An entry from Lex Lothar's Memoires... #1

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by LexLothar, Aug 31, 2015.

1. LexLothar

LexLothar New Member

Dear Journal,

Today seemed as good as any for adventure.

I woke up from a light sleep to the pleasent hummings of a starling who'd setup nest in a small nook right outside my home.

Watching from atop my roof while drinking my morning brew I noticed for the first time, 3 blue and white eggs.

A fine way indeed to spend the sunrise of what already appeared to be a beautiful day.

[​IMG]

Once I got my wits about me (thanks homebrew) I decided it was time to conduct a little research.

I've been pondering the true nature of some of the world's critters for some time now. I suspect many of them are mistaken as evildoers, when really they're just a bit aggressive for reasons currently unknown to me (and others).

I head to the stable master in PAWs village to claim my trusty steed Edwin; and immediately make way for supplies in Trinsic.

[​IMG]

Resupplying was quick, as my last adventure got cut short.

I simply grabbed some bandages, prepared Edwin for the long trip with a peach (his favorite), and headed for Despise.

[​IMG]

Edwin has been with me for many years and we only had to make one brief stop.

[​IMG]

When we finaly arrived at Despise, I decided to give ol' Ed a little breather. So I dismounted, fed him another peach, and told him to keep an eye on the entrance.

It took a few minutes to decide which level to explore first, but a quick flip of the dagger, landing blade down made it much easier.

[​IMG]

I made my way in slowly, as I was unsure of what I'd find.

I hid behind a stalagmite formation and observed the 2 headed beast known as the Ettin for a few minutes. Besides scratching its butt, there wasn't much activity, but it still didn't take me long for my natural senses to inform me, this creature was up to no good.

[​IMG]

I drew my sword and lured him over to a corner so no other bad guys could flank me.

[​IMG]

He was no match, for I am adept in the art of swordsmanship. A few well placed slashes of the blade, and he was running for his life... although he only made it a few short steps before I laid him to rest.

Ettin: EVIL.

Noted.

[​IMG]

I turned and took a few steps in the opposite direction, when I was immediately greeted by an ozzing blob of slimey looking filth.

One quick swing of the blade, and this creatures intentions were obvious.

Acid Blood? ... EVIL!

[​IMG]

I snuck my way over to a swampish area around the corner, and discovered a few large creatures that appeared to be made up of the earth itself.

I sat back and keenly observed them for a few moments, but the my senses weren't overtaking me as strongly. I couldn't quite make out any sort of emotion/feeling... they seemed to be at the whim of some greater being that I was unable to see.

[​IMG]

But as soon as I engaged one, he called in two brethren as well as a slime.

EVIL!

[​IMG]

It was about this time I started to worry about Edwin... so I headed back to the entrance, peach in hand. Thankfully when I arrived, all was well.

I asked Edwin if the cave had any other visitors since I'd been gone, but he just nuzzled my shoulder, a clear sign that all was safe.

With Edwin's blessing I decided to head upstairs to check out the other level. Downstairs hadn't looked very promising, but I hadn't lost hope.

I snuck around upstairs... as I do... but lost track of my thoughts (i'm a bit of a daydreamer) and ended up face to face with a giant Lizard creature before I could even observe its undisturbed habbits.

[​IMG]

But after a few good blows, I was able to decipher some of the Lizard Man's speech... "Ouch! Me Hurt!" ... "Good Blow"??

These didn't seem like the musings of an evildoer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, before I could fully grasp what was going on, my blade had gotten away from me and I'd slain the poor creature.

I was immediately overcome with a sense of sorrow; leading me to believe one thing.

Lizard Men, like the harpies, are largely misunderstood.

Out of respect for the soul I carved the corpse (so as to not leave any waste), and buried the remains. Rest in peace friend.

[​IMG]

My own carelessness had caused me to slay one of the very creatures GoC is sworn to protect. I will avenge your death by swearing protection to the lizard people from here on forward.

This discovery had exhausted me. It was time to head home and record the findings.

[​IMG]

I hopped on Edwin, and headed straight for Britain. Being well rested he ran like the wind, and we made it in seemingly no time.

We took a shortcut through the graveyard (a place that needs no such research) and were immediately met by a skeleton I haven't seen the likes of ever.

He was strong. But I felt obligated to defeat him; so I drew my sword once more and attacked.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Within seconds he'd poisoned me... something I'm still working on learning to cure... so I made way for town; hoping to at the very least, spare Edwin's poor life.

Thankfully, I made it just in time, and Edwin's life was spared. Unfortunately mine was not.

[​IMG]

Luckily there was a wizard capable of ressurection on the scene. She returned my spirit to my body, and I gathered my things.

[​IMG]

A couple of the local town folk noticed my failed mission, and asked if I was looking for a hand.

After quickly healing myself back up to full strength, I suited up and we headed for the creature who'd done me in just a few moments ago.

The one who called himself Lawnboy was an accomplished magician, and Stryder seemed to have forgotten he wasn't, so they both attempted to unleash blade spirits on the beast... only 1 of which was successful.

[​IMG]

Lawnboy raised a few firey pillars from the depth of hell right onto the creature, but it had seemingly no effect. Meanwhile Stryder seemed to remember his true profession, ranger, and whipped out a bow. Hurling arrows at the beast at great speeds.

[​IMG]

Lawnboy dropped another Bladespirit, hoping it'd take the brunt of the damage. Unfortunately the revenent quickly dispelled. EVIL!

[​IMG]

But after a long fought, very tough battle, we sent the evildoer back to where it belonged.

I thanked the gentlemen.

[​IMG]

Made sure they were taking care of their mounts... and offered up a peach to each of them (Edwin was not pleased about this).

[​IMG]

and made my way back to the stable master: to return Edwin to safety...

[​IMG]

While I returned home to record this journal entry...

[​IMG]

Lex Lothar
    8/31/15
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    newme, Kishember, PaddyOBrien and 3 others like this.
  2. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

A great example of how to illustrate with pictures. You must have very high hiding skill, I've got mine up to 26 so far, but I have only been in UOR for one month.
    newme likes this.
  3. LexLothar

LexLothar New Member

Thanks.

You could say I'm a natural when it comes to being sneaky. ;) ...

** I macroed it
  4. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Well written and illustrations a nice addition. Lovely that you remembered your comrades' mounts with those sweet peaches.

:)

Marjo Governess of Wispfelt

Westra on irc