2016 Halloween Thieving Contest (over 1.5mil in prizes)

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by The Crooked Warden, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Too Old For This ...

Too Old For This ... Well-Known Member

no he was not ...

and it's so strange to see such speeches from a person who have chosen a thief's path

I do not like your actions, but really liked your posts how you described your endeavors, that was just another side of your adventures - relax and have fun from it, too.
  2. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Sorry for the mess, CW. I can't stop these people from derailing the contest thread. Maybe the mod can delete that crap.
  3. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member

Jerome Jackson started the day like every other day. He wakes up on the cold stone ground of RRG keep, half drunk from the night before and empty pockets.

Jerome spits and says to himself "Today I must go to work, my friends have told me there is Green coin to be made from the cemeteries across the lands"

Jerome Jackson gets prepared, 50 of each reagent, trap box to awake him from paralyze, some stools for tripping, & a brand new horse with no name.

"WE SHALL START ON THE ISLAND OF MOONGLOW!" Jerome yelled throughout the keep.

Jerome recalls from his runebook to the island of Moonglow & gets right to work. He hops off of his no name horse and he sneaks through the cemetery gates. He crouches behind the tomb stones, eyes his victims, snoops the bag, digs around, & steals the green coins!

"Haha, these fools do all the hard work and I just come in and grab their earnings!" he says while running away

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end of the day he throws all his green coins on his desk. "18 GREEN COINS, OFF TO THE PUB!" He Yells

[​IMG]

Tomorrow is another day. Let it be known that Dr Jackson is looking for that big grab.

* PLEASE NOTE THESE COINS WERE NOT STOLEN ALL AT ONCE, THE MOST I GRABBED AT ONE TIME WAS FIVE. THANK YOU ALL

4. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Where are all of the thieves?! I've seen you in the cemetery's, but not in this thread! Bump
    PaddyOBrien and Cherie like this.
  5. BlackEye

I am collecting screens for big posts. :p
  6. BlackEye

Fort looting tale incoming!

Sneak preview:

FB SneakPreview.jpg

PS: MYSTERY PRIZE. YEAH!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  7. The Crooked Warden

**End Date changed to Oct. 9th to cover entire server event!**
    BlackEye likes this.
  8. BlackEye

Right, the fort house looting... it was quite a freak chance that it even happened! My original intention was to farm some holiday coins from halloween monsters. But I got griefed away from Jhelom. :mad: So, I enlisted a friend to counter-grief that player. Well, I have to admit, that I am no expert when it comes to griefing, so I ended up being guard whacked for casting EVs on his dragons. :D

However, that player left for Moonglow, to stable his pets. I followed as ghost, got my thief (BlackEye) out and was about to rez my other toon, when this gate popped up at the SE corner of Glow and I saw Fireball jump out and back in. :eek: Natural instincts took over and I hopped the gate. I ended up in a (messy) fort.

[​IMG]

Just imagine all the circumstances that lead to this point and how easy it could have been different. Now you might think 'Hey, BlackEye got lucky!", but what followed was coming from painfully earned experience from previous fails.

1) I instantly took the gate OUT of the fort again back to Moonglow and waited some more seconds until it was about to expire. Yes, that move is risky. Missing to take that gate again would leave me looking pretty stupid on an empty tile in Moonglow. But from experience I know, that many players do the mistake to use Detect Hidden directly after their business with the gate. They don't wait for the Gate to vanish. That's why I returned to Glow, to skip being detected. Natually, I don't know if it was even necessary, but I made it back in time.

2) I stealthed over to my favourite corner in forts. And waited. And waited.

1.jpg

The funny thing is, Fireball gated again to Moonglow and my fellow thief and griefing partner hopped his gate too (I was in chat with him actually). This guy would proof to be a perfect distraction. Because when Fireball indeed detected afterwards, he banned that fiilthy thief and didn't see me covering in that dusty corner! :D

However, Fireball was wary, and did another half dozen detects in the next 10 minutes. I always re-hid as fast as I could. He didn't recognize me. Perhaps, the client he was using was out of range? Good for me!

After some minutes of silence, I started my duty. Scouting every bag, pouch and chest in that mess!

2.jpg

The corpse of 'The Babadook' was surprising and a fun moment. In retrospect, I should have liberated his head from it's cold bag and put it to some better place like a roof in Hidden Valley... Well, another time perhaps. :oops:

So, in the end, I collected all I wanted, moved the bags over to my favourite corner and gated it out. Some minutes later, Fireball opened another gate, which I checked. Who knows, maybe that gate would lead to more riches? It didnt, I saw Nujelm.

In the end, I simply recalled out of his fort, revealing my identity to Fireball. We had a chat afterwards, and he indeed is a cool guy. It's great, when people take such pixel related things easy. But maybe it helped that no huge values were stolen and that Fireball isn't playing that much anymore these days.

3.jpg

So, that's the sweet result. No epic trammel items etc, but some solid stuff. I didn't check the bods so far, but the value should be around half a million gold pieces.
  9. The Crooked Warden

Congrats on the achievement! Mystery prize inbound ;) - a worthy feat indeed
    NerK likes this.
  10. BlackEye

11. BlackEye

Robbing the italian mafia - will it be my death sentence?

