Archery and the lack of a Special Attack

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Blaise, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

After 1v1 tourny for second time the priority fix I would like to see before any changes toward archery would be:

Fix stamina drain from all sources except for maces and low health situations.
  2. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Interesting idea brought up during a convo with Telamon:

Archer accuracy could possibly be affected by range:
    10 tiles = 50% with an increase up to 2 tiles from the archer at 90%?
    1 tile = 50% for you to effectively be close enough to "wrestle" an arrow.

This would put both archer and opponent in a situation of positioning advantages, and a little more realistic.

Another idea was to improve melee/archer accuracy while on foot, I figure this would be utilized more during pvm.
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Ezekiel is working on a post that will be up soon regarding the plans going forward on the path to History Perfected.

Coming up with a special attack for archery is on our list with 2 basic functions for the same special attack, 1 vs players, 1 vs monsters.

However to stay within our mandate of perfecting the Renaissance era it will be designed in line with the existing special attacks.

We will also be reviewing the complete mechanics for archery during this process.
    Minax likes this.
  4. Robbbb

Robbbb Member

I think insta hit is a MUST. Doesnt make sense for someone to be able to run when you shoot and you wont hit them.

Also, I think shooting on the run should be included. However, while running your chance of hitting your target drops from say 50% to 20%.
  5. corben dallas

corben dallas New Member

Please, DON'T ADD ANY SPECIAL ATTACKS to archery. The best way to improve archery is to enable shooting arrows while moving.

Totally agreed with this "However, while running your chance of hitting your target drops from say 50% to 20%." It would be nice, if it has 1 second delay after moving to raise 20% back to 50%.
  6. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

Agreed - At least put in a test phase so see how it works in pvp if there is going to be a special attack other wise it could be OP depending on what special ability it is given.
  7. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

"Archery + Inscription = Chance to shoot an ebolt instead of an arrow and your arrows occasionally curse your enemies"
    I like this would combine two opposite skill sets
  8. purple

purple Member

ive asked about this topic about 6 months ago, not happening.... but it all would be nice though i favor the whole poison idea
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Archery already has a bonus: you don't have to be up close and personal and being whacked by your foe.
  10. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Thats not a special attack that is the type of delivery.

Lets be honest here, as it stands, Archery is not a viable STANDALONE weapon skill for 1v1 PvP. At best its good as a support character in group PvP (what I have been doing so far).

I understand that the nature of archery makes it a delicate skill to tinker with but that should not stop us from debating and trying to perfect it.
  11. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I believe tinkering with archery should lean more towards the mechanics of either eliminating the "plant then shoot" rather than putting a special attack on the hardest hitting weapon in game.
  12. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I welcome all discussion which will result in improvements to archery whatever the powers to be eventually deem as improvements.
  13. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

This -- I like this idea much better than a special attack on archery; now granted this is stated from a perspective with 0 PVP experience in the last decade or so.

To me though, the biggest hinderances to archery are fire rate and plant-to-shoot from a PVP standpoint. I could see allowing a 2.5ms or 5ms bonus per 10 points of skill working as well, leading to a total of a 25 or 50ms speed improvement in fire rate. Not a HUGE change; but enough to tip the damage over time in the favor of archery being competitive with other weapon skills.
  14. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I think not needing to stop to shoot would make archery too OP.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, like a cheaper and more powerful wand/pot combo. Probably too OP to go full shoot on the run. However, with the current variable on range affecting hit chance after movement, perhaps not so much? Maybe a combination of full movement shots with that variable cranked a bit to make it even harder to land a moving shot?
  16. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

QFT.

When OSI changed archery to shooting on the run all you saw was a rush to get archery on your template. This will make archery 100% OP; you can be running away and still be attacking.
  17. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I would hate that, I'd rather stop to shoot than MISS MORE!!!! :evil:
  18. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I haven't read all 4 pages here but I would suggest giving it a small chance at an armor ignore ability that acts like a crushing blow.
  19. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Like a "true damage" shot?
  20. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

I hate when people say archery's special attack is the range...

Pros of archery:
    Range(but the farther you go the greater the miss chance)
    Largest hitting weapons
    Great team fighting skill

Cons:
    Slow
    All two handed weapons
    Ammo
    If you recently moved, good luck hitting
    No Special attacks

I feel the cons far out weigh the pros, and dont forget the huge delay once you equip a bow before you actually shoot it, making any magic combos lack luster. I dont know maybe I am not seeing something here but for it to be stand alone skill something has to be done