StoryQuest", and I hope it joins my journeys as my other horse, who I set free so it can enjoy the nature of Skara Brae and this magnificent world
    Krothu, Cretoma, Witchcraft and 7 others like this.
  4. Tuneful

Tuneful Well-Known Member

Ahh what a Great Off the Cuff Quest...WEll done all involved.
    Really made my day reading this
    Great work...
    Cretoma, RunawaySky, Bzt3r and 2 others like this.
  5. RunawaySky

RunawaySky Member

Thank you Camdan for the lesson, for this post, and thank you for StoryQuest ! :) !
  6. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Welcome to UOR.
    Cretoma and RunawaySky like this.