2017 Anniversary House Decorating Contest

Discussion in 'Shard News' started by Chris, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

HouseDecor2017.jpg

Voting Threads are Up!
    Small House Category
    Medium House Category
    Large House Category
    Massive House Category
    Unique Design Element Category

Submissions will be accepted until September 15th. Voting will take place from September 15th to September 23rd.

There will be 5 categories to choose from
    • Best Decorated Massive House
      Includes: Fortress, Castle, Small Keep, Large Keep
      Note: Make sure to post a variety of pictures of all decorated areas of the house. Include descriptions for themed areas.
    • Best Decorated Large House
      Includes: Tower, Large Marble Patio, 2 Story House, Large patio, Large Brick
    • Best Decorated Medium House
      Includes: Sandstone, Log Cabin, Villa
    • Best Decorated Small House
      Includes: Marble Shop, Stone Shop, Small Houses, Small Tower, Etc
    • Most Unique Design Element
      Note: Custom Fighting Pit, Hot Tub, Piano, Tree or otherwise illustration of player creativity belongs in this category

The Rules
    • Post pictures in this thread of your house, make sure to indicate which categories you are entering next to each picture of set of pictures.
    • Make sure to keep all your pictures for each entry in a single post.
      Note: Make sure to check the section below on the best method to attach an image. 1
    • The higher the resolution the better. (Avoid using razor screenshots, as they are low quality)
    • Any pictures posted between now and September 15th, 2017 will be considered for judging.
      Note: Make sure to post a variety of pictures of all decorated areas of the house in the event of larger houses.
    • On September 15th all of the entries will be posted here in a thread for each category.
    • Players will be able to vote once each category for their top 3 entries.
    • For your vote to count you must have an established forum account.
    • Player votes will account for 50% of the score, with staff voting accounting for the other 50%.
    • On September 23rd 2017 the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners from each category will be announced.
      Note: Should you have trouble taking screenshots of your house post the location of the house here and the staff will assist you.

The Prizes
    • All entrants will have their pictures and house included in the Renaissance Compendium, searchable by their name.
    • 1st place in each category will also get a 20 charge furniture dye tub and 20 Platinum.
    • 2nd Place in each category will get a 2nd place trophy and a 15 charge furniture dye tub and 15 platinum.
    • 3rd Place in each category will get a trophy a 10 charge furniture dye tub and 10 platinum.
    • Honorable Mentions will receive a 5 charge furniture dye tub.
      Note: Prizes subject to change if I come up with better ideas.

How to Post a Screenshot
    • While ingame hit alt + printscreen.
    • Open Microsoft Paint
    • Select Paste or hit Control + V
    • Select the game window or the area you wish to include.
    • Select the crop option.
    • Save the images as a .jpg file.
    • Uploading the file to your forum post as an attachment using the "Upload a File Option"
    • Include the file as a thumbnail (not a full image) in your post by clicking the thumbnail button.
    • If you need additional assistance feel free to contact the Renaissance staff.

To get some ideas make sure to check out the 1st and 2nd house decor contests that we have held
    1st Renaissance House Decor Contest
    2nd Renaissance House Decor Contest
    3rd Renaissance House Decor Contest
    2015 Renaissance House Decor Contest - 2015 Compendium House Decor Entries
    2016 Renaissance House Decor Contest - 2016 Compendium House Decor Entries
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Zeitz, Lyta, Christoph Brock and 13 others like this.
  2. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

@Chris you said the plan is to have moat out before this years house deco contest. Is this going to be reality, or will moats end up coming after this years contest?
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

That is the hope, but nothing is a certainty. There is no penalty for waiting until the event is almost over to post pictures. Our decorators are working on the finishing up the 4 fortress and keep moats that still need final designs and indexed item coding. Hopefully that and the rest of the copper rewards will be finished soon.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Cherie likes this.
  4. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

Large House Entry

Tower of Power

tower1.png

Welcome to the Tower of Power, home of Christoph Brock and Scholastica. Let us acquaint you with our humble abode. Scholastica has spent all day in preparation for your visit, and we have set the banquet table with various tasty treats and delicious beverages. Please, help yourself! After dinner, we could sit and share war stories by the brazier, or perhaps engage in a game of chess or cards. If it would please thee, Scholastica would also be delighted to play a tune on the harp.

tower2.png

Now, onto the second floor! First we have the hall with its decorative artwork and chests full of the booty from our adventures. Next is Scholastica's dressing room, in which she maintains all of the attire and supplies befitting a Lady. Finally, we have the bedroom with my writing desk and the Mrs.' artistry nook. It is thanks to her that our home is adorned in such fine and tasteful fashion.

