Yew [Yew]

Discussion in 'Yew - The City of Justice [Yew]' started by Antos, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Antos

Antos Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    .: The Yew Accords :.

being a compact of citizenship
    and declaration of autonomous governance
    of the

City of Yew

We, the inhabitants of the ancient city of Yew - a Sosarian city that was ancient long before the establishment of Britannia and which shall endure long after the kingdom has faded into the mists of legend - in recognition of the growing need for increased autonomy from the reign of an absent regent, do hereby reestablish self-governance under the guidance of the wise Judges of Empath Abbey. Let it be known that we bear no animosity towards the vacant throne and Yew welcomes Britannian guards within her borders only insofar as they seek to further the cause of Justice - the foundational virtue of Yewish culture. Furthermore, let it be known that Yew is committed to dialogue with other active governing entities in their efforts to maintain the rule of law in an otherwise lawless Sosaria. To that end, the inhabitants of Yew hereby establish and ratify the following accords for all who would stand with us and declare citizenship in our ancient City of Justice:

1. Thou Shalt Not Kill.
    - Yew is a city of Justice. Murderers are an anathema to the virtue of Justice.
    - Killing for RP purposes may be permitted, but may still have consequences as well.

2. Thou Shalt Not Steal.
    - Like murder, thievery is an affront to Yew's most cherished values.
    - Stealing includes raiding corpses that are not your kill. Be a good sport!

3. Thou Shalt Play Thy Role in the Community.

- Light Role Play is strongly encouraged, but it is not mandatory at all times.
    - In planned RP events, you are expected to stay in character.

4. Thou shalt shun the divisive trappings of the world of the interlopers.

- Avoiding real life topics helps preserve the fantasy atmosphere.
    - Even while OOC, real life politics, religion, sports, etc. have no place in Yew.

5. Thou Shalt Treat Yew's Enemies as Allies.
    - Guilds are at "war" with Yew as a declaration of alliance, not hostility.
    - Unprovoked attacks on allies constitutes murder and will not be tolerated.

For untold ages, Yew has been known as a city of Druids and Rangers, but it is our hope that the establishment of these initial Yew Accords, the world might come to know Yew as a diverse community that welcomes people from all walks of life who strive to live justly. We, the undersigned Judges of Yew celebrate this return to self-rule in hopes that it will bring about a new era of Justice that will endure for ages to come.

.: In Vas Tym :.
    .: In Vas Sanct :.
    .: In Vas Lor :.

~ Antos of Yew

~ Jaana of Yew

~ Talfourd of Yew
    Hadrian, Hersin, Jaana and 10 others like this.
  2. Antos

Antos Well-Known Member

Reserved :D
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  3. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

The Great Council will happily lend its support to the endeavors of Yew and its local governance, be it material or otherwise.
    eherruh, Antos, Jupiter and 1 other person like this.
  4. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Greetings from Cove!

Paddy O'Brien
    Supreme Leader Khan Sultan Overlord Emperor Mayor of Cove
    Hadrian, Bayara, eherruh and 6 others like this.
  5. Antos

Antos Well-Known Member

6. Alex Caember

I will endeavor to be there for sure! You should announce this in the player-event forum and/or in IRC as well. It is not very visible in this forum.
  7. eherruh

eherruh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

+1 -- took forever to remember where I saw this posted and kept thinking it was in the player-event forum.

Got UO installed on a VM at work so .. I'll be there!
    Antos and Cero like this.
  8. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

Read the #UOR-RP topic! I updated it last night for this event.

I hope it's a great time for everybody who attends! I would really love to make it but I'm not sure if I'll be able to - I've got family in town. We'll see...
    Antos, Jupiter and eherruh like this.
  9. Ragar

Ragar Active Member

I'll attempt to be there depending on how the Louisville/Kentucky game is going and my apologies in advance if I can't make it. It's kind of a big deal in these parts. The Mayor of Cove understands.
  10. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

This sounds great but way late my time! Have fun.
    Antos and Jupiter like this.
  11. Alex Caember

This was a lot of fun! Thank you Antos and Jaana!
    Antos, eherruh and Jupiter like this.
  12. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

I popped in for a moment. What a wild scene!
    Antos and eherruh like this.
  13. Antos

Antos Well-Known Member

My deepest appreciation to all who attended! It was a lovely night of drunken silliness!

