Allow for Permanent Hirelings as end game content for Dexxers?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jupiter, Dec 6, 2014.

Would you support this as the end game solution for dexxers?

1. Yes, this sounds good

36 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Yes, but I have some thoughts...

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. No, this is wrong

30 vote(s)
    39.5%
  1. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Lol!

I really like the discussion here and I'm now leaning towards Basoosh's proposal.

I like that you all brought up that this is essentially making dexxers min tamers. Plus the fact the implications of the controller going grey and how it would impact the criminal system.

I like the idea of giving plate added boost in pvp only, but any such benefits from plate should not work with tamed followers. Otherwise it would adversely impact tamers in pvp if people can negate tames by flipping on plate. But against pvp only

Here is how I'm seeing this discussion now:

1. Improve drop rates for slayers
    2. Allow for plate to significantly reduce firebreath and magic against untamed npc s only.
    3. Allow ability to equip hired npc's (Jupiter really wants this and is not giving it up! :) )
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I don't think magic damage is that problematic. There is only a limited amount of damage an enemy spellcaster can do to you in a given time period, and it would be say one flamestrike every 3 or 4 seconds. That's not too hard to heal through. And of course being mounted, you can use geography and line of sight to your advantage.

For me the major constraint of melee combat against monsters has been the melee damage from the monsters. Consider the Balron, hitting a full invulnerability plate warrior for 35 or so. At 200+ dex, that melee damage comes much faster than magic damage.

I also don't like the idea of being able to bypass the Magic Resist skill to some extent, via items.

Since we're on the topic of throwing ideas out there, I'd suggest some thought to the Shield Slayer idea someone had in a prior thread. It's a nice buff to parrying, sort of fits in the weapon slayer theme, and could provide protection to melee, firebreath, and/or magic as desired.
    Lightshade and Jupiter like this.
  3. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I'll second that. Parrying could use some loving.
    Jupiter likes this.
  4. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

Unholy heater shield of invulnerability... Or elemental plate chest of fort... 2x resistance to physical damage of said monster class!
    Jupiter likes this.
  5. Jupiter

I like this.

Any thoughts against a marriage of Basoosh's idea and Dalavar's?

Allow normal/crafted plate to have enhanced effectiveness against npc non-tamed melee only.

Add random subclass of slayer attributes to all magical armor types to reduce melee damage only (Does not mean all magic armor will have this, just a subclass to be added as a possible attribute for magic armor. Magical slayer ar to be added to standard plate ar)

Modify slayer drops so they occur more frequently than once every spring solstice

This marriage sounds glorious to me. Then we just need to add herbology so we can grow plants and paint our armor.
    newme and Lightshade like this.
  6. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

Can the vines be trained to ensnare vile wizards and bring about their demise?
    newme and Jupiter like this.
  7. Dalavar

The only potential issue with armor that I see is that you have to balance the potential for multiple pieces. And also that it gives you this "class" benefit without any skill investment. So the armor would be worn by bard dexers as well, for example, allowing them to maintain their gap ahead of plain dexers. Maybe that isn't a bad thing, I dunno.
    Jupiter likes this.
  8. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

9. Jupiter

This makes sense perhaps only allow slayer attributes to shields and chest pieces. Otherwise I can see somebody getting full set of exorcism dismissal armor trying to take 0 melee damage from a balron.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I could get behind slayer shields making parry a wonderfully useful skill again. I can dex down ogre lords but it's hardly worth the time investment of needing to repair my armor every hour.

Not inclined to get behind any further slayer armor ideas.
    Jupiter likes this.
  11. Jupiter

I think I'll update op with a list of ideas that have the most support in a few days. I really appreciate the manner of debate this has received. I think we could find the elements we can all agree on and then petition Tela!
  12. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

I would assume that there would be a check in the equation for where the hit was going to land, checking that piece of armor for the added bonus. This would negate any stacking of bonuses.
  13. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Contract hirelings that you can lodge + equipping is my favorite idea so far (and slayer shields). I don't think we should be able to rez them, unless you get a special bonded hireling after a melee only zone/quest accomplishment that needs to be added at a later date.

I think you should only be able to control 2 melee hirelings. I don't like the idea of a mage/archer hireling as those could be abused worse than melee hirelings.
  14. Jupiter

^^

This sums up what I think are the most widely accepted attributes.

Rezzing/Bonding is the most controversial feature discussed.

Equipping NPC's couldn't possibly hurt any other aspect of other persons' gameplay (except losing the gear you put on the NPC), and Lodging just means you don't have to lose the gear on the NPC until it dies. (it would be rather unfair to equip a hireling and then have them leave simply because we can't stay logged in 24/7 to refresh their funding)

I also agree with Mage/Archer, the abuse with ranged attackers could be annoying and problematic for Admin.

The Slayer Shield probably fits in best with our current shard content (we have slayer weapons) and the shield nobody could complain about because you are giving up a free potion hand in favor of additional melee defense. (this also means you have to un-equip two hands in order to Kal Ort Por).

This could be construed as allowing 'peace/dexxers' furthered advantage, but that is fine, since I don't mind sharing, it also means mages might be able to get in there and do a little melee damage too!
  15. Dalavar

Remember, it costs another 100 skill points though. So at that point you're spending 300 skill points in Music, Peace, and Parrying. Weapon, Tactics, Anatomy, and Healing with those won't allow you to Kal Ort Por at all!
    Jupiter likes this.
  16. Jupiter

^^ da bump for more discussion
  17. The hound

The hound Active Member

I think dalawar made some great points. What I think the big difference between uor and other mmos is that dexxers here are glass cannons; high damage (with slayers) and no ability to tank high end monsters. Compare that to other mmos where warrior classes are low damage projecting tanks.

Usually warriors hold aggro while mages and ranged damage project.. uo warrior Class is opposite.

I think we can all agree a melee glass cannon ks tricky but fun to play yet completely subpar compared to a tamer class or bard mage.

Would be great for dexxers to see some love and I mean with survivability.

Mages do not need warriors to fight or kill stronger mobs here like other games so it negates teamwork.

Mostly what you get is someone training a tamer to farm gold solo to avoid splitting rewards. Would be nice to see dexxers as a tank class that could help incorporate teamwork.. this is an mmo after all..

The projected change with hiring does not reward team play.. it just makes more solo opportunities which I think is a step backwards.

Just my .02
    Blaise and Jupiter like this.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Spoken like a true player.
  19. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

A step backwards? Forming a group in MMOs has always been the largest time sink, and then it crumbles shortly after when people go afk/disband. I don't have time for groups, although they can be loads of fun in UO if you get a good group going. A group of melee with armed NPCs would be a lot of fun. You have to have events and special rule areas for team play rewards or else it would ruin the freedom aspect of UO.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I agree with you on that Wulver which is why having the normal hired NPCs of various levels from rogues to rangers and paladins would be great. It would be fun just to have a Mage, Ranger and Paladin NPC hired that perhaps each take 2 control slots, and go on an adventure. I probably wouldn't scoff if they could gain in skill but I'd rather see them spawn with various skills and potentially even loot on occasion as you're hunting. :)
    Jupiter likes this.