tower3.png

Here in the upper reaches of our tower sit the trophy hall and its adjoining armory. To the side, under the drafty rooftop stairs, lies the prisoner's corner. Unfortunately for our last unwelcome visitor, he took rather poorly to his ration, or lack thereof. Through the armory, in which I keep all of the necessary means of war at my disposal, lies my laboratory. It is here that I manipulate arcane powers, using rare reagents to bend the spiritual essence of Britannia to my will. As of late have I been attempting rudimentary experiments in necromancy, but with little success. I shall continue my work....

tower4.png

On the roof of the tower, the winds blow constantly. Here my compatriots and I spar and practice our combat tactics in preparation for what violence is sure to come to this great, troubled land. And, if there ever be need, I keep a chest of restorative and healing supplies for the wounded, and several ropes by which to escape a breach of our dear dwelling. But alas, in spite of my careful preparations, poor patscout again just didn't know when to quit during one recent gentlemanly duel.

'Tis but a humble home, this Tower of Power, yet it suits the Mrs. and and me well. We are so glad you could pay us a visit. Hail, traveler, until we meet again!

Most Unique Design Element Entries

Tower of Power Rockfall Defense

rocks1.png

Complete collection of spawning rare rocks with which to drop onto unwelcome guests. You can see what happened to the last guy who tried soliciting here.

Tower of Power Laboratory

rares1.png

Complete collection of spawning rare bottles, beakers, and flasks.
    shad, Kiryana, Hadrian and 19 others like this.
  5. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

Massive House Entry

[BOS] Keep

keeplarge r3.jpg

Hail, traveler! You have come to [BOS] Keep. Please, be our guest! I hope that you find our quarters comfortable. We strive to maintain discipline not only in ourselves, but in the care of our headquarters. You see, our guild, the Britannian Order of the Sword and Shield, conducts its strategic and administrative operations here, and we keep a base for our leisure.

Here in the hall, we are pleased to present our Feasting Chamber with its banquet table. This is a terrific place to host a formal gathering or just to celebrate the rewards of a successful hunt. For friends and other esteemed visitors, we also provide a bar and lounge. It is the perfect spot to rest your legs with a frothy pint, or to continue a sporting rivalry over a game of checkers or chess.

We also maintain a chapel to safeguard our spiritual well being and to offer a place of peace for the virtuous soul. On the east side, there is an armory and supply room for compatriots preparing for adventure. In the rear, you will find a general storeroom and finally our interrogation chamber. This final room is reserved for those sworn enemies who refuse to admit their misdeeds against us. And if our prisoners do not find fear and pain to be sufficient motivators to speak, then we will employ a magic mushroom to loosen their lips.

keep2.png

On the second floor stands the keep command center, with map table, communications center, and strategic rune library. This is the nerve center of our guild's operations, the key to our conquest for loot and power.

On the upper-floor periphery lies several sheltered firing positions, and open walkways to allow free movements of troops and materiel. The is ample space for those, who for whatever reasons, may need to bivouac for the night. We do not seek conflict, but we know that others make it a reality to prepare for. And so we prepare....
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Oatmeal, One, Evil Dead and 7 others like this.
  6. Sara

Sara Well-Known Member

Large Home entry

Welcome to my beautiful home, it's my favorite place to relax and inspires me be creative. I consider it a 1 bedroom/ 1 1/2 bath house.

Floor 1.png

The first floor is my favorite to relax and visit with friends. My blacksmith took over the room right away saying ore was heavy and should stay downstairs, she is always helpful with repairs and armor so I just let it go.

Floor 2.png

Now the second floor is for my creative side. Nice big space for tailoring with plenty of storage for all that cloth one needs. Had to have a little area to take apart broken things and fix them so made a nice tinker corner. Plus a fun spot for mixing all kinds of potions together or just writing out the great adventures I have been on.

Floor 3.png

Now to totally relax, my little music corner and art corner do just that. Oh and how I love my walk in closet with plenty of space for my cloths. And every girls dream bathroom with a nice soaking tub. Couldn't ask for a better place to relax.

Roof.png

Now for the roof where I like to serve up giant feasts for friends on the grill or whip up something for that sweet tooth. I also have my 1/2 with plenty of privacy and reading material.

