Alchemy bonus to potions

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Qnidopi, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Qnidopi

Qnidopi New Member

I noticed that having alchemy doesn't increase the benefits from potions. Why is that? If someone spends 100 sklll in crafting skill and his char is not 100% crafter what's to problem with having a little compliment bonus?

Types of potions:
    Refresh - no bonus (it's total so ..);
    Cure - no bonus;
    Poison - no bonus;
    Nightsight - better effectivness/longer duration (+20% at GM) - like the magery spell;
    Greater strenght - +4 str bonus (+20% at GM);
    Greater agility - +4 agi bonus (+20% at GM);
    Explosion - +20% dmg at GM.

What's the problem with those bonuses when they cost you100 real (and expensive) skill? What exactly is going to disbalance the game? The longer/better nightsight or the 1 minute +4 bonus to Strenght and/or Agility? That's a joke.

Everybody see problem in the effectivness of the Greater explosion potions. If you consider them a problem - lower their damage with 10% - so a GM alchemist will rip off only 10% increase from them while rest of the players - 10% penalty (compared to current damage otput). Or lower it by 20% so alchemists gona get the current damage through their skill and other get weaker compared to now? Or if you find these potions such an important part of the PvP game and you don't want to lower their current damage level - don't give them bonus. Buff the other potions.

P.S. I'll explain my motives here - IMO Ultima offers the oportunity to make your own personal comibation of skill - that's unique. Sadly having 3 accounts with 5 characters per account result in everyone having a Crafter, PvP-er, PvM-er, Thief, Treasure Hunter all at the same time. I don't want to cry about tripple boxing - even with 1 account you still have 5 character so it doesn't change that. When I play ultima i make 1 or 2 chars and make the combination of skill I like and not imperativly 7x100 skills. I might be like the Jack of all trades this way (having 9 skills) - not the best in anything but think I (others like me, Roleplayers and so on..) should be rewarded for making real, non-100% profilated chart - not punished for that.
    Jupiter likes this.
  2. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

First things first, it's an era accurate shard, so it aims to replicate a specific UO era (now whether how much it does is another question), but I think it's just trying to stick to that. That being said, I can't form a logical connection between having the skill to make a potion and finding a better way to consume it so it has more effect?

If I have 0 alchemy but am drinking the same potion (made by same person at same skill), how much should that really differ?

It's kinda like suggesting blacksmiths should get 20% damage increase if they use weapon.

Trust me I am at same heart as you are (as a fencer/mage/tamer, I am aiming only 4x100, and also a roleplayer) but certain things need to make logical sense as well.

Speaking of, if you're interested in RPing, we have a good community and few guilds that do it.
  3. Qnidopi

Qnidopi New Member

Offtopic: I'm new to RPing so it's still kind a hard to find time to participate in time-consuming adventures, but i'll find somehow. I plan to be orc so we can make some fun battles.

About the logic - i understand your logic argumen but in a game-world with magic, dragons, orcs and so on i kinda expect that the pure real-world logic will be put a bit aside (not forgoten afcourse). If you want some I can suck some from my fingers - If i'm really good alchemist (80 skill for example) through my work i have consumed various foodsupplements making my body able to absorb the benefical potions with stronger capacity. About explosions - through my work as alchemist i have been in touch with some many potions and liquids that i know their characteristics better then you, so i don't shake it and keep it more proparly - so it's a bit more effective.

