Admins : What do you think about setting up a discord channel?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Akasha, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Nightwolf, Nootka, Antos and 2 others like this.
  3. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

The app for Discord is pretty awesome... and glad to see it's free too. Discord has my vote!
  4. TiMi

TiMi Active Member

iRC is era accurate :D tehehe

Discord is ok , still in its beta stages though.

I only heard of discord through albion.
  5. Enziet

Enziet New Member

These discord guys are paying big name streamers a large advertisement fee. They advertise, you click their links and advertise for free. Sorry but Teamspeak / Mumble / Ventrillo / Skype are still too good.

This is not the first time one piece of software has tried to dominate the market. As the Admin has stated before though, there is always a huge hit when you get above 10 - 15 people as the bandwidth usage goes up and the "Free" service is no longer viable to support the amount required.

Also as a personal thing. Have 10+ people all in one chat room is a pain in the ass when they all try to say something at the same time. Much easier to just type it out in IRC, and the groups running dungeons / pk's can use their VoIP while grouping.
  6. Siq

Siq New Member

Why dont people use DISCORD? its amazing.. One of the best voice/text chat for gamers i have came across.
    Larloch likes this.
  7. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

agreed
  8. Vemp

Vemp Active Member

Discord >
  9. Tsarkon

Tsarkon Active Member

10. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I looked into it. I chose to pass.
  11. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

Reading someones opinion would hardly constitute a fair shake. I don't usually go all in on something but there is no way you can tell me that IRC is even in the same realm as Discord. mIRC is the oldest version of a chat room you can conceive. People need more like pictures, videos, or how about being able to keep better tabs on your post and or the post people are sending you. The only thing it lacks atm is the people. I suggest the admins add a link to the Discord channel just like the IRC. Everyone log in and use it for a week. Besides it being super user friendly, it is super sexy and we all need a little more sexy in our lives.
  12. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I set up channels and used it. There's better options out there, none of them worth changing things up for. The voice chat cannot adequately support my needs running a large guild. The other stuff is not important and is not needed for me.

We still have players logging into the old #uor channel wondering where everyone went. Changing things up for a clearly lacking solution is simply not worth it. If you want smileys and embedded you tube videos, then go "play" facebook.

Players, myself included, already spend entirely too much time in IRC or on the forums and not actively playing in-game. This is not needed. I will not migrate myself or my guild over to it after having tried it out. Furthermore, it is not primetime yet. As a former web dev, I about had a stroke when I was fiddling with this.

Sorry, a big thumbs down from me.
    Descartes likes this.
  13. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member

Whats handy about discord is the ability to read messages which were posted during your absence (similar to skype)
    Also the ability to link videos and pictures, and to have an all-in one chat + voice program.

Ive set up a channel for Stormhold for example, this comes handy since we play on different timezones and can exchange things easy that way.
    The voice quality is excellent, and channels + rights/permissions are easy to manage.

At your current setup its propably not worth migrating however Lightshade, but if youre planning to set up someting new then you should defenitly give it a try :)
  14. Nootka

Nootka Member

Yes, Discord is a great solution. I also believe that we need an official channel of the shell. Let it be, it is not who does not interfere. His audience he will eventually own. For example I am not a native speaker of English, but the shell fully supports my native language. And generally it combines everything you need in one app. It is convenient.;)
  15. Desolate

Desolate Active Member

I use discord frequently. Its a pretty fantastic tool to use, easy to manage. Much nicer to use than IRC in my opinion. Being able to use it on an App from my phone is great. I think that ability alone would create more frequent engaged chat traffic. Easier to communicate trades. I was actually surprised to come over to UoR and see that its still using IRC. As Telemon stated the admins reasons, im sure they'll do more research. Or not, i really dont know. But figured i would give a little more insight.
  16. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

I use Discord somewhat regularly now.

It has off-and-on problems picking up my mic, for whatever reason. Otherwise a nice app and very easy to use.
  17. Milky Milkerson

Milky Milkerson Active Member

IRC has a voice channel?
  18. Milky Milkerson

Milky Milkerson Active Member

You know discord has text channels, right? I almost never use the voice channels.
  19. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Active Member

Ive used the Discord app for gaming for over a year. Its pretty much the bees knees, its widely adopted enough that you can be sure it will be here for a while. Many technology companies are even opting for discord over slack for team collaboration. I found the actual working link above :), and will be logged in there mostly. Its a PITA to log into IRC (yet another app open...) and I have discord open for a multitude of reasons so... hopefully Ill see you all in there :)

As for the complaint about voice chat clutter - I have a simple solution, I dont go in those. Wouldnt know about the issue, Ive never once gone into a voice chat room ;).
    MORGOTH likes this.
  20. Merlin

Merlin Active Member

Wow, this comment didn't age well.

There once was this guy who stood out front of the Apple store, explaining to all the people in line about his Razr flip phone remains the best choice on the market and refused to embrace change and better tech. The others in line shook their head, chuckled, and moved on into the store.

#SorryNotSorryForThreadNecro