Actually punish PKs when they die

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Fred, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

No risk, you say?

[​IMG]

Hang out in IRC tonight, watching the bounties being collected, and tell me again how little risk there is to being red...
  2. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Can you give me some examples of risk that is greater then any other status ie grey or blue, that a red faces?
    BlackEye likes this.
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Getting dragged into a 8 page circular argument on the forums.
  4. Christoph Brock

I don't know, maybe having a giant bullseye on their backs? People enjoy killing reds as much as the reds enjoy killing them, and murderers get killed every day here. Sounds pretty balanced to me!
  5. The Horseman

The Horseman New Member

Alas there are no real answers to the PK issue. Jupiter summed it up succinctly with his bell curve. When I was playing I always wanted people to fight back, I tried to make a practice out of not dry looting and ressing if at all possible (except when someone talked a little shit, then I got a little petty) but there were people who still got pissed off, which is o.k. there's nothing wrong with being butthurt in UO, it can actually make you a better player over time (or make you a bitter, hateful shell of a human being bent on revenge). If people leave then they just didn't find that content they were looking for or achieved their endgame. UO Renaissance is pretty good, but I do agree that being red is way too easy and PKing is a little too easy. Then again for anyone who has played this game for any period of time it's simply a case of knowing where the hot spots are, recalling in, interrupting that first recall attempt of your mark then take care of business and gate out (hopefully you haven't screwed up and got yourself killed, because that's embarrassing). Wash, rinse, repeat. I'm not sure what changes could be put in place to change that, it's just a matter of becoming proficient at a certain playstyle and practicing until it becomes second nature.
  6. Xevec

Xevec Active Member

I think the main issue with the ability to be able to easily macro off counts, is because everyone has 3 accounts. So a pk can just have one or two on each account.
    It seems though that the 3 account thing is pretty standard on freeshards so OUR isn't out of place here. Also by the same account if your tamer gets pked, you can switch accounts and go after them with another character.
  7. Christoph Brock

I see this often. Reds mostly kill for fun and profit. It's just business. But when their more vocal victims get ressed and jump on the forums, they spew vengeance and dream of the day that the pvper who bested them gets smacked down by Telamon.

It says a lot, I think, about the frame of mind of the various types of players here.
  8. Christoph Brock

Back in the day, one could play as many accounts as he/she paid for, correct?
  9. That Guy

I don't feel major changes to pking are needed, but I would like if being red had some actual risk to it. I think you'd see more people red hunting, less wanna be pks just looking for pvp and it would hold a bit more prestige in being red
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

It can be fun to dialogue on a topic and seek balance.

I do wish that more people would understand that when it comes to MMO's, balance is a worthwhile goal to work towards knowing you'll never truly achieve it. I think that philosophy keeps things fresh.

It seems to me there's growing concerns about 'packs of pk's running rampant'. I dare say it's the primer of this thread topic.

I'll tell you what I haven't seen yet. I haven't seen dialogue of any of these victims seeking available in-game solutions to the problem.

Tell ya what, you can't go skippin' step 2 and go straight to 3. Where I the one holding all the code, I sure as hell wouldn't budge to make changes until I saw people apply themselves first.
  11. That Guy

I don't disagree with your statement.
    From my time playing here I have noticed that red status has been used more for pvp only, the way factions were ment to be used, then the way the mechanic was actually intended. That's not something that a single group of people can change by using in-game solutions. This can only be fixed with tweaks to the core mechanics.
    wylwrk likes this.
  12. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I will never believe "I go red because there's no PvP in order/chaos/factions".
    One likes this.
  13. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Indeedly so sir. If you fear a red that can come at you three times back to back, you could just bring 3 tamers and set up some great macros and be dang near invincible.

Plus, that means you killed them at least once. They would eventually stop attacking you if they know they have a chance of losing
  14. Genocide

Genocide Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I solo PK with Valorite weapons.... you can stfu now
    One and That Guy like this.
  15. That Guy

Your one of the exemptions not the rule.
    But I also could pvp with Val weapons that's nothing to do with being red :)
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    One likes this.
  16. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  17. Christoph Brock

Thank you for that. I can't really say anything that I haven't already. But to make my point clear: I can't stand changing things when there's no pressing need for the change, whether pks or anything else. I love this era just the way it was. That's why I play here. It's closer than any other to the real deal.

The shard is about as populated as it ever has been. The economy is good. Both shard and player events are well attended. There are plenty of people adventuring in dungeons. Everywhere I go there are people playing and having a good time. I see nothing wrong the the pk dynamics of this shard, and furthermore, it generally does not seem to discourage gameplay to any statistically significant level. That's really the only reason I could see to change anything.

What gets me, though, is the complaining. We're adults here. This is Chris' shard, not ours. If someone dislikes the situation so much that they go on and on and on about pks here in the forums, then perhaps this just isn't the right place for that person.

Trammelism is a term I use to describe a frame of mind, regardless of time period. It generally describes a mindset that favors one's own interests over the greater interests of the shard, usually by people who can't seem to get their @#$% together and make a successful char without some kind of ridiculous supports (which there are already plenty of).

When I say 'Trammelite', I'm not talking about the experienced players who happen to disagree with me on this issue, like you. I'm talking about the newbs who start threads like this one. But I have to say I'm a little disappointed that you bring up the three accounts. My uncle had two accounts back in 1998. I remember hearing about others who had more. The multiple accounts argument is a red herring. Not to mention that not all pks have multiple accounts here. I didn't create my second account until over a year after I'd started this one.

To go on, I'm sick of the 'me first gimme gimme' BS, especially from newbs. There are a thousand other games rife with it. I'd rather keep that crap out of here.

I will go to my online grave saying, "Keep UOR UOR!" That's the bottom line for me. Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
    That Guy, Halabinder and One like this.
  18. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    That Guy and Halabinder like this.
  19. Christoph Brock

Likewise, friend!
    One and Halabinder like this.
  20. Curly Sue

Curly Sue Well-Known Member

The UO you are referencing was on dial up modems with 1 account per person.

Even if people had multi accounts back then, Adding longer short counts actually brings us closer to the UO you knew and loved as nobody tied up there phone line 24/7 to burn off shorts. Not to me tion Macros weren't avilable to retrain. We could make shorts never burn off and it would still be easier to be a red today than it was in the golden age of UO.

So what it sounds like your saying is that you like how easy it is to be a PK now and everyone pushing for more difficult standards is Trammel when ironically, you are against making it more difficult for yourself? (The definition of Trammel).

P.S. I only play PKs and am not a blue who is complaining about PKs. As of now, mage PKs risk nothing when they go out except for regs. The majority of PKs here have nothing worth taking when you kill them since everything they have of value is blessed (lame). If you are lucky, you might get a PK with a golden runic weapon and cheap armo (worthless). Most PKs I see are PVPing blues because if they die it doesn't matter. There have even been PKs at events because again, what does it matter if they die.. You can't even kill them and go about your business because they res and come right back.

And btw, I'm not complaining. Just stating facts and expressing opinions.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Jupiter, One, PaddyOBrien and 2 others like this.