A Red's Injustice...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Cheapsuit, Jan 7, 2018.

Should reds be allowed in town and have stat loss taken away?

1. Yes, it will bring more pvp to the server.

31.7%
  2. No, i get scared at the sight of reds, and don't want them anywhere near me.

58.5%
  3. Makes me no difference either way, just as long as there's more action.

11.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

What is in the air today that's causing people to suggest I move to another shard lol you guys are something else. Thanks, but I think I'll stick around. :)
    But if I'm surrounded by skinny chicks, I'll never stop letting them know that I like girls with big butts. But it doesn't mean I'll stop relations with the skinny chicks until that time comes.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Another way at looking at what your suggesting is a total nerf on guards. With your suggestion they become completely void?

What would be the purpose of guards in your concept?
  3. Cheapsuit

The guards would act as they currently do, if someone breaks the law, that get guard whacked. Reds would only be allowed in town, they won't be allowed to kill innocents.
  4. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

In most of UO:R, guards were out-runnable. They didn't instant-kill with lightning like they do now. This was added in the later part of UO:R just before AOS came in.

Allowing reds in town was implemented across all OSI felucca areas in 2004. So it wasn't far off. It was to support the field of pvp expanding into cities and towns as factions gained more and more popularity.

It didn't allow Reds to freely attack blues in town, it just allowed them to use vendors and NPCs. HOWEVER, bola's existed and a red could easily be dismounted and ganked back then.
  5. Sheepdog

And you don't think that would be exploited?
  6. Sheepdog

Can I ask @Cheapsuit are you currently, with any character, in factions? A war/pvp guild or have any characters that are Red?
  7. Cheapsuit

By exploit, do you mean a blue attacking a red in town and not having the comfort of running and hiding behind the guards? if he initiates the attack, he's no longer innocent.
  8. Cheapsuit

I currently just log in players and watch wildcard weekend. I haven't played in some time. Does that mean I shouldn't have an opinion?
  9. Sheepdog

Ok, so that's a No to currently.

Previously have you had any characters in a faction? War/PVP guild or had a character that was Red?
  10. SativaGreen

Yes, the system would only benefit reds in a way that allows them to chase down their attackers into town.

If anything, Heat of Battle should be added so Moongates, Gate Travel, and Recall do not work if you initiate an attack on a player. It doesn't keep blues from guard zone hugging, but it keeps them from freely attacking and just recalling.

Don't see why this isn't active in a UO:R Felucca only server.
    ___

The real issue is PvP is mostly dead. They'll need to address far larger issues than these type of systems to bring it back to life.

The server is effectively a trammel shard with a "Felucca" system. Almost 0 incentive to join Factions or Order/Chaos unless it's just player choice.

Being able to bless your items with factions almost forced all PvPer into it. So, I guess they don't like that idea here, which I can understand with such a low population.
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  11. Cheapsuit

I've had a faction char in the past, is this going somewhere?
  12. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Automated, instanced, PvP maps with various obejectives, hinged on a player base auto-queue.

It's the next step, if you really think about it.
    One, Vandalin and SativaGreen like this.
  13. SativaGreen

Yeah, I agree. Some sort of battlegrounds where you don't lose items (Trammel). I know we have the PvP duel pits, but something more interactive like Capture the Flag would be awesome.
  14. Minax

Minax Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You could just join factions and fight In town....
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  15. SativaGreen

Ideally, yeah. Would be nice to see factions actually active though.
  16. Minax

Minax Well-Known Member

From what I hear there is some faction updates coming soon. And i think most pvp guild are starting to use factions.
  17. SativaGreen

I wish they were more vocal about upcoming PvP changes, considering the state of PvP.
  18. Imbol

Imbol Active Member

It seems like a good idea to encourage PvP, but allowing reds in town/curbing stat loss doesn't strike me as a good way to do it.

Personally, I have no incentive to PvP. It seems that most of the PvPers on the server are rich and/or filthy rich.

So, with all that gold/assets, what risk is in it for them? Seems like very little, compared to myself or any other newcomer (not that I intend to speak for them). The risk is *only* mine, and the reward is minimal (if it exists at all).

Buying a new set of gear can wreck a new player. Even if I'm not buying it, simply acquiring it is a pain. But for the server's regular PvPers, who cares if they die? They're probably wearing some blessed clothes with spare sets of everything ready-to-go.

Not much risk at all imo.
  19. SativaGreen

PvP is generally geared toward end-game players who have accomplished most of what the game offers, or what they're interested it. Most PvPers usually aren't in it for the tangible rewards other than feeling like they can beat someone else.

In this era, there was no bosses or end game drops. Even champs didn't exist until much later. Most every player was equipped with PvP templates. The end-game WAS PvP.
    ____

However, here in this server, they've added additional farmable and safe area spawns (boses, lvl 7 tmaps, xmas scrolls, etc) which helped transitioned away from a true Felucca facet.

The idea that you could be killed by another player created an additional risk to going out to the world. This seems to be missing here as players are able to attempt to complete the end-game challenge without encountering other players (Trammel).

The true aspect of Risk vs Reward gets lost on this server.

Players can farm holiday event items to get rich and completely avoid any of the money-making ventures (that also puts them in danger of other players) the game even offers, rendering them useless.
    ____

It gets beyond just adding small fixes to address these issues. PvP here is a secondary thought. Sadly, in a UO:R server.
  20. Twister

Twister Well-Known Member

I never played on a server with stat loss and on a first thought I'm really opposed to stat loss.
    HOWEVER, I also never played on a server with 700 skillcap.

The thing is: with 700 skillcap PKing becomes a one-sided game. A PvM char in a dungeon can't fight back (unless he's a tamer, but OP taming is a completely different issue). Not always because a PvMer does not know how to PvP, but because he's playing on a non-PvP char at the moment. Which really makes PKing in dungeons a shitty act on UOR. So, in this world, stat loss does make sense to me.

It's fun to not have stat loss, because more people are not afraid to be red. You even get red noobs with non-GM skills and shitty equip. It can be fun. But with 700 skillcap it won't be that way.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    SativaGreen likes this.