Archer Mage template question

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Artex, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hello, I'm considering a build of - Magery/Med/Eval/Resist/Anatomy/Tactics/Archery. My question - is it worth taking 10 points from each skill and having 70 healing? I'm guessing not but wanted opinions. Toon will be for group factioning. I already have a stun mage but would like to mix it up. I've had a fencer which is decent with para blows but, good or bad want to try something different. I'll have to try the character out on test and get a feel for it. I'm a semi newb factioner so don't beat me up too bad!
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

At 70 Healing, you lose about 20% of the healing power of the bandages. Worse still, I think you can fail a cure or a heal outright.

Be a mage that augments with some bow shots here and there, and I think you'll be in good shape. Also look in the forums for an explanation of the Archery to-hit formula on this shard. It diverges significantly from the way things worked back in the day, and has serious impacts on how this type of template can function.
    Mes likes this.
  3. Kermit

Kermit Well-Known Member

I think its better to be 7xGM!
    Why u want to do an acher mage? Try a archer dexer with 100 magery, can be good.
    I m doing one right now : Magery/archery/tact/anat/healing/resist/hiding.
    Nice template to support your team and hide for the trap!

See you
  4. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feed back. Def going with 7x. I can't go without magery for dumps, after all it's the best method for killing opponents in group fights. Plus without a decent mana regen rate I wouldn't want to play the character. I read Wulvers comments regarding pvp archery and it wasn't too encouraging.... Hell I'll give it a try anyways. Always easy to reskill.

Kermit you in factions already? If not message me if your looking.
  5. Kermit

Kermit Well-Known Member

Not yet but i plan too! still working on my archer!
    Reached 100 magery this morning, working on healing right now then last skills to hgm will be archery :D
  6. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I played against a Mage Archer named Raven in TB. I think that template is better than my pure archer as I doubt I would ever kill her, it was some good fun though.
    Jupiter likes this.
  7. Genocide

Genocide Active Member

no need for healing if you have magery. You should be chugging pots as well anyway
  8. Gozinya

Gozinya Active Member

What are your stats for a build like that? I would imagine sacrificing dex hurts archery speed and sacrificing int hurts mana pool.
  9. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

I always chug a blue and white pot to help my stats out.... at least mind blast doesn't do much to me. The misses and low damage rolls make archery fustrating. You wait for the heavy x bow hit and mostly I either wiff or have a low damage roll. Carrying around good bows for pvp has been expensive. If your opponent is using wands it's kind of pointless. Only success I've had is timing purples (only outside town) with shots and finishing with magery. Usually can't beat anyone down unless they make a mistake or maybe it's just I'm not that good!
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Raven is HateCrime for what it's worth. Also, Wulver almost exclusively fights/factions alone. Archers are great templates in group combat and if you've got med/eval and can synch a dump, your weapon doesn't really mean much anyway. It'll be handy for sure and pull off some shots on folks trying to run away, but otherwise, just a great addition to a group and not much to speak of in a solo scenario.

Also, the misses and low damage rolls make ALL WEAPONS frustrating. Whiff whiff whiff 1dmg.....*sigh*
  11. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

Amen to that!
  12. Blakheart

Blakheart New Member

dexer as in fencing (kryss) or something? Wouldn't you need to drop healing or something to open a spot for the weapon skill?
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Well, technically an archer is (or most likely is) a dexxer because it's highly relevant to shot cycles. If they're eval mages, they'd probably go less because they'd be banking on a single heavy xbow shot followed by a mana dump, like a hally mage with a bow.
    Gozinya likes this.
  14. Blakheart

Blakheart New Member

so for dexer that wants to also have a melee wep skill.....swords or fencing and use mace? or kryss? I would think the kryss speed good for disrupting...and also for skill gains since the more whacks the faster the gain
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If you're going for the RP of it as an all around adventure character, I had a lot of fun when Blaise was Archer/Fencer/Anat/Heal/Tactics/Resist/Magery. I eventually dropped Archery for Poisoning. You could just as easily swap out Fencing for Swords or Macing if you want either of their benefits. I think the biggest damage combination would be Archer/Macer while the Archer/Fencer has that nice touch that can get you some more range on your target (Paralyze hit).
  16. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Was an Alt of mine when I was starting to make a switch to TB. Never went through with it tho.
  17. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

My Archer template... Useless in group pvp outside of the magery portion of the template. In a 1v1 it can be a lot of fun but rely's on wands and purple potion tosses mixed in with magery dumps to be effective; plus your opponent needs to stick around. Regardless its fun to play. Here is my temp:

Tactics 100.0 100.0 0.0 100.0
    Resisting Spells 100.0 100.0 0.0 100.0
    Meditation 100.0 100.0 0.0 100.0
    Magery 100.0 100.0 0.0 100.0
    Evaluating Intel... 100.0 100.0 0.0 100.0
    Archery 100.0 100.0 0.0 100.0
    Anatomy 100.0 100.0 0.0 100.0

90 str (95 hits)
    45 Dex
    90 Int

Be sure to chug str/dex pots.
  18. Attila