2016 Summer House Decorating Contest

Discussion in 'Shard News' started by Chris, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Holy smokes! I don't know why I am even bothering, but contests are always fun.

Category: Massive House

Top Floor
    top floor.jpg

Bottom Floor
    bottom floor.jpg

Rune Library
    The Rune Library is a product of so many reagent and rune shopping trips that I have lost count. It contains runes to any location in Britannia that Altaira would ever want to go; from the rooftop of Britain's bank to treasure map locations. The most sacred runes are stored in color coded books. I would divulge their content, but it's a secret.

RuneLib.png

Study
    Not much studying goes on here, because - well, I haven't gotten my hands on any full book cases yet! What would I study? None the less, if any serious reading was to occur it would happen here. Who are we kidding, I don't have time to read, I should be out fishing.
    Study.png

Balcony
    This area of my home was inspired by a combination of feng shui and zen. If you want to sip lemon grass tea in yoga pants while dreaming of transcendence and self-reflection, this is where you would go. The calming cross-breeze of the swamp and the humid overbearing swelter make bikram yogis jealous.
    Patio.png

Laboratory
    Dexter-who? The laboratory is my pride and joy. I'm always adding neat looking liquids and glass to the working table; when I'm not being outbid by Amfekk. While it is open to the elements, the balcony was a required location. The number of times a potion has exploded in my face would make an indoor lab against some building code for sure.
    [​IMG]

Training Room
    I wouldn't actually call this a training room. I would call this... a rage room. Yeah, a Rage Room. When I get killed by some yuppie female superstar like Swift or Gomez, this is where I come to punch things. The head? Oh - that belongs to Crooks.
    Training.png

Waiting Room
    I'm so important that people have to wait to see me. This room and the Rune Library above are sequestered from the rest of the property with lock downs. When I'm gate hopping with friends or taking them out for a hunt, we can gather here and... eat fruit.
    Waiting.png

Entertaining Area
    This is the largest area of my house. Not much cooking goes on here anymore, but plenty of entertaining happens. I have plans to host a murder mystery here once I have some friends. I have some weird fascination with glassware and alcohol in it's various colors. My collection, so far, is relatively small but I am working on it diligently. People should be able to recognize me for the alcoholic that I am.
    Entertaining.jpg

Blacksmith Workshop
    I can't say that smithing is my thing. I do dabble in the world of smithing BODs, but most of them get filed away for future use. Maybe when I get bored of tailoring. I have included my carpentry and fletching work stations in this area of my house. They seem equally messy and not something I take part in too often. When I do get the urge to sweat profusely while hammering some metal ontop of some other metal, I like to do it in style.
    Smith.png

Tailor Workshop
    This is where I spend most of my time. I love tailoring. I love colors, and I love clothing. Fortunately for my laboratory I have avoided delving into the collection of unobtainable threads from historical events. The rainbow of colors I can garner from my BODs seems to satiate the metro-tamer in me.
    Tailor.png

Bedroom
    There is no hanky panky here. Two single beds. I welcome guests to spend the night at my Keep, but I strive to make it as uncomfortable for them as possible; lest they overstay their welcome. The ventilation in this area of the keep borders on non-existent, so the flatulence that I sooth myself with through the night works it's magic in bringing about uncomfortable environment for unwanted guests.
    Bedroom.png
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Halabinder, Ahirman, Cha and 15 others like this.
  2. Azoth

Azoth Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Love that Balcony, Lyta, and, of course, your Laboratory with not one but two bubbling flasks!!! :)
    Lyta likes this.
  3. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

Thanks Azoth; I had to do an animated gif to show them off a little. They are my most prized possessions. I tell my mare that she is, I hope she never finds out I'm lying. Then again, I have lost count of the times she has killed me while out fishing. I think I should just toss her overboard during the next fishing contest.

