AFK gathering gump improvements

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Wil, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

That's just Gideon's title, Wil. Pay it no mind.

As far as the solid gump and scavenger. . . The gump shouldn't ever be triggered by the scavenger agent. Like I said, though, I prefer the way the gump looks now. I was just offering what I thought could be an improvement to another's suggestion.
  2. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

So, to resurrect an old thread. I've encountered some reoccurring issues with the Rare Gump itself. I don't have an issue with its frequency, timing, or options.

I have an issue with the placement and size of the AFK Gump.

Many times i've been mid-click while in hairy situations and had to put the brakes on to keep from screwing up an AFK Gump. Its happened 4 or 5 times this weekend already. It has absolutely gotten me killed in the past. Well, today it bit me in the butt. I clicked while trying to target a monster mid-stride only to have the AFK Gump slide in between and me disappear in a red pillar of flames. It actually happened so fast that I thought it was a new monster I had not encountered for a 1/10 of a second.

This only wastes everyone's time, Chris' included, when situations like this arise and I feel it can easily be avoided.

I understand the idea behind putting a big huge gump right in the middle of your screen. Its so you can't possibly miss it. The truth is, though, if you're actually paying attention it doesn't matter where or how big that gump is. Your eye will detect the change on your screen. Just like when you see a Red name pop up on the edge of your screen before they make it on your screen. So the argument that a big large gump smack dab in the middle of the screen is needed doesn't really hold water for those actually sitting at the computer.

I bring this up because there are legitimate situations in this game where having a big gump popping up in the middle of your screen can get you unfairly jailed, killed, or both.

To me, this is easily remedied with a re-design of the gump and its location.

To that end, I would request that we pursue a gump that is not smack in the middle of your screen. This only invites an erroneous click. I would recommend that it pop up on the left side of the screen and be long and narrow so that it does not block your playing window.

I know that mistaken clicks are not a huge issue, but its something that can be prevented. That will save the players from wasting away a few minutes in jail mistakingly...and more importantly...save Chris the time and effort of addressing accidental jailings going forward.

Just my thoughts.
    ReZon, Quayle and Faber like this.
  3. Bates

Bates Member

Okay that was a blast from the past, Yeah, I took the time to read it all. Only thing I would change is the Gump Location, So Far *Knock on Wood* I have yet to be jailed. But I have died cause of it.

Having it pop in the top left works, center stage is deadly.

No other changes required
    ReZon and Basoosh like this.
  4. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Top left works for me.
  5. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

For accidental clicks: On a failed gump challenge, just repeat with a new challenge. If you accidentally click the wrong thing a second time, then you will certainly pay better attention to the second challenge. Fail that, and off to jail you go.

As for the other points, it really sounds like you are exactly the person this system is trying to limit. So I would say it's working pretty good.

As a mental exercise, think about how different this thread's comments would be, if the author was red rover! :rolleyes:
    Basoosh likes this.
  6. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

This sounds like a good solution too.
  7. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Versus 10 town guards.
  9. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Or...

If you screw the pooch on the AFK Gump, do your time and get over it :) If you are actually there, macroing attended, when the gump appears, then its a no brainer.

If you are doing ANYTHING else, food, bio, you tube, IRC, then you truly are not attended.

Matter of fact, lets just shorten the response times and go with a 3 strike rule instead of 10.