Thank you taking the tour of my beautiful home, hope you enjoyed it.
    Evil Dead, Hollywood, Keza and 10 others like this.
  7. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Here is my entry for Large House

1st Floor:
    The first thing you see when you enter is my security wall, made of small forges and black cloth. The front room is my dining room, which features my [K$C] guildstone and the head of Kirby served for dinner. The back room is my Rares Vault. The orange and purple round bags are the bottom level of my Elevator bags, which are located between this floor and the next floor up, allowing me to pass things easily up and down in the tower. As you'll notice while we go through the tower, there's a whole series of orange and purple Elevator bags going up my tower.

DecoContest_1st.png
    2nd Floor:
    The second floor features my crafting hall and my modest alchemy lab.

DecoContest_2nd.png
    3rd Floor:
    The 3rd floor features my guest seating area, which leads into the Kirby Deluxe Suite. The restroom includes a semi-functional toilet you can actually sit on.

DecoContest_3rd.png
    The Roof:
    Here I show you my Tower Roof, featuring my trophy displays, the BlackEye Memorial Rose Garden, and my secure gating area. The white bag by the stairs is the top-most of my purple Elevator bags. The roof also features the Kirby Docks, and 2 rocks I placed which blend in well with the nearby ruins.

DecoContest_Roof.png

Here are my entries for Unique Design Element
    The Blackeye Memorial Rose Garden, located on the Roof of the Kirby Dream Tower:
    I put this garden up as a memorial to the great BlackEye after he left the server. He gifted me the roses and grave dirt, so I thought the fitting for his memory. It's made of (in order from bottom to top) greyish-brownish cloth, grave dirt, 1 mandrake root, 1 nightshade, 1 whispering rose. I tossed some Easter Eggs in there for fun.

BEroses.png

The Kirby Deluxe Suite, Located on the 3rd Floor of Kirby's Dream Tower:
    The Deluxe Suite includes a very large luxury bathroom with has a semi-functional toilet that you can actually sit on!

DecoContest_Suite.png
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  8. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

Here is my entry for Medium House

Sandstone 1st Floor:

Here is the 1st floor of Kirby's Rock House, my sandstone fishing house. The external porch is a seating area centered around my mounted trophy of the first award-winning big fish I ever caught in a fishing tournament. The interior was built around the house-sitting benches in the middle. The shelves are made from clock frames and medium crates. The colored bags off to the side are level 1 tmaps (yellow), mibs (red), and special fishing nets (green).

DecoContest_Sandy1st.png

Sandstone 2nd Floor:
    The 2nd floor is my game room. The north wall of this area has my fish butcher area where I make the hundreds of thousands of fish steaks I have collected over my time fishing (the fish blood is red yarn). I made my own small balcony over the front steps, and the large balcony houses my 1151 birthday cake, and my 5th Anniversary scavenger hunt maze trophies.

DecoContest_Sandy2nd.png
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    eherruh, Evil Dead, Vandalin and 11 others like this.
  9. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Medium House Entry

For my home, I chose to go with a minimalist NPC style approach.

sandstone2.png

A simple home for one with simple needs. A place to rest after a weary day of work.

sandstone1.png

A place where one can keep watch over the city of Ocllo and the many new adventurers that begin their lives here each day.

map.png
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Chafe, compsays, Evil Dead and 17 others like this.
  10. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

Small House Entry

A glimpse inside one of the Ocllo New Player Houses shows what a good handful of new folks have spent hours training in after starting on UOR. This home is simple, yet provides many of the basics that a new adventurer will need as they prepare to enter this dangerous world we live in.

small2.png
    Canis, Evil Dead, Azoth and 12 others like this.
  11. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

@ReZon i really like your Sandy. It's cozy. I wouldn't mind living there IRL.
  12. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

Hey, guys! Just as a bit of a compliment to my entries above, here are some video tours I made of my houses! Some of the decor is interactive, so I decided pictures just weren't enough!! :p

My Large House, Kirby's Dream Tower:

My Medium House, Kirby's Rock House:

13. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    eherruh, Hadrian, (D%) and 13 others like this.
  14. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Most Unique Design Element -

HYPE TRAIN !
    Hype Train.JPG

FISHING PIER !
    Pier.JPG
    eherruh, Hadrian, puppz and 14 others like this.
  15. Quenby

