Am I Missing Something?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Gotrek, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Gotrek

Gotrek New Member

I run into town and go to the bank with my shiny new BOD when I get a message that 'someone has removed your BOD from your backpack' I call the guards and .......... NOTHING happens.........................I am wondering what I am doing wrong. Is it not enough just to call "Guards" anymore? I looked through the startup guide and a few other places but can't find any more information.

anyone want to chime in on this?
  2. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Hi!

Let me say first of all I understand being stolen from is frustrating.

You might expect that as long as you recognized a steal had happened you would be able to call the guards to kill the thief. One of the problems with this is if it always worked then players would simply call guards 24/7.

So instead my understanding is that some successful steals make the thief turn grey and you can call the guards on them. But also some will only turn the player grey, but the guards will not respond (as if they did not witness the act).

So there's a chance that guards will take care of it for you - but also some stealing attempts you will have to take matters into your own hands in order to get your items back.

I hope that helps.
    Gotrek and Basoosh like this.
  3. Gotrek

Gotrek New Member

I will just have to hide bags over pouches under stacks of 3 cloth x 4 or something complex like that....doesn't stop the snatch and grab from some of these mosquito-like vultures at the Occlo bank (and other banks). I understand frustrating when the guy follows you for over an hour and 3 different towns....it just gets old.
  4. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Mes is correct. When a thief steals from you, they will always go gray. Whether or not the guards can be called is a random chance that depends on the thief's stealing skill and the weight of the item. BODs are paper light, so chances are good that a GM thief would be able to steal them without getting a beatdown courtesy of the guards.

Something else you might try is to carry a locked box/crate on you. You can deposit items into the locked crate while it is still locked. Then just keep the key in your bank box for when you need to access the contents. (just make sure the chest has enough stuff in it that it is too heavy to steal itself)

I also have Hiding on all of my BOD collectors - free and easy to train. That way you can bank while hidden.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  5. Gotrek

Gotrek New Member

Thanks for the replies. its only been 15 years since I saw the pacific shard and about 5 years since I was on the old shard I played on (Sylvan) so I have forgotten a lot.
  6. Pulse

Pulse Active Member

Does the spell Magic Lock on a box also prevent thief access?

If so you can just cast Unlock if you need in the box and don't need to worry about a key. Just make sure the box itself is too heavy to steal.
    Basoosh likes this.
  7. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

^^^

Good question. I would assume it works. I've not actually used that spell here.
  8. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

magic lock works well.
  9. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I carry a small crate with all my things in it. You can lock and unlock it with the spells and can drop things into it while locked. (also cast access regs, but not pots)

Just make sure it's too heavy to steal.
  10. Simoneau Trade

Simoneau Trade Active Member

Also there are quite many detectives on this shard who will deliver player justice on any thief they find as criminal.
    Thieves can run and hide, but they are no match for GM rangers and scouts.
    TiMi likes this.