Accessing your home UOR computer From Work

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by RIN, Jul 28, 2017.

1. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Problem for me is, my ISP forces its users to have combination modem routers that don't allow you to access the router side to do things like port forwarding or vpn.
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

I use Windows RDP with WOL, it lets me start up/shut down my PC remotely and monitor macros.

There's also lots of android/iPhone apps like "RD Client" that let you connect using your phone.
  3. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

Don't you need a static IP? Or a IP forwarding service that needs port forwarding?
  4. Chadarius

Chadarius Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I think that is probably illegal. You should be able to replace their stupid equipment with your own cable modem and a router of your choice and in the process save a bunch of money. Generally they charge you monthly fees for that equipment.

The only time I've seen a requirement for using their cable equipment as a mandatory thing was if you were using a whole home DVR system that had the cable modem and wifi built in. By the way, that was the most craptastic experience I've ever had with cable equipment. WOW did this when I had one, but I was still able to get into their interface and manage port routing through the NAT. Eventually I got sick of the whole thing and built my own DVR and got a cable card from them. I save about $40 by not using their cable equipment. :)

You can probably save about $120 per year just by using your own cable modem. But as I use cheap Android boxes and Kodi to stream everything from my DIY DVR I'm saving about $480 per year because I have no cable equipment at all other than a cable card.
  5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

A static IP is not necessary, though it does help. As long as you have some way of finding your home networks details, or can access it remotely, it works.

Port forwarding just needs to be set up with your home router, just set port 3389 to forward to your local PC, and set your local IP in the network settings.
  6. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I cannot use a different modem. I have the Armstrong EXP system, which is TV, Phone, & Internet. Its modem/router combo is needed to run everything. And no, port forwarding is not allowed.
  7. Semaj

Semaj Member

Thanks RIN. Tried AnyDesk today from work and it works straight out the box with no install. Also tried TeamViewer but in terms of performance AnyDesk is better. Having said that it isn't that responsive - quite significant lag. I guess that's just the way it is with remote desktops? I mean, it's usable; I'll still be able to macro and do some admin etc but PvM is out of the question.
    RIN likes this.
  8. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

So I did some testing over the weekend and I've settled on AnyDesk. Yes, the lag is horrible. It is worse than Teamviewer, back when it worked for me, but regardless both were not playable in PvM. Purely for macro monitoring. I can manage to walk around with AnyDesk, but it is pretty hard. I also used the Android AnyDesk app and it works on my S7, but movement is out. It is only for making sure a macro is working and what the skill is at.

I'm using AnyDesk, but still keeping my options open.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Semaj likes this.
  9. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Google's Chrome browser has an extension called Remote Desktop which was easy for me.
    Nightwolf likes this.