Conclussion - unless it's really absurd, some logical can connection can be made with most things. It's a question of desire.The opposite is also true - if someone doesn't want something to be implended he will find countless logics that prove his point, unless it's absolute sh*ty idea.
    Ragar and Jupiter like this.
  4. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

Sounds fair, I'm convinced.

then again you have the barriers of "Era-Accuracy" and "resourcing", good luck with those ones.
    Qnidopi likes this.
  5. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I believe this was done to prevent certain people from being totally OP in pvp here, and to keep the different playstyles more balanced in the field. If you make alchy have a bonus certain classes will be extremely effective in a 1v1 if the right person is behind the controls. People have complained here about how you cant kill another compotent pvper 1v1 if both are well stocked. Maybe alch bonus can help combat this issue. I would say that some test center testing could be done by a group of players with alchy bonus active to give the staff some sort of real information on the subject that they can work with. I think your best bet is finding other interested parties and convincing Telamon to add alchy the bonus to the test server. Forum posts only go so far, especially with staff members who are not extremely experienced in pvp themselves.
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I'm GM cooking, give me a bonus to cakes.

Why not? What's the problem with having a little compliment bonus? I spent 100 points, I should get something extra out of it.

What is the current max damage of a greater explosion potion?
    What is 20% added to that?

The answer is, too damn much.

If your request is actually added, I'm going to quit this server right after I tri-box a pack of greater explosion toting alchemist/tamer PK's for a few days.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Blaise likes this.
  7. Qnidopi

Qnidopi New Member

wylwrk, i see you don't bother to read the post or you comment only the part you like, ignoring what is agains you.

Your question:
    "What is the current max damage of a greater explosion potion?
    What is 20% added to that?

The answer is, too damn much."

The simple answer to you question is in my first post:

"Everybody see problem in the effectivness of the Greater explosion potions. If you consider them a problem - lower their damage with 10% - so a GM alchemist will rip off only 10% increase from them while rest of the players - 10% penalty (compared to current damage otput). Or lower it by 20% so alchemists gona get the current damage through their skill and other get weaker compared to now? Or if you find these potions such an important part of the PvP game and you don't want to lower their current damage level - don't give them bonus. Buff the other potions."

Any of the three solutions may be implended without changing the current PvP balance. Since you stated that you will quit if the damage of purple potions is such I'm offering, you should quit right away than. My idea in reality will lower a little bit the damage for current user without alchemy. Those with GM will have +10% or +0% compared to now.

P.S. Nothing wrong in having complimentary bonus for cooks when eating food. Instead of restoring X stamina they may get X + Cooking/15. I don't see many PvP-ers droping something to get 100 Cooking, do you?
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I read your post in it's entirety.
    I'm GM in reading with a +25% retention bonus.

The point was, "No... No, I disagree. No, thank you very much. I fear adjustments like your suggestion as you likely get the worst of the variance."

Tamers were given a bonus and look how that turned out.

Leave this rule set alone please for the love of UO Renaissance!

[​IMG]
    Zim likes this.
  9. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

CLEARLY you didn't read his post but just decided to somehow turn this alchemy debate into a tamer debate?

Wylwrk the OP stated, "Everybody see problem in the effectivness of the Greater explosion potions. If you consider them a problem - lower their damage with 10% - so a GM alchemist will rip off only 10% increase from them while rest of the players - 10% penalty (compared to current damage otput). Or lower it by 20% so alchemists gonna get the current damage through their skill and other get weaker compared to now? Or if you find these potions such an important part of the PvP game and you don't want to lower their current damage level - don't give them bonus. Buff the other potions."

Read people's post or continue to look like an idiot when you derail threads.
    Qnidopi likes this.
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to derail anything, nor am I calling anyone names like "idiot".... yet.

El Horno, my reply stated, "I fear adjustments like your suggestion as you likely get the worst of the variance."
    I'm very afraid of the trend to ask for changes to "this or that" right now. This is how trammel got started.

My stance is, leave it the f*ck alone.

Read people's post or continue to look like an idiot when you jump up someone's ass for disagreeing with the proposal.
    Clouds likes this.
  11. Qnidopi

Qnidopi New Member

OK, I see you have you own point. No need to argue with you. But people should know that changes are inevitable even when implneded really slow. The questions is "Are they going to be good or bad". There always will be people who resist ALL changes just because they don't feel comfortable with them. I tried to defend my idea as a long-term positive that won't change you PvP. That's why i finished the post with a third option - "no change to purple pots".

