UOR & PKing

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Zamtro, May 22, 2021.

1. Zamtro

Zamtro New Member

Heya all,

I'm still quite new to UOR, always played UO on other custom shards etc, and only touched Oceana a little bit back in like 2000-2002. I've quite enjoyed a very different style of UO to what I'm used to, and everyone has been very friendly and very helpful so far!

Now that I've lost my Young status, I'm guessing this opens me up to PKs - I'm not really into PvP (could change maybe but I'm pretty clueless) I just generally like smacking stuff with a mace.

What's the common way on UOR when you get PKed? Do they tend to take everything you have, or just if you may have something valuable? or just your money and regs?

All part of the game and I figure it's only a matter of time lol - Where are the best places to avoid?

Thanks for all being so welcoming on Disc and helpful in game.
  2. Vincent Blackshadow

Vincent Blackshadow Well-Known Member

Welcome,

Most of the highest GPH farming spots will be checked by reds.

Most pks here are decent in that they may offer a res or gate and may not even loot.

However, there are some pks that will dry loot and try to gate your ghost to a island with nothing on it but they are the minority.

Good luck out there.
    One, Sayer, Zamtro and 1 other person like this.
  3. Zamtro

Zamtro New Member

Sorry - GPH?

Are there dungeons in particular to avoid?
  4. midgetbob

midgetbob Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

GPH is gold per hour.

You can read a little bit about it here: http://uorforum.com/threads/renaissance-gold-per-hour-crowdsourced-guide-project.7530/

There hasn't been a dungeon I've been in that I haven't seen a PK or Two, but avoiding some of the more high trafficked areas will help mitigate that a bit.

Getting pk'd isn't too much of an issue, as refitting and getting back out there usually is quick and easy.

Would definitely start saving up for: small house and then a blessed runebook (250 plat @ 5k ea = 1.25m). Having that first runebook makes life so much easier.
    One and Zamtro like this.
  5. Zamtro

Zamtro New Member

Awesome thanks for that! I have a whopping 3 platinum so could take me a while lol, every other time i'd played all runebooks were blessed but i like the idea of it not being!

Another noob question - using recall scrolls with the runebook - does this require magery or autmatically works?
    One likes this.
  6. midgetbob

midgetbob Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I believe you can recall with 0 magery using scrolls, but you'll still fizzle a lot. My low magery characters usually roll with 30 real magery and that's been fine for me; only the rare fizzle.

Farming plat yourself could take awhile, yes. However, if you find your farming groove, you'll pull in enough gold to pick up the plat you're missing from the trade forum fairly easily. There have also been a decent chance of finding blessed runebooks from there as well either through someone posting them for sale, or making a WTB thread. Even a decent chance of it being dyed already as well.

If you haven't yet, definitely join the Discord channel. You'll get fairly quick responses to questions you have popping up while playing here on UOR.
    One likes this.
  7. Goose

Goose Member

Getting pkd is a matter of when not if. If you farm gold in dungeons you get pkd. I farm gold in dungeons. I get pkd all the time. If you know how pick up gold you will make it. Pks come around at certain times. Sometimes they stay and many times they leave. Most rez you and let you get your copse.
    Zamtro likes this.
  8. Zamtro

Zamtro New Member

Yep I figured as much! I'm pretty basic anyway so I'll just use crafted armour/weps etc and then I can always buy or make more :p
  9. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Orion GM BD and Zamtro like this.
  10. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

leave your runebook in the bank, open it, leave it open, recall where you want to go from a rune in your bank, or go somewhere on foot, or get gated, you can use the runebook one time to escape
    One likes this.
  11. Zamtro

Zamtro New Member

How can I use it to escape if its within the bank?

Thanks One, I'm just keen on playing a basic mace and shield warrior for now so I'll stay low key and farm crap stuff :p Vanq weps are definitely cheap enough so thats nice!
    One likes this.
  12. One

One Well-Known Member

Einar and Zamtro like this.
  13. Zamtro

Zamtro New Member

That is a really fantastic post, thanks for that! After having a read I definitely think I can handle level 1 and 2 treasure maps solo, and they look like a lot of fun. Very much appreciate your help!

I'm guessing that magics that drop in level 1 and 2 will be low level, but thats fine with me!

Is there a Container somewhere in Occlo that people can place items for new players where they don't disappear for 48 hours or something? I could put Items I dont need there?
    One likes this.
  14. One

One Well-Known Member

15. Zamtro

Zamtro New Member

Thats great detail, thank you, really appreciate it. My Miner will have some Carto anyway and an alt with some magery to unlock and assist :) My brother also has a lumber/axe wielding warrior if I can convince him to be more active with!

I'm not too worried about keeping my own stuff, I was more thinking the guarding and fort gear i usually leave, another new player might use and wasnt sure if there is a donation bin somewhere :)

Thanks for the help, I've got a good direction to go in (and find some low level maps) My warrior is intended to be a bit of a tank, is full plate ever used here?
    One likes this.
  16. Vincent Blackshadow

Vincent Blackshadow Well-Known Member

Full plate is not really used because of the DEX penalty.

I use plate on my naturalist but it is mainly for the look.

http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/1114985

https://uorforum.com/threads/the-way-of-the-naturalist.696/
    One likes this.
  17. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

Well some points:
    -there are the eurozone patrol and the us timezone patrol.(understanding when they usually are online makes your life easier.
    -sometimes, when you realize the pks are in a large group, give up dungeoning. Try some tmaps, raise some taming, craft something...and etc.
    -have a char that make you feel comfortable to hunt with, even with pks around.
    Jill Stihl likes this.
  18. One

One Well-Known Member

19. Zamtro

Zamtro New Member

Perfect thanks, yeah running with 30 magery for my warrior, can bone armour be repaired? Or is there no downside to it? I had realised parry seemed lacklustre here but im a fool for running a proper warrior and thats with a shield :p

appreciate all the explanations!
    One likes this.
  20. One

One Well-Known Member