A Red's Injustice...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Cheapsuit, Jan 7, 2018.

Should reds be allowed in town and have stat loss taken away?

1. Yes, it will bring more pvp to the server.

31.7%
  2. No, i get scared at the sight of reds, and don't want them anywhere near me.

58.5%
  3. Makes me no difference either way, just as long as there's more action.

11.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

Anything other than the current system; however, it goes beyond the ramifications of murderers and begins with incentive to actually be in places where non-consensual PvP can occur.

The real point of this thread is about increasing PvP in a UO:R NO TRAMMEL server. Which shouldn't be such a scorned topic...

When they removed STCs in dungeons, people had a reason to be in them. I think anything along the lines of increasing the Reward for players to be in dungeons while doing something to increase the Risk will help solve the same issues. Whether stat loss is adjusted or not is really besides the point if there's increased PvP.

___

They did the Destard special spawn tonight and Hedge Maze spawn over the weekend. It was awesome PvP because of the increased rewards.

More stuff like that.

Whether it's town events where reds can come (I've seen them turn off the guards in Moonglow) or increasing rewards/spawn in Dungeons.

It's all the same thing, as long as there's more PvP.
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  2. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I have no clue what STC’s are, but whenever I go farm, it seems the best spots are always taken. I don’t know what hours you play, but there is plenty of activity out and about in dungeons. And rewards can hardly get any better than the plat train that champs are.

At the height of C^V (my former guild), we used to roll 8-10 deep running around dungeons looking for reds to fight. I don’t see a real anti-pk group here. Really punishing murderers upon death would create an incentive for more active anti-pk groups and THEN you’d find PvP. You would not need staff activated events to create PvP. It would be out and about in the world.
    One likes this.
  3. SativaGreen

Short term counts. They were removed in dungeons on OSI with Publish 16 once the Champion system became fully active with Powerscrolls and the Harrower was added. So, technically, that's where we're at except we have STCs.

The game used to actually just boot you from all dungeons for 30 minutes if you died. This was the beginning of item insurance too because all blues kept their loot on their ghost. Reds only kept 50% of their resources if they died.

It became an early form of battlegrounds.

You can see they tried various ways to get blues and reds inside dungeons. Which lacks here, in my opinion. Whether that's because of the stigma surrounded by stat/skill loss or just the overall low incentive to be in dungeons.

Both were handled in Publish 16, and very successfully. So hopefully we can draw some inspiration of the good things OSI did with Risk vs Reward.
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  4. SativaGreen

This was because of Powerhour, if you remember. The whole server would gain increased skill chance for 1 hour (8pm EST) which resulted in about 30+ newbs at the BK bone wall in Deciet. Fucking awesome times. Waiting for stamina to refresh just to get close enough to the choke point.

No one could even afford a horse back then...

All for some reds to come in and take us out like bowling pins.
  5. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  6. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

TL;DR this thread except for OP: anathema!
  7. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

Yes you're currently playing and I am not, I respect that, and of course you have insight, never doubted that. But there are plenty of players who aren't currently playing.
    I'm speaking on those reasons and trying to improve the attraction of the server for everyone. Did I succeed? Maybe not, but they get to choose, right here, with this poll.
    There will never be a solution to tickle everyone's fancy, but in order to improve at ANYTHING, you must be willing to make changes.
    You have been here a few months, I've been starring at the character statues macroing in occlo a little longer than you, and it becomes bothersome at some point.

So you go right ahead and enjoy the server (this alone makes me happy), but please allow me my voice on how and what I think might improve
    our server.

Edit: I also agree that there should be consequences to murder, I just don't agree that preventing a toon from playing (stat loss) is the answer. I like encouraging people to play, not the other way around.
    One likes this.
  8. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member

I haven't read all 6 pages of this post, so from the title here is my view:

when you say Red in town, you are talking about Ocollo, the 'safe heaven' and I would say a firm No... If you really want to be to be able to be attacked in town, take stealing. be known as a perma grey and Bobs your uncle.

and stat loss is a major part of being a PK, the downside to running about slaughtering afk tamers and cotton pickers is that you need to watch that you either don't have over 5 short or you have to be leet enough not to die.
    One likes this.
  9. One

One Well-Known Member

10. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member

Isn't the whole point of UOR to be more or less as it was, and there is a town reds can go to. If people want to hangout there they can.
    One likes this.
  11. One

One Well-Known Member

12. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

I thought it was to perfect what once was, and I think Chris has come pretty close. Sure there are a few tweaks here and there that deserve some attention but all of this, everything, comes from one single person and their free time.

It is my opinion, still, that a major overhaul of one of the biggest mechanics in the game would have a massive negative affect.

Of course I would appreciate PVP getting some attention, but this is not what it needs.
  13. Cheapsuit

Something like this is should be easily reversible if it produces more negatives than positives, I would think. Of course I'm not a coder, so I wouldn't know for sure.
  14. Skydancer

Skydancer Active Member

Allow reds in town, remove stat/loss, revise shorts/longs.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  15. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

16. Skydancer

Skydancer Active Member

The only reason you've got nobody but blues to come after is because y'all want to camp PvM'ers instead of seeking out actual PvP.
  17. Cheapsuit

The reason killing blues feels so much better, is that feeling of violation.
  18. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

The reason you could do this on Siege is the one character per account, imo.

I for one never understood why people go red, usually killing people that are preoccupied with PvE, not setup to PvP, or AFK killing.... So you basically want to be able to do all this and have no consequences.... Cool story.
    Anarchy and Leopold like this.
  19. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

I played a custom, long running server, that toggled this back and forth. Yes, there is more action in towns. The devil was in the details tho. Healing a red in town was still a criminal action, so you got guard wacked. At best you get one or two dummies attack your red and you get to run around and handle them. On the bad side, all the tamers start pulling tames out of the stable and sync "All Kill" on you. So it would kinda promote more action, but not any more then coming into town grey. Also there was no stat loss which was nice, but then again stat loss really helps prevent rez killing.
  20. Magnolia

Magnolia Member

I know many who don't go to places where reds hang out because pvp is not a talent they have. My pvp skill is -85. If pvp were the most popular thing to do, more would be in factions. If a pvp town was going to be popular, Buc's Den would be crowded. As you can tell, Buc's Den is usually deserted. I can't go to my fav stable now as Reds come there often and I get tired of being killed and losing my stuff. I am poor at pvm too so I don't have unlimited resources to keep buying my supplies. If there were no 'safe' areas here, I know me and many others who would not be here. If you want to go to towns and pvp, move to Buc's. If there are not many there, it means others don't want their town to be full of pvp also. You don't need a survey to get the answer to if reds should be in towns, the proof is already apparent by the choices of where people go. I already miss out on a lot of fun things to do because of reds and being killed and looted before I can enjoy where I am going. Reds in towns? I won't be on this server. I would not be able to play as I would have everything looted and not be alive long enough to enjoy the game.
    Skydancer likes this.