AFK Gump? Please at least try to read before voting, this is why we ended up with Trump

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Poogoblin, Jan 14, 2018.

Should IDOC rules be changed eg. AFK gump for clicking house signs repeatedly or random IDOC timer

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

Assuming if there is no market for perfectly timed IDOCs?
  2. SativaGreen

Like your suggestions. I'll definitely be either looking to sell perfectly timed IDOCs or simply posting them for increased PvP, since it's so damn easy to create a script for this.
  3. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Poogoblin likes this.
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Chis mentioned earlier in this thread that this punishes players that put in effort, skill and preparation, something that is typically rewarded.

Because this is a MMORPG that *should* encourage player interaction to yield the greatest rewards. In my experience, IDOC's have always been the greatest source of wealth of any 'profession' and you should work with others to secure that wealth. Solo IDOC'ers can do well by snagging a box or rare, but typically players that work well together and spend time preparing for IDOCs are the ones rewarded from it.

IDOC's have been a staple of UO since houses were introduced around 1997, on Prodo shards it's always attracted the most dedicated PvP'ers and the most dedicated players due to the high rewards.

The fact that there is so little PvP around IDOCs here is symptomatic of the playerbase, not the mechanics.
  5. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

IDOCs were not dominated by the most hardcore in the late 90s. Nor were they automated and timed perfectly from a GW status. Please don't compare current IDOCs to 1997 IDOCs, because they are nothing alike.

Source: I was an extremely successful IDOCer that soloed and duoed them on one of the most populated shards
    SativaGreen and One like this.
  6. SativaGreen

Well, you can add one more AFK scripter to IDOCs... Got multiple houses on watch now. Never expected a 30 second macro to make me so rich while AFK.

UO R: History Selected
    Poogoblin and One like this.
  7. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I'm not in the scene so I won't be around to watch you get smashed into the ground, but knowing its going to happen still makes me smile.
    Holden, Pedigar and wylwrk like this.
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

You're right, they actually had PvP and competition instead of just a few people showing up to take everything. I remember the Brit Moongate house falling on GL and at least a few hundred people showed up to the point where my dialup connection would disconnect me until everyone left.

I remember guildies staying at home from school/work for 10+ hours just to camp IDOC's, so while the timers may not have been as accurate, the competition was definitely there and rewarded the most resourceful of players.

The mechanics are not the problem, it's the players.
  10. SativaGreen

Yeah, cause the 5 players that are active are SO good at PvP. Stop trying to act like this server has any sort of PvP competition to it.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  11. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

You could actually time them extremely accurately on the live servers. (I ran one of the first websites to ever sell virtual properties for IRL $$ back in the day). The trick to it was understanding the time dilation that applied to each of the sub servers. As the world was made up of 7 servers the more active servers ran slower than the less active servers. So a decay near vesper for instance would decay quicker than a house decay near Britain. House decays always operated on a tick system rather than on a DateTime system. So 1000 ticks would have to pass before a house would decay. Daily restarts, crashes, downtime, long save times and server dilation all had an impact on this. But if you timed enough decays on a certain server you could be just as (but not quite) as precise as you can here.

Even then I used the screenshot/item ID trick to obtain timers. The utilities back then were very basic. But UOLoop to run a simple UO macro plus a simple utility to take a screenshot every few minutes was just as effective then as it is now.

This is one area where a playstyle is rewarded by the server stability and the UOR codebase that does not require regular reboots due to memory leaks/bad coding.
    Deacon likes this.
  12. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Poogoblin likes this.
  13. SativaGreen

Only salt I have is after spending the night successfully placing IDOCs the old way. Let the scripts rain!
    Poogoblin likes this.
  14. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

While I certainly can't refute much of what you said, as I didn't do them nor knew item I'd worked on houses. I do find it odd this didn't lead you to dominating servers like Atlantic having this much knowledge.

Most IDOCs I attended would have less than 4 people and everyone would be camping at least 4 hours.

I can't recall a single time someone swooped in with 5 minutes left on a house to claim it, as is the norm here.
  15. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Their methods are not secrets, they are public.
    What difficulty are you having with the application and positive results?

HOW is the results of this thread holding you back?

I'm better than this thread.

This subject (every time it comes up) wreaks of "nerf it" undertones by people that can't compete and feel changing this one thing will ruin it for "that one group of people".

I will never give pardon to anyone that seeks change prior to applying themselves to mastering the current process. There has been NO IDOC competition at the moment worthy of mention prior to this thread.

Then stop talking about it and be the first of your kind to actually do it.

I will commend your efforts and cheer for you when you show your results good or bad.

see you
    El Horno likes this.
  16. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

Posting memes, adding nothing to the thread, not reading it clearly as in feeling it was created to combat a group VS a process.

You're actually the culmination of a large part of this thread
  17. SativaGreen

My point is, if you want to compete, they've made it so this is the only way to.

They've allowed, and ruined, the old IDOC process and pigeon-holed it into this process AFK time perfected process. Fine with me. I can play like that too.

But it's not UO:R and definitely not intuitive for new members. You literally have to come on this forum, break the immersion of the game, and read into these things to even understand what's going on in this server. Which could easily be destroyed by putting an AFK check on IDing house signs.

Just breeding more AFK scripters. Why do they cater to that? It's worth exploring and if you don't want to, simply don't click on the threads?
    BlackEye, One and Poogoblin like this.
  18. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

I think that's somewhat subjective and contradicting. Someone may love the server the most, becuz the mechanics are in their favor. Whereas another person might love the server the most, if the mechanics were in their favor. I can't speak for anyone else, but I think I would love the server the most if my favorite template (stealth poisoner) was viable. But it isn't, so what, who cares, right? As far as the idoc thingy goes, lol I for one could care less, I only voted yes to support the OP. I like the shard, and I like the staff, but I'm mainly here becuz there isn't a better option. Doesn't mean I love everything about the server. I'm a loyal person in general, and as long as I feel grateful for what the staff has done, I will remain loyal, but there is a line. Today, I feel grateful. This isn't a rant, this is just me keeping it 100.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    BlackEye and Poogoblin like this.
  19. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

My first week back I asked the question how someone could swoop in at the last minute and loot/place when I had sat there for 3 hours semi AFK. I was given a generic answer. It wasn't until this weekend catching Joe Bot and talking in IRC I found out what the "norm" is here.

I've played UO on and off since 1997 this is the first I've seen something like this be allowed
    SativaGreen likes this.
  20. SativaGreen

I've never seen people so scared to lose something that "doesn't generate profit while AFK". While the ring leader does nothing but boast about his own experiences with IDOCS. The response to this is hilarious. People on this server, vets, FEAR competition on a "Felucca" server. It's fucking amazing.