P.S. Don't be afraid about Trammel - it started because OSI wanted to make more money from more subscribers (most people prefere to be left alone and not to PvP) - this can't happen on free-to-play shard. Most ot it's population is too much anti-Trammel.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I don't know that I've seen this as a complaint before. If there is any one skill that makes it possible to win a 1v1 versus a competent player, through skill bonus alone, everyone will have that skill. I like that Inscription is cut down some from OSI because it ensures that it is useful, but not mandatory. I'm not saying there isn't a way to do something like that for alchemy but rather that it's healthy right now and modification to that could have terrible outcomes, much like wylwrk fears.

By all means though, let's get that alchemy bonus here like OSI and make Lumberjacking as brutal as it was then as well. Then I won't be complaining at all when I re-roll my LJ into an Alchy-LJ.
  13. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I'd roll a LJ alchy immediately. I already throw potions quite well, at least that's one thing people tend to say about me. Feel free to toss me an alchy bonus. My archer mage would be pretty darn godlike.
    wylwrk and Blaise like this.
  14. Jig

Jig New Member

There are those of us that play here specifically because alchemy does NOT give a bonus (whereas competitor shards do have it).

Yes, you could throw potions during UOR, and yes it was effective. However, most people just didnt do it for a variety of reasons (not understanding the mechanics, not having an assist program that helped as much as razor, the pvp community on OSI believing they were lame, akin to chugging cures during duels). So a server where pot throwing is rampant, just doesnt really feel like UOR. Other pot usage is already off the charts here. Thats without even getting into your suggestion of other pots being buffed.

I think the amount of explo pots thrown here borders just below the "annoying but tolerable level". On other servers, if your dexer isnt an alchemy dexer he isnt worth playing. I would always be in favor of not doing things that promote more throwing of pots.

Lets try to not be that.
    Clouds likes this.
  15. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

Could you use explosion potions while holding a 2H on OSI? IIRC, you could not. If you want to buff explode pots with alchy, bring back the restriction on 2H explosion pot use. Given the restriction on insta hits on this shard, that would lessen the blow with OP dexxer builds while still allowing them to be doable. I like it when otherwise unhelpful skills in pvp make it so more builds are viable. If you think the damage bonus is too much, simply lessen it. We can test these things.

We could also try stuff like item id/cooking/forensics/etc. can buff other things. This is Ultima Online, we should encourage sandbox play and the ability to create interesting new builds. If they're implemented well, none of them should be overpowered. People in this thread complain these builds on other shards are overpowered and they didn't like the experience, but that doesn't mean the version implemented here would have to be the same.

I'm all for fiddling around with pvp here, it seems there have been quite a few patches since anything in pvp was changed/fixed. Let's put that stuff on the table and get a discussion going. Diversity in play and builds is good. Let's try it!
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Maltman likes this.
  16. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Is that a fact? I don't think it was unless it was changed much later on.

Forensics is actually very handy on a scout character in it's current form. Using it on corpses to see who's been killing and who has been looting can be useful if the shard had a much larger active population in Britannia and not in mystical UOR custom lands.
  17. Maltman

Maltman Active Member

Cooking could make food heal a bit and restore mana or you could cook a special mushroom and shoot a poisoned ebolt. Item id for more wand charges. Taste identification could do a tongue lash attack.

Its cool I love it but I think at a certain point too much new stuff would make some new players come and say "wtf is this" then log. Has to be hidden beneath the surface.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I would like to see cooldown timers on cure potions and refresh potions. In such a scenario, a bonus to Alchemy that wouldn't be terrible would be reduced cooldown timers for potions you drink.
    Clouds likes this.
  19. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

love live the poison dexxer

Can we get cooldown timers on wands too?
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah it would help the poison fencer not suck so hard too.

Wands are already pretty tame here compared to other shards, or so I'm told. Not sure putting cooldowns on them would be a good thing.