Special thanks to those who brought even MORE potent potables to an already thoroughly pickled party!

Solstice.jpg

As for other upcoming events in Yew, we will be hosting a Winter Clothes Drive in late January or February at the Abbey. We will be giving away free low-level magic armor to ward off the chill of the winter night and a hot bowl of stew to keep you going on a cold day! Details will be posted here ...aaaand in other forums!
    Jaana, Ragar, eherruh and 4 others like this.
  14. Cordelia Black

Cordelia Black Well-Known Member

ive got about 125 bottles of ale i stole from someone for fun at some point, id love to disperse them freely while wearing scantily clad clothing in defiance of the cold,trusting hard liquor to keep me and guests warm! let me know a week or so ahead and i can drop it off incase im unable to make it,you all still get to drink untill your brains start bleeding. :)
    eherruh likes this.
  15. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Three cheers!

I'm sad that i missed this, and hope to be able to support the clothing drive.
    eherruh likes this.
  16. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Just found your post and missed the event. Suggestion: post a link in player run events to your event page for more exposure.

@Antos I know your rules state Thou Shalt Not Kill does that apply to justified killing of thieves and murderers anytime anywhere scenario?
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Hadrian and eherruh like this.
  17. Antos

Antos Well-Known Member

To quote from The Tale of Jaana and the Goblin:

So, according to Yewish tradition, it is acceptable to take a life when one's own is in jeopardy. Those who would do harm may justly meet with harm themselves. This extends to those who would do harm by depriving innocent victims of their defenses or their livelihood through theft.

You may read the story in its entirety here: http://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/The_Tale_of_Jaana_and_the_Goblin

Thank you for helping bring this detail to light!
    Jaana, eherruh, Ragar and 2 others like this.
  18. Antos

Antos Well-Known Member

I have just condensed The Tale of Jaana and the Goblin: A Parable of Justice down to a more publishable size. It now fits into a 40 page book and still retains 92% of the original text.

If you would like a copy for your own library, I will happily provide one for the small inscription fee of 50,000 gold pieces!

Hurry! Buy your copy NOW while supplies last!

*notes the lack of customers beating a path to Yew to buy his book.*

*reads a note handed to him by Jaana*

So, I have just been informed that I am not only overcharging for the book, but I am also being accused of reinforcing negative Yewish stereotypes.

Fine... FINE! I guess we will just give it away for free, then!

*mutters something about "no justice"*

So, if you would like a copy for your library or privy, simply ask and one will be provided for you at no charge!

...unless you are @Alex Caember. Then you must pay!

*hastily reads another note*

WHAT? Free for him, too? But he's got deep pockets and... and...

Oh well, I guess I will be expected to just give away the other Parables as I complete the editing process for each.

Oy! Why don't you just take the fish steak right out of my mouth while you are at it?
    Hadrian, Jaana, eherruh and 2 others like this.
  19. Alex Caember

I actually have all of these parables in the library archive (I think they were originally from Ultima IX)
    Antos likes this.
  20. Antos

Antos Well-Known Member

SHHHHH!!!! NEVER mention that numeral in relation to our history! Not even parenthetically! I am still trying to pretend it never happened.

*bites his nails in obvious emotional trauma repeating "...it never happened! ...it never happened!"*

*ahem*

The only good thing to come out of that mess were the parables, in my opinion. I am glad to see that they were not forgotten here. However, I could not get the entire tale to fit into a 40 page book without making a few minor cuts. I would be interested to see what editorial choices you made to achieve this. Since you already have a copy, I am perfectly happy to accept it as the "official" renaissance version.

Is there any chance we might get a copy for the Abbey?
    eherruh, PaddyOBrien and Jupiter like this.