Quenby Active Member

Best Decorated Small House

Greetings fellow Sosarian's, please come in and let me give you a tour of my humble abode.
    *Quenby bows graciously and swings open the steel door to his small stone tower*
    Now mind you, I do live here so please excuse the mess.
    *Shudders*
    I do not like doing the dishes as you can see, even though I have a large double basin sink with a smoothed stone countertop. In the past @TreeHugger has always come over in various cute outfits and done them for me but he has been busy lately. Come, lets leave this mess and come upstairs where its a little less chaotic.
    kitchen2.jpg

Ah, the sweet quiet serenity of my cozy library. At the request of the grey wizard, I have begun some extensive research into an extremely powerful magical artifact, old purpley. It had sadly been defiled by the evil Magi @RavenMagi but there is still hope yet that the damage can be undone.

library.jpg

Upstairs is where the research is put to practice. In the end of the day, you can spend all the time you want in a library but if you don't get hands on practice in magic or alchemy, you will never learn anything. On each stone pillar lies a brazier to light my laboratory as well as 4 eagle statues that commemorate various important aspects of my life in Brittania. There is a small stool ramp that allows me to leave the tower quickly in case adventure beckons. In addition there is an exterior ladder which I constructed because I have always disliked having it use the front door. As for the 2 skeletons hanging there, don't pay much heed, I assure you, Alex and Peg had it coming.
    sst3.jpg

Most Unique Design Element
    For most unique design element, I present my exterior ladder for theoretical quick access to the roof. This ladder is 100% *functional and even has rail so you don't fall off the edge and hurt yourself!
    exterior ladder copy.jpg
    *non
    Folly, eherruh, Hadrian and 19 others like this.
  16. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

Entry Tier: Large House
    Entry Name: Samlethe Lodge

Deco-Large.jpg
    Nestled in the mountain range bordering the Samlethe forest is this little gem. It is far enough removed from the forge that the sounds of blue collar workers will not interrupt your relaxation. All races and religions are welcome to join us, as long as they bring cash. The breakfast menu ranges from pickled herring and lagers to eggs benedict and freshly squeezed oranges. Some of the finest spirits in Britannia can be found in our temperature controlled liquor room. There isn't a mug in the world that we haven't obtained. If reading is your fancy, check out our extensive book collection featuring titles such as "Fifty shades of Hay", "Buffy the Vampire Layer" and "Auctioning for Adults, an autobiography by Uncle Donnie". But.. don't take my word on how excellently outfitted this Lodge is. Take the word of the most trustworthy person on this planet:

Martha.jpg
    Seba, eherruh, MikeK and 19 others like this.
  17. OreHound

OreHound Well-Known Member

There appears to be a serious lack of marble.
    Entry Type: Best Decorated Small House

Along the banks of a lazy river lives a dedicated crafter who loves to hew useful and pretty things out of stone and wood. She's proud of all the amenities she's made to furnish her home.

First Floor - The Horse Pen
    Reserved for the trusty steed, a secure corral with hanging kibbles, a bowl of water, and a cushy bed.
    marble1.png

Second Floor - Where the Magic Happens
    Rather, where the crafter gets down to business. I mean, where she works.
    All the tools one needs to create exceptional pieces of art.
    The painting of her sainted mother provides inspiration.
    marble2.png

Third Floor - Serenity
    After a hard day's chiseling and sewing, it's good to just sit, play a little music, admire the water view (trust me, it's there), feel the cool breeze, and chow down on raw fish steaks, wine, and sweets.
    Because while she's a grandmaster tinker, tailor, carpenter, and smith, she can't cook worth a darn.
    marble3.png
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Hadrian, TrojanCow, compsays and 11 others like this.
  18. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Entry for Best Decorated Large House

First Floor

Pre-patch dyed runebooks
    Nameless hueless trophies
    Big fish from fishing contests from both myself and @frenulum
    @amfeKk 's Valorite Runic Hammer - provided by @bart simpson

tower 1.png

Second Floor

Event trophies with character names organized by year

tower 2.png

Third Floor

Workshop area

tower 3.png

Roof

Event trophies organized by year
    Rooftop garden

tower 4.png
    Hadrian, Evil Dead, Azoth and 6 others like this.
  19. Gideon Jura

Entry for Best Decorated Small House

small 1.png

Oceanfront garage - ideal for shoeing the horses before heading out and providing the blacksmith some room to work.

small 2.png

Spartan accommodations but everything is near at hand.

small 3.png
    Evil Dead, Azoth, Hollywood and 6 others like this.
  20. Gideon Jura

Entry for Most Unique Design Element

Each hue of Pre-patch sandals

footwear.png
    Hadrian, dennozz, Evil Dead and 8 others like this.