I wonder if I'm the only one that has tried (unsuccessfully) to click on those green items in your sig thinking they may be a link.
    Dr Satan, Cha, Gideon Jura and 2 others like this.
  4. TheDankNugget

TheDankNugget Well-Known Member

The Bio-Dome
    Best Decorated Large House Entry
    Located near Skara Crossroads

Im no where near finished, but i really like what this little tower has become, it is a very comfortable and a highly functional home base. Also i am out of gold and lock downs. So welcome to the bio-dome!
    The Dank Nugget_7-18_02.16.jpg

Step Into My Office
    The Dank Nugget_8-8_13.48-3.jpg

Always Dress For Success
    Private Parts_8-8_13.42.jpg

Private Parts_8-8_13.43.jpg

And the most important part of any keep, the bar.
    Private Parts_8-8_13.44-1.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:DUpdated a little bit, Thanks for checking it out:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Halabinder, shad, willie and 9 others like this.
  5. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

Nice work with greens Dank :)
    TheDankNugget likes this.
  6. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Great first floor!
    TheDankNugget likes this.
  7. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    shad, Tyndall and Keza like this.
  8. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member

Best Decorated - Massive

Castle Sixsmith - BBC Vendor crafting & storage house

First floor
    [​IMG]

Crafting area & rune library

[​IMG]

2nd floor

[​IMG]

Candle station

[​IMG]

Furs and such

[​IMG]

Bedroom / rec area

[​IMG]

3rd floor

[​IMG]

Holiday bag display

[​IMG]

Clothing crafting & storage

[​IMG]

Trees & rocks

[​IMG]

Roof

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unique Element - Fortress 3rd floor

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2016
    Jupiter, shad, Canis and 14 others like this.
  9. The Crooked Warden

Amazing! What is the room with the wigs and hair clippings?
    Chris likes this.
  10. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member

Thanks! Nothing special, just a wig showcase lol
    Ahirman and The Crooked Warden like this.
  11. Arnold Lutz

Arnold Lutz Well-Known Member

Lutz's Fort
    Catagory: Massive House
    This is my everyday use house, as well as my deco home. The theme is generally outdoors comfort. Thanks to Boothby for doing the screenshots for me.

[​IMG]
    First Floor - Circling from left to right - Kitchen, Guest Suit, Tailor Shop, Blacksmith, Main storage and everyday use, Carpentry room, Study, Prison Cell, Execution Room, Stable.

[​IMG]
    Second Floor - Main Formal Dining Room, Display Statuettes, and Front Halls of Glory
    [​IMG]
    Roof Top - Circling from left to right, Trellis rose garden, Lovely pond to worship the fallen, Roof top fountain Garden, Spider Cave, Outdoor wild animal rescue.
    [​IMG]
    Wild Animal Rescue

[​IMG]

Formal Dining Room
    [​IMG]
    Prison Cell + Execution Room
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Trellis Rose Garden

Trellis.JPG
    Unique Design Element - Spider Cave, a wondering miner who was just in search of riches, definitely chose the wrong cave to go digging around in.
    Kylie Lutz_6-11_19.18.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2016
  12. TheDankNugget

TheDankNugget Well-Known Member

that dinning hall tho. classy +1, ima borrow some of that one day, in the very distant future, when plat rains from the skies. Also the spider coming out of the cave +1 cleverness.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    One, Gideon Jura and Azoth like this.
  13. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

You all got such CRAZY AWESOME HOUSES! I just want to hit the like button on every picture :D
    Jupiter, Canis, Gideon Jura and 2 others like this.
  14. Azoth

Azoth Well-Known Member

That dining room is gorgeous :) So what kind of meal do you think Arnold serves his guests? Must be something amazing!
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  15. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

Total habachi grill. open up a square tile near that fire pit and place a chef!
    Azoth likes this.
  16. Canis

Canis Well-Known Member

Here's my humble home on the Wrong peninsula.

