Bacement ideas

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by TnT, Dec 12, 2014.

1. TnT

TnT New Member

A smaller house with a fortress sized basement would be nice addition to UOR because it would give people wanting big houses a big house. It would also cover far less land than a fortress or large keep for the same house size. It would also be a cool add-on for some of the smaller houses and maybe different basements for different houses
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  2. Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice Active Member

3. fooka03

fooka03 Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Only if it cost 100mil or some ridiculous amount. I'm ok with some houses having basements if it follows the same footprint but ultimately that's what you have with the workshop style houses, just all above ground. I would guess that the inconsistencies in map height and things under houses would make implementation a nightmare and placement even harder. To make placement easier the basements would have to be "instanced" and that would be ridiculous.

As a compromise it would be nice to see an expansion around some of the smaller house footprints, mostly for RP or Vendor improvements (marble small tower, log workshop, watch tower, vendor pad). Maybe we could see some that have a few more lockdowns/secures for private housing. Ultimately the disparity is one of the things that make UO a great game by giving people something to work for. If you need more room for your crap, save up for a bigger house or place another.
  4. TnT

TnT New Member

It is not the need for room for "my crap" it is that there is a lack of spots to place larger houses so why not have a larger house with a smaller foot print
  5. The hound

The hound Active Member

You have to remember that there is only so much space period even in off grid map space which is what this would require. Essentially this would cut into the dark areas in a map and require custom static land plots. I don't think this could ever be automated because it would require gm intervention to essentially setup the house to have the basement location portal to off grid map site.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Yeah but the only alternative is to, like, buy a big house from someone. Why would anyone do that if Telamon can just spend a month coding basements for 7x7's?
    Andersonius, AnRobot- and Halabinder like this.
  7. fooka03

fooka03 Well-Known Member

See my second to last point for an answer to this.
  8. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

i like the idea of houses having basements but a small house having a cellar the size of a castle sounds absurd to be honest (and it sounds so goofy that you may have hurt your proposal by using this as example)
  9. The hound

The hound Active Member

Big basements under small houses that may run under neighbors land...

Drainage!

I drink your milkshake!!!

If you have a milkshake and I have a milkshake.. and I have a straw. Now my straw reaches acroooooooossssss the room and starts to drink your milkshake.... i.. drink.. your... milkshake!!
  10. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Ships need a below decks area.
  11. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

Basements under houses can work, but making them larger than the house's footprint will be more trouble than its worth. Even if you put them in the black spots of the map, you eventually end up with the same perceived problem of there not being space.

In the end, if you want a large house...save up and make someone an offer they can't refuse.

Yes to basements the same size as house footprints.

No to larger ones than the house.
    Basoosh likes this.
  12. Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice Active Member

why not implement house boats while we are at it.
  13. Pegbyter

Pegbyter Active Member

Envisions a house boat with sliding glass doors....
  14. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I had a really good idea for houseboats once but I forgot. True story.
    Halabinder likes this.
  15. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

that would actually be cool if you're a pirate
  16. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

What do you guys need a basement for? A small house is what,, 5x5 ? You can stack backpacks like 20 or more high.. that's at least 5*5*20*125 = 62,500 items right there! If you have that many items, you're living like a filthy animal.
    Jupiter and Basoosh like this.
  17. Hazy

Hazy Active Member

Stop posting stupid ideas.
    Timbo Slice likes this.
  18. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

We could have a special gateway be summoned in our homes for a high price. It would open to a new land that holds our basement... it could be a land where there is no evil and all is good.
    Jupiter, [Mobolin] and snap dragon like this.
  19. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

Why are we thinking down at all? Basements are only good for Grow OPs and S&M activities and my char can't even lay in a bed let alone get tied up to one... Unless my basement comes with a [bunch of ratmen/orc/lizardmen who have a chick (or a dude if you are a chick or that just happens to be your thing) tied to bedposts] spawn, I am not interested!

An extra floor up is what I'm talking about. Huge oversize rooftop patio option for every house.

Couldn't help it...
    Vlar likes this.
  20. T3h D4ve

T3h D4ve Well-Known Member

You couldn't even think of a name for that idea as it's so absurd!

On a slightly similar point, I'd say I'd be for custom houses, but they'd need to be approved by a jury of their peers first....