70 Magery or 100 Magery for a Warrior template?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Foxhound3857, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857 Member

To be honest, I feel like I would prefer that Archery be part of this template. I could use it not only to finish off fleeing enemies, but also to kite tough enemies that hit too hard to safely engage in melee combat. I could have Dress macros set to quickly swap between the War Hammer and the Bow, depending on what's needed. That would be more like my old Paladin build in AoS.

GM Macefighting
    GM Archery
    GM Tactics
    GM Anatomy
    GM Healing
    GM Magery
    GM Resisting Spells
    100/85/40 and using Dexxer suits.

I think I may go this route instead; I've been saving all the arrows/bolts I've looted, and I even have my Scavenger agent set to pick up any ammo or reagents on the ground as I pass by, so they've been adding it.
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  3. Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857 Member

Heavy Crossbow seems like it'd be the way to go with Archery, as it does the most damage per shot. Factoring in GM Tactics, a 25/Vanq Slayer on a Heavy Crossbow could supposedly do 150+ on a single shot.

I'll play around with it a bit, but I can see myself running with that sort of build, as then the Magery isn't being wasted (retain 40 Int to use Gate Travel when needed, and keep Mindblast from being too painful). I would just need to get used to weapon swapping via macro.

I plan on building a fletcher anyway (my crafter will have Smith/Tailor/Carpentry/Tinkering/Bowcraft).
  4. One

One Well-Known Member

5. Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857 Member

I kinda want to say that Macefighting can probably use an improvement as well. Swordfighting has quite a few weapons that can apply Concussion Blow, but Macefighting only has one, the Warhammer. All of its other 2-handers, Gnarled, Black, Quarterstaves, Shepherds Crook (not that I would expect this one to), don't benefit from it.

Granted, Macefighting weapons do all inflict stamina and armor damage, but I'm not sure how much that matters in PvM or PvP. Maybe I should consider one-handed Mace weapons though, for more consistency with DPS and the stamina/armor drain. It's not much at 0 Parry, but a shield can still give a bit of AR, and every little bit helps.
    One likes this.
  6. One

One Well-Known Member

7. Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857 Member

I'll do some testing later this week. According to some forum searching, War Hammer and War Mace are two of the overall best Mace weapons available. War Axe is supposedly bugged and doesn't inflict stamina/armor damage like it's supposed to, so I'll likely avoid that. I already have a +25/Power War Mace to use as well.

I know, I'm just foolishly stubborn and refuse to conform.
    One likes this.
  8. Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857 Member

I'm running low on bank space, so I've got five suits of unused Bone Armor to give if anybody needs them.

I'm also wondering which wands are worth keeping. So far I'm holding on to Heal 10+ Charges, Greater Heal 3+ charges, Fireball, Lightning, ID and Mana Draining.
  9. One

One Well-Known Member

10. Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857 Member

Yeesh, finally, GM Magery:

[​IMG]

Still debating whether to just push for GM Resists now, or wait for an event. I'm still getting Healing gains with this macro too.
    MikeK likes this.
  11. Ubo

Ubo Well-Known Member

All I’ll say is I started with an LJ and never looked back.
    Very versatile build and the dmg is awesome.
    I like
    Anat
    Tact
    Swords
    Lj
    Heal
    Magery (for magic reflect and clutch heals)
    Resist
    or drop magery resist and add music Provo
    Great survivability if played well and great damage. can manage most mid/highish range pvm easily
    Vincent Blackshadow likes this.
  12. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Wait for an event for GM resist.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member

Foxhound3857 likes this.
  14. Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857 Member

Nice, I'll definitely be there.
    One likes this.
  15. Zombiekitty

Zombiekitty New Member

Older post but wanted to chime in and say 99.9 Magery is best for a Dex-based char that would be used in PVP.
  16. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Why 99.9?

Seems an odd choice when 100 is so close to it.
  17. Zombiekitty

Zombiekitty New Member

Because with GM Magery your stat altering spells will be +11 as will any debuffs applied by enemy casters. However, at 99.9 your stat altering spells will be +10. Thus, enemy caster debuffs you to set your stats for better MB damage for -11, you rebuff the affected stat for +10, and when he goes to bring them back down he can't because you're already under the affect (-1). Assuming of course that this server works like it did in UO:R.
    Jill Stihl likes this.
  18. Zombiekitty

Zombiekitty New Member

Sorry, please disregard my earlier post. I tested tonight to verify this to see if it works like it did on official shards and it does not. Here you can de-buff for -11 and -10. This did not work like this during the actual UO:R era but doesn't seem like it's something they are likely to implement here.
    StarTrakZack likes this.