Category: large house

Let's start off with the premises downstairs for those of us in the working class. Lots of tears, sweat and blood have been spilled here whilst mastering the arts of blacksmithy, carpentry and tailoring.

darker_downstairs_work.jpg

The hallway is the stable area designed with pets' comfort in mind. The runebook on the check-in counter has runes to towns, enabling easy access for gating guests/pets in & out of the house. The hallway is a safe gating area, anything worth looting is either in secure containers or in the back rooms.

darker_downstairs_stables.jpg

Once we're done with the work for the day, it's time to kick off the socks and head upstairs into the leisure area.

darker_upstairs_leisure.jpg

The pouch next to the throne is the same one seen on the shelf downstairs. It's used as an elevator bag, allowing moving large stacks of items between the floors with ease. The boat next to the house also serves a practical use: it's refreshed in the end of each house refresh round, so clicking on the tiller man will display the refresh status of my most worn house at any time. No more surprises with the less frequently used house dropping because "oh, I thought I was there just a few days ago".

And last, but not least, the kitchen where all the servings for our elaborate guests are made.

darker_upstairs_kitchen.jpg

And finally, both floors in full:

darker_downstairs.jpg

darker_upstairs.jpg

This is where I enjoy the gentle sea breeze day in, day out.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Halabinder, Hydrox, Jupiter and 17 others like this.
  17. The Crooked Warden

This is a great home! I love the use of undyed wood everywhere, very welcoming
    Canis likes this.
  18. Canis

Canis Well-Known Member

I'm glad you noticed :)

This was one of the design considerations I had... in part because I like the classic look but also because I wanted to emphasize that deco can be done without immense investments. For instance, I love farmer's markets and NPC taverns because of all the colorful little items they sell for nit.

I'm a sucker for plants, but apart from them (and the ruined painting I happened to have anyway), I stuck with common items and low end rares exclusively. Lots can be done by combining low end items, such as the keg+candelabra lighting arrangement on the steps, the music stand + barrel lid flower table and the dung filled barrel downstairs.
  19. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Well here's my small house category entry. Not amazing but its functional :)

Top level is my ore smelter to keep the heat and smoke outside. That pack llama climbs ladders like a champ!
    Keza House Top.jpg

Middle level is for crafting and storage.
    Keza House Middle.jpg

Bottom level is kept mostly clear for training pets!
    Keza House Bottom.jpg
    Halabinder, Jupiter, Lyta and 9 others like this.
  20. Meradin

Meradin Well-Known Member

My entry for the Large house category & Unique Design Element.

CPU Tower Home to the largest library of player housing (that I know of).- Located in Chaos Valley, Near the pass to brit.
    Membership to the library is exclusive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A tribute to Mutombo- A Beautiful collection with mostly all monster spawns marked by name a-z
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Tribute to PFR His Dungeon Rune Library and hotspots book. Looted directly from his IDOC.

[​IMG]

A couple of guards I hired to protect my Library, although small in stature, they assure me they have killed at least 3 Ancient Wyrms.
    [​IMG]

Third Floor ---Bakery / Lighted Display Case / Urinal.

As the main supplier of baked goods for most of the Inns in Britannia Cake Pound University must have many bakeries going at all times.
    The Health Inspector told us to tell you he's fine, and that everything looks great here.

[​IMG]

Can't a man have some privacy?
    [​IMG]

This lighted display case is reserved for the most valuable single non-stackable item I have got from an IDOC. Although not very impressive, it was acquired while I was alone and had quite a few people trying to kill me...
    [​IMG]

Second Floor--- Personal Storage / loot Processing

A lot of loot bags come in, as well as minor and major B&E loot, so staying organized is always a challenge.

[​IMG]

First Floor---Gem Encrusted Tower Floor. Guild Staging Area / Giant Gate Trap / Functionality is key!

After doing a Barracoon on our roof he decided to leave gems encrusted in our house forever...like that glitter that strippers use....
    Here's our guild fund chest here.

[​IMG]

Another small area for me to keep bulk restock supplies secure.

[​IMG]

After a long day sometimes we just have to relax....and try to ignore the smack talking chair.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Halabinder, Bogugh, Tyndall and 7 others like this.