Archery Axe negative synergy?

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Geo, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Geo

Geo Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I was thinking of making a dexxer with archery swords and lumberjacking. But then I just thought that both bow and axe might take the left hand disarm spot. Are all archery weapons left hand disarm? Is there a way around this? Ideally I would like to have katana axe and archery on arm disarm. Is that possible? Also, is this a stupid template? vs mage, vs eval dexxer, vs pure dexxer?
  2. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Just make and arm/disarm for each weapon then bind those to hotkeys exactly like you would a wand.
    Geo likes this.
  3. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I assume your build will lack magery, and if that's the case it will be extremely weak against any template really. Also archery weapons are incredibly slow and your swing timer resets when you equip a weapon so even if you get someone low enough to run away they'll be long gone or ghealed by the time your bow actually fires off
  4. Geo

Geo Active Member

OHHHHH Thats great to know thanks. I assumed that the timer didn't reset. I saw a few prominent players using bows and I thought they might be a bit more effective than I initially thought.

Yeah I was planning on doing it without magery. I thought Xbow from hiding axe rush to the face, dp katana end. I considered there might be some delay between the arming and disarming of every weapon and I was wondering if I could squeeze potion chugs between those but ultimately wasnt sure about the tempo.

So do mage archers cast exp.. then precast eb then equip bow?
  5. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I imagine you'd hold explosion and equip the bow, but archery is pretty useless tbh. People use them in ctf sometimes and it works in a box like that but you'd be hard pressed to kill a decent pvper with that template
  6. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that archery accuracy is lowered as your distance from the target increases and you take penalties for moving while firing
    Geo likes this.
  7. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

Archery is really only good in a ranger/scout type character, using stealth and hiding. I keep meaning to start one, but haven't done so yet.
  8. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

If you would like to see an archer mage pvp properly feel free to IRC me at "HCGaming."
    swiftfeet likes this.
  9. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

This is half true. Archery, like described above, is only good if you wait until someone is redlined before you pop out from hiding or if you have half a dozen friends doing the same thing. Otherwise, you're never going to kill anyone using a stealth archer by yourself. As soon as you attack someone, they are as good as gone if they don't want to fight and you can't do anything about it.
  10. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

I agree. I wouldn't want to use a stealth archer for killing anyone. But then I wouldn't want to. Mainly for their roleplaying and for scouting in a bigger guild, like the guardsmen militia had in UO Europa. They were called the waywatchers division.
  11. Curly Sue

Curly Sue Well-Known Member

Gooooood.... Gooooooooood....

$rubs hands together$

Yes, archery sucks.....

It really comes down to how they are used.

Your main problem is that axes need lumberjacking and it leaves you with less room for the archery skill. Also, with a lumberjack and the right weapon you can do almost as much damage as a bow with less delay in between hits so it wouldn't be needed for big hits.

As far as PVP duels, I cannot comment but would guess any dexxer template in a duel would not be so great.

If you are going out pvping solo i would say it would be ok, especially against dexxers trying to land hits on you or using it to do some damage before you go toe to toe in fisticuffs with another dexxer. But in most cases a lumberjack might be better. Where it really shines is teamwork or getting in big hits while trying to retreat, or blocking recall from a distance.

It's a tactical tool more than a straight up pvp weapon.

Many of times have people thought they were in the clear only to find themselves dead or thought they had some time to heal with half their life left before having the other half taken by a well timed bowshot.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015