AFK Resource Gathering System

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by DarkWing, Oct 6, 2012.

1. DarkWing

DarkWing Senior Counselor
    Senior Counselor
    UO:R Subscriber

OK ... something needs to be done here.
    i get popped for AFK resource gathering while fishing and eating dinner,
    its hard enough to keep your attention SEMI watching a guy casting a pole in the water.

Just put some Random Spawns out in the Oceans, for christ Sakes.
    Dolphins are MIA,
    I have Never seen any Random Sea Serpents, Deep Sea Serpents or Water Ellies,

I think before you guys get to heavy handed in the penalties, you need to get other things in Place,
    that my curb the AFK Gathering, Random Spawns are always a good deterrent.

as much as the Dolphins were a pain in the ass ... you knew you always had to keep an eye out for them, and Water Ellies can be a bitch .. especially if you give them good AI.

and being in jail .. there should be someway of Knowing How long we are in for!
  2. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

and a chess set for when friends come to visit...
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Ocean spawn is currently work in progress due to some additional code work needed for a worldwide ocean spawner, however most of the spawn will develop over time as players fish more and random monsters are fished up and left to roam the seas.

As as always, when you walk away from the computer or minimize your macro'ers window. Pause the macro.

And yes there will be dolphins . . with lasers.
  4. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Lol... I think DarkWing is trying to say that the anti-AFK system needs a rehaul for fishing -- but the way his post reads to me, I believe it's working pretty darned well. If you hate getting jailed, try not being a criminal :p
  5. DarkWing

Senior Counselor

nah .. the afk system is working great ... i just want fishing to be more challenging, right now there is nothing to stop you from fishing except when you pull up a sea serpent, and sometimes that can be a long wait.

i'd like to see more random spawns (in the works i know)
    and something that tells me how long i will be staring at stone walls would be nice!

both times i have been sent to jail i had just looked away for a minute.
    there are a lot of things in this game that do not Demand your 100% focus. so your mind tends to wander, looking at forums, watching a football game one TV. etc.

i have never been an AFK fisher .. but have lost focus a few times to find a Serpent chewing on my bones!

IMO Sea Monsters make the Best Anti AFK Fisherman, System!
  6. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

To be honest DarkWing, I'm not really behind your idea. To each his own - you're entitled to your opinion - but I see it this way: Fishing sure enough is tedious and boring; I agree with you there. But I put in all the long hours of watching lame fishing so that I can get t-maps and MIBs and even that still takes hours and hours more to be rewarding. We already have to sit staring at the dullest screen ever, deal with sea serpents and water eles, and be ready to deal with pirates. Quite honestly I think about the last thing I want is for this business to be made even LONGER by floating flamestriking monsters all over the place. If I want to PvM I'll be playing a bard or tamer instead of my fisherman, and I can't imagine having to stop and restart a fishing macro again and again because of random insignificant monsters whose only purpose is to muck things up. There's just not enough damn time in the day for it, man.
  7. jukeboxhero

jukeboxhero New Member

yea dude i just gave up fishing. most of the time the chests arent even worth the time it takes to get them lol. and i agree with darkwing that the reveal on fishing and sea serpents are quite enough to deter afk abuse. before all this u could just put ur boat in the mid of ocean,hide, fish up 30 serpentss, log in kill them all for about 15 MiBs. now i really doubt if thats even possible. take it from a abuser, its fixed, without jail :twisted: not only that but fishing took me like 2 weeks to gm, now i dont even use it. good work
  8. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

I was just training my fisherman on land again, like always, surfing the web and checking on it from time to time. Well I popped back at one point and about had a coronary when I saw the anti-AFK puzzle in the center of the screen. Luckily I answered it in time but the last I had heard, fishing from land was not subject to this system (and it has never happened to me before that I'm aware of). Was this an accident or an intentional and permanent change?
  9. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Currently fishing at a 90 or above skill can trigger the anti afk gathering system, however we have plans to disable this when fishing from the coast if you have no chance of pulling up a special item. This should only apply if you are fishing somewhere that can result in a gathering action. Even if it is only summoning a deep sea serpent with a MIB on it.

For the time being, the general rule is, if you are fishing over 90 skill, you need to be watching the screen. However if you miss a prompt due to a "fridge" run like darkwing mentioned just page staff and we will review the logs. All actions related to the anti afk gathering system are logged, including page times.
  10. DarkWing

Senior Counselor

Ok, i have been giving this more thought! and don't see the Need for the AFK system for Fishing
    1) the only thing gathered is fish, fish are not a Valuable Resource! that needs to be controlled
    2) now that we have 3 accounts myself and others will be making multiple fishers and i foresee this system sending us to Jail do to one screen being covered up by the other at times.

Lets Discuss this!
  11. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

It's definitely meant to keep people from pulling up tons of MIBs and tmap bearing serpents while AFK. In my opinion that is a good thing.

About #2 - there are workarounds like using multiple monitors or several reduced-size game windows on one monitor. Worst case scenario, click through all your tabs once a minute. If someone either can't or won't make it work then they ought not to be running three fishermen at once. I think this is a case where people should tailor their gameplay to fit the rules and not the other way around.
  12. DarkWing

Senior Counselor

true .. but you must be present to loot the Serpents
    so nothing but fish is gathered AFK
  13. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

Recent events have shown that you can auto loot with little effort.
  14. Kryptonical

Kryptonical Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

what am I missing here?

What is the point then?
  15. DarkWing

Senior Counselor

please explain?
    there is NO Auto Looting with UO or Razor Macro's
  16. DarkWing

Senior Counselor

why do we have an AFK system for Gathering Fish?
  17. Kryptonical

Kryptonical Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

why should it be taken off?
  18. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Because no resources are being gathered afk, only spawning of monsters.
  19. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

People will still use an auto loot program or script if you give them the opportunity. While fish are not a valuable resource, they are a resource none the less. And just because you don't know how to auto loot with razor doesn't mean that it isn't possible. Because it is in fact quite possible.
  20. DarkWing

Senior Counselor

well then with that logic, Provoking should be on the AFK List as well,

there are tons of places where you can provoke Safely - AFK, all that is left is the Auto Loot!