All-time Greatest Ultima Online Scams!

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Evil Dead, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

Brit graveyard was where it was at. Especially at serverdown (along with Covetous entrance.)

If I recall correctly, some people actually made money off of being trusted and taking commissions for functioning as a trade middle man.
    Hadrian likes this.
  2. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

The all time greatest ultima online scam was @PaddyOBrien trying to convince the world that @scuba is Hulk Hogan.
    scuba and Genuss Kaern like this.
  3. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Ha
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  4. Majinko

Majinko Active Member

My favorite was making people overweight and trade items dropping to the ground.
    You had to either snoop people and do the math on the items they had or give them heavy bonus things for free being a nice guy and all before the trade for the expensive thing.

Also the renaming of pets when you could do spaces and selling them fake pets.
    You could keep the space in a pet's name but you couldn't add one or put it back once you backspaced it.

And then finally, the check scam.
    People didn't know right away you could make 1 gp checks. Was easy to do and you could sell them as rares.You could also buy 5k items for 500gp, some people would never check the # of 0s on a check because checks had to be 5k or above. Probably the easiest one to do.

There was also the trade window scam I fell victim to. :(
  5. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

Haha I remember this. I never used it to scam anyone, though. I just thought it was hillarious to ride around on "a ridable dildo" or something similarly silly. I wonder whether the scam or people like me were the reason you can't mess with their names anymore... :p You did remind me of another one, though; summon creature spam until you got a horse, then selling it for 500 gp and laughing when it went poof.
  6. Majinko

Majinko Active Member

Lol. It's probably because of the space scam. As for your propensity to ride around on dildos, to each their own??
    Magery led to a lot of fun scams. Polymorph a woman and change your hair for a scam, run scam quickly, revert back and be untraceable. I never did the summon creature one! This is on my list of things to do if I ever time travel back to 1999.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  7. Majinko

Majinko Active Member

I also remember scams run on people by folks pretending to have connection issues.
    Your toon would do the little leg flail animation upon login so they'd meet you at the bank to buy something. Trade would happen and they'd right click out and log in.
    Keep doing it while saying 'Sorry man, so much lag, too many people by the bank!' Walk a screen or two away and steal the item.

Inversely, the scam about overweighing people would use the bag trick. Heavy items in a pouch under the item you're about to sell. You drag it over them, open the bag, they see the item. Trade happens. Items land on ground. Bloop.
  8. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

upload_2017-9-5_23-13-32.png

I will explain the scam since I checked and it DOES NOT work here. Look at the photo and see if you can recognize the scam first, then I'll explain. This is something that I conjured up in my head back in production days in 2000.

Edit: this scam worked about 19/20 times. There was a slick one who caught it.
  9. Cheapsuit

Actually you won't notice the scam from the photo, but there is a hidden hint in the picture. It's hidden, yet visible.
  10. dabrixmgp

dabrixmgp Member

I used to sell boats and would just rename a key "Boat key". it was pretty funny lol. I think I sold the same boat to 4 different people and all of them sat there at once trying to get on it.
  11. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

You mean along with incoqnito so they couldn't know your name, either? That's how you accidentally got to play a bearded woman. :p
    If you make it back to the 90's I hope you'll take the time to invest in some Magic cards between your UO frenzies. :)
  12. Cheapsuit

So no one can find what I'm hiding in plain sight in my photo??
  13. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

How much for the lamp post? (No, I have no idea.)
  14. Majinko

Majinko Active Member

You couldn't do incog while polymorphed. Was one or the other. It's also how you got to wear female armor as a male lol
  15. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

@Cheapsuit I can't see the scam. Please do explain
  16. Majinko

Majinko Active Member

Is it related to the rabbit on the cobblestones next to you?
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  17. Spankrox

Spankrox Active Member

Someone dressed as a guard
  18. Cheapsuit

upload_2017-9-6_3-55-30.png

Yes sir! Nice job.
  19. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

So whats the scam?
  20. Cheapsuit

upload_2017-9-6_3-58-17.png

See back in 2000 when I played, no matter what type of animal you were trading, it always only showed a picture of the horse in the trade window. I walked up to a random person in occlo a few hours ago and transferred the rabbit just to see what would be in the trade window, and a rabbit appeared. So now that I know no one can pull the scam off here, I'm more than willing to share.

So I would name the nightmare booooo and the rabbit boooooo. The are 5 o's in the nightmare's name, and 6 o's in the rabbit's name. I would advertise that I was selling nightmare for 80k, and always made sure I was at a city that had streets that looked like this. Plus for extra security, I would hide the rabbit under the nightmare or under me. Now here's the tricky part that took some practice... The key was making sure that the nightmare made the horse sound when you made the trade to cover the sound of the twerp that the rabbit made when you transferred it. Only one person ever caught the extra "o" in the name. if that happened, the scam was over.

So they would see that the nightmare name was Booooo, so when I said Boooooo transfer, they would not catch the extra "o" in the name, and the nightmare made damn sure they didn't hear the rabbit. So I sold a few rabbits at 80k a pop.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.