I have observed a increased activity of the Cosa Nostra on UO:R. Italian crime syndicate, eh? In MY HOOD?. Well doing my neighborhood security rounds, I saw some of their evil schemes they were executing!

CosaNostra1.jpg

CosaNostra2.jpg

What evil is this? 100.000.000gp for an empty bottle?! They deliberately will destroy this poor NPCs vendoring business and and push him to declare himself bankrupt!!! They are probably aiming for his festive day trousers and his last underpants!

I fear, the business life of poor Jala is already forfeit, but upon snooping I found another working contract signed by another desperate pixel soul! Probably extorted at gunpoint!

CosaNostra3.jpg

Some quick finger movements later followed by a in-your-face escape, my good deed of the day has been fullfilled.

CosaNostra4.jpg

Remember all you immigrant criminals, 5D is the mafia here!

STAY - OUT - OF - MY - TERRITORY!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Jesus Is King, One, (D%) and 2 others like this.
  12. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Hahahha good story! I wonder if the massive price for that bottle was a failed attempt at the old vendor bug where you'd charge so much for something and somehow it would reset and give you a buttload of money.
  13. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Well, it's a pretty stupid move all the way around.

You can't fit 100,000,000 in geepees in a bank, only in check form. Not sure when you buy something from a vendor it would cash a check to take it out. And I doubt there's more than a handful of people who might have that net worth, let alone liquid.

OTOH, I believe vendor fees are calculated based on a % of the sale price of an item, so the only thing accomplised is to trashbarrel the contract and any gold you might have fed the vendor.

Okay, that's not true. You get a backpack out of the whole deal. Totally worth it!
  14. BlackEye

Pirul, these people are maybe new here. Before a certain patch long before my time here you used to get much more out of it. Let me show you one example:

upload_2016-11-5_0-41-45.png

So in principle, they were trying out stuff they probably knew from other shards. I didn't know of that bug, Paddy mentioned, but it sounds interesting.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  15. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Yeah I think it was a t2a era bug, where when the vendor would do a daily calculation and the item was so expensive, it didn't have the money for it and from what I understand the counter flipped from a negative number to a positive number. I can't remember where I saw that cheat, but I've never actually seen it work anywhere, its an old one and probably fixed by default.
  16. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Ooooohhh...so they're italian Patriots fans.
    Jupiter likes this.
  17. Dun Scaith

Dun Scaith Well-Known Member

Now at least you lot are doing it right'
  18. BlackEye

"Some ones lost item is anothers good fortune." - Tasslehoff Burrfoot

A big fish! Big big fish this time. I must admit, I like this guy. I like to call him 'The Professor' in the IRC channels as he knows (almost) everything UO:R related. And he must like Dragonlance, as one of his homes is named 'Solace'. He's a good boy. *pats head of Voltar*

upload_2016-11-6_23-12-8.png

But I always thought, his lack of security is very careless: Since forever, he has this table wall installed in one of his houses that simply isn't locked down.

upload_2016-11-6_23-15-0.png

I couldn't believe that such a experienced vet like @AlexCCCP (nice Avatar btw) is tolerating this flaw in his home for such a long time. He must have become accustomed to the relative convenience of passing through with ease. Or he simply enjoys the old Kender saying "Why insult a door's purpose by locking it?"

Today, I remembered this flaw, when I saw him at the East Brit Bank and I did a personal security investigation of Solace. Maybe he is Detecting Hidden like a mad man and thus doesn't care for his tables?

10 minutes pass - he enters several times: No Detect...
    I try to get in: no curiosity why the own toon was blocked for a fraction of a second when entering...
    No recognition of missing items on the ground when other toons recalled out...
    Needless to say, the security check failed.

upload_2016-11-6_23-16-33.png
    "Don't change the color to match the walls. Look like you belong and the walls will change color to match you." - Tasslehoff Burrfoot

upload_2016-11-6_23-17-10.png

5.jpg

6.jpg

I must admit, it is was a very well equipped crafter's home. Good sorted inventory, and a bit of everything.

I quickly filled a very juicy loot pack of the best goodies and went out the same way as I came in - through the front door. I didn't want to risk fizzling gates and being banned without my loot bag and figured that a shortly opened front door and a mysteriously moving bag that weights several tons will be easier missed!

The result: ~30k iron ingots, ~75k colored ingots, ~38k bod reward cloth, ~20k leather of all types, ~180k boards, 500 oak, 1.3 bones, 3k lockpicks, 5k crossbow bolts, 14 tmaps (1x lvl6, rest lvl 4 and 5), corrupted plat chest from this year's NoH.

In the end, I would estimate the value roughly at 3.25 mil.

upload_2016-11-6_23-48-25.png

Until next time!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  19. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

The KGB will have its revenge!!!
    BlackEye likes this.
  20. The Crooked Warden

Wow!! That's quite the haul
    BlackEye likes this.