Troubleshooting High Ping Times, Latency, Connection Issues

Discussion in 'Server & Client Support' started by Chris, May 1, 2013.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Having problems with crashing doing random things? Getting Screen Flashes? Getting an error when loading the client? Listed here are several common problems and solutions to help you get started.
    If your problem is not listed here feel free to contact a staff member for assistance.

Problem:Random Disconnections, Ping Latency, Connection Issues
    Solution #1:
    Very commonly disconnections and odd latency and packet loss can be caused by wireless routers or cellular connections.
    For wireless connections try the following.
    • Reset the wireless router often
    • If you live in a residential area or heavily saturated wireless area try changing to a different channel
    • Connect your computer directly to the router to see if the problems persist.
    • Routers will fail after a time, so if your wireless router is over 3+ years old possibly think of replacing it.
    For Cellular connections try the following
    • Reset the connection in whatever way suits the device you are using.
    • Run the ping test as shown below to see if you detect high levels of packet loss
    • Contact the cellular provider to see if you can get your connection re-provisioned, report any packet loss as well.
      Note: In most celluar situations I've helped players with a quick call to the provider was able to resolve the problem. However in almost all cases a wired connection will usually provide a more stable connection.

Solution #2:
    Run a ping test to various websites to see if you are getting any level of packet loss.
    • In Windows XP Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > type cmd.exe > OK).
    • Otherwise Click the start button and navigate to the command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)
    • In the window type the following command as below. PIng google.com -t
      Note: Where google.com is the site you wish to run a ping test to. Since the Renaissance server doesn't allow pings you can alternative use 64.125.31.86 to ping close to the server.
    • After a decent amount of time hit Control-C on your keyboard to cancel the test.
    • Look for lost packets or abnormally high pings. These could indicate potential problems with your connection.
    • Repeat the test to several websites to see if the results are consistent.
    • If you detect problems, check solution one for possible resolutions and check solution #3 for an additional test to run.
      [​IMG]

Solution #3:
    Run a traceroute to the server to attempt and determine a possible bottleneck between you and the server
    • In Windows XP Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > type cmd.exe > OK).
    • Otherwise Click the start button and navigate to the command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)
    • In the window type the following command as shown. tracert login.uorenaissance.com
    • Once the traceroute completes or starts showing all "*" hit Control-C to stop the process.
    • Look for spots where there is packet loss or a drastic increase in ping times.
      Note: If you are unclear on how to analyze this data, take a screenshot of the command window and provide it to the staff.
    • Run several tests to see if you get consistent results.
      [​IMG]

Solution #4:

Solution #5:
    • Make sure your antivirus software excludes Ultima Online and Razor from active scans.
      Note: While this will not stop UO from working, it can result in an extra 20-50ms delay while the packets are scanned by the AV software.
    • Every AV software package is different so just check the help on how to exclude a folder from active scans.
    • Microsoft's AV products are recommended as they do not interfere with the TCP IP traffic in this manner.

Solution #6:
    Flush your computers DNS allowing it to be rebuilt possibly finding a more efficient route to the server.

For Windows 98/NT/2000/XP
    • Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd.exe > OK).
    • Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

For Windows Vista / Windows 7 Flush DNS
    Note: Flushing DNS on newer versions of Windows is almost as easy as the earlier versions but due to Microsofts security additions you must run the command prompt with administrator privileges.
    • Click the start button and navigate to the command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)
    • Make sure that you right click on the command prompt application and choose "Run as Administrator"
    • Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

For additional help flushing your computers DNS check this link
    https://www.whatsmydns.net/flush-dns.html

Should you have questions about Razor. Check out this great guide that one of our players wrote.
    Tater Salad's Guide to Razor
  2. CapDipshit

CapDipshit New Member

Re: Errors? Crashes? Problems? Try These Solutions

[01:43:40] Running lightIRC 1.3.1 Build 121. Project home: www.lightirc.com
    [01:44:01] Flash policy problem. If you are the server owner, please read http://redmine.lightirc.com/projects/li ... structions. You need to install a flash policy daemon at eu.chat4all.org (port 843).

i cant log into IRC
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Have you tried an alternate program such as MIRC?

Here is our guide to setting up IRC using MIRC viewtopic.php?f=18&t=496
  4. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

For a while every morning I'd check my UO clients I'd find they had crashed during the night. After re-installing UO to my base 'C' drive (i.e. C:\Ultima Online) all my crash problems went away!
  5. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

It also cures cancer and leaves your breath minty fresh!
  6. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Here's another thing to check if you're losing connectivity overnight when you've tried everything else.

Go to:
    • Control Panel
      • System and Security
        • System
          • Device Manager
            • Network Adapters
              • Right Click on your Network Adapter and go to "Properties"
                • Choose the last tab labeled "Power Management"
                  • Make sure that the check box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  7. sianlang

sianlang New Member

Hi i am getting a high latency below is my tracert to the server.

i am running the latest client downloaded from uor main page, no AV running except for the default from MS, i have also done solution 6 but did not help, so seeking advice to improve the high ping. Thank you.

C:\>tracert login.uorenaissance.com

Tracing route to login.uorenaissance.com [162.252.55.26]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms fnet1-f68-access.vqbn.com.sg [132.147.68.1]
    3 * 283 ms 282 ms NewYork1.vqbn.com [132.147.112.82]
    4 284 ms 282 ms 284 ms ae2-43.nyc38.ip4.gtt.net [173.205.61.121]
    5 292 ms 289 ms 292 ms et-4-3-0.was10.ip4.gtt.net [89.149.129.210]
    6 * 290 ms 287 ms giglinx-gw.ip4.gtt.net [77.67.79.54]
    7 289 ms 288 ms 287 ms 162.252.52.5
    8 288 ms 289 ms 288 ms 162.252.55.26

Trace complete.