7 forum threads with 100+ player comments should be evidence enough... MAKE CHANGES TO ARCHERY!

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by swiftfeet, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

If you want to compare to real life, you're absolutely incorrect.

Archers weren't even cutting HALF the damage of the LJs I saw in CTF last night. Chance to hit being on par with every other hit type is what is expected and normal (other than magery because that's 100% hit, with the Resist/Reflect being the balance factor for it). If you get attacked by three of ANY template simultaneously and all hits land, you should be dead. Mage, Archer, Swords man, whatever. If they have good gear, you should be dead if you didn't catch a clutch heal from a friend.

The way Archery feels now, is like melee weapons in Beta and for a while after....whiff whiff whiff whiff. I'm pretty sure the suspicion back then was that Anat/Eval/Wrestle was adding up to MORE than 100 Defensive Wrestle. Whatever fixed it so that we don't miss %80 of our swings on fighters, made them finally usable and the fix to damage rolls made them much more viable in the field. Archers are suffering from a terrible chance to hit simply because they aren't standing still. I guess we should add that code to Magery and all melee weapons too so if you've moved in the last few seconds, you're going to miss like you just picked up the weapon for the first time. If I'm only getting hit for ~20 damage with a verite runic level bow.....balancing the hit chance will not be overpowered in any way.

I wouldn't have a problem with non-offensive potion buffs for Alchemy bonus but still think it's got potential for being OP.
    Keza likes this.
  2. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. Exorcist

Exorcist Member

Maybe the argument is LJ axer is OP.

That video doesn't prove anything on a real life basis. Stick to UO arguments.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

You were the one who drew a comparison between archery and melee for accuracy in real life, not me. You're incorrect and accuracy is finite, both have the ability to be similarly accurate depending on the skill of the weapon user. Perhaps a personal review of the definition of accuracy might help.

The Lumberjack class has had significant changes here, compared to OSI, to ensure that it was not overpowered. Specifically, Concussion blow (I know, Swords, but all axes get it too) was dropped to -25, instead of -50. That, and the damage modifiers were specifically altered to suit the shard's goal of perfection. The "two-hit kill" is an ultra-rare occurrence, almost exclusive to targets with no armor on. As I understand it, LJ on OSI was as OP as Alchemy mages but here they are just another viable template. On that same note, again, I would not be opposed to seeing Alchemy adjusted to suit the goal of perfection here but at OSI levels, it would be wildly imbalanced in their favor.
    swiftfeet likes this.
  5. Gideon Jura

Exorcist likes this.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Flag carriers dead every time....like three mages dropping spells in sync. Been dying to that in CTF since day one of CTF here. Just saying.
    Exorcist likes this.
  7. Gideon Jura

Exorcist likes this.
  8. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

You can't screen an archery shot if the shot is actually fired, there's just a delay between shooting & after you stop moving, but the damage is instant
  9. Gideon Jura

10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

A lot of us remember outrunning arrows in another land.....lolol fuck that sucked.
  11. Gideon Jura

12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

That's when you could cast with a bow in your hands. lol Good times.
  13. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the perks coming through the bow type rather than the archery skill itself (runic bows for carp bods?)

like a poison bow
    more range or damage bows
    faster bows

etc

even the old ones with like ghouls touch or fireball or something, I miss those types of spell mods on weps

I just hope it could be more available than runic weps so it wouldn't be another 1% advantage

even special deco bows (cause you know the cupid bows and stuff are cool looking for decoration themes) that didn't have any perks but just a different graphic or color would be a good reward.

If not as a bod reward, then I think putting things like that as random tchest drops would be fun too. I'd like to see chest loot adjusted for neater items.
    Keza likes this.
  14. Gideon Jura

Keza likes this.
  15. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

There are so many things that can be done. I kinda wish I had a Dev/Test account where I could on my own time test different things for archery. Would even be better if I could get 10 or so people to actually do test a few hours a week and go over if its OP or not. If anyone has an account and wishes to try and test changes I would be more than willing to put in endless hours testing and figuring out what is best.
    Keza likes this.
  16. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I like all these suggested changes, but @swiftfeet is right... We need to be testing stuff like this in order to make it a reality.

I dont have much play time, but I'd be down for some testing as well, if made available.
  17. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

We need Archery buffs! How do I get a runic bow? thank you
    swiftfeet likes this.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Wulver, 86 of them spawned as loot drops on Cupids this year:
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/itemdetails/Bow/13B2/1

They are agapite hued but verite runic equivalent level of function. If you can't find one for sale, I've got one you can buy (I bought three and only use one for shooting and one for deco).
  19. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

20. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Oh okay, wasn't on... won't be on until I am back from my deployment. :( Hope archery gets some changes while I am out. :p