BAGBALL!!!

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Codus, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I've always been a terrible business person!
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

[​IMG]

Dude, me too! keep up the good work!
    Vlar, Jupiter and illbottleya like this.
  3. illbottleya

illbottleya Member

I've been at it for about as long as you Blaise. Keep it up Vlar - it keeps getting easier and easier every day and you will keep feeling better.

Glad to see all the events picking up steam on the forums here recently. I won't have time for that many with the halloween thing going on (I don't play a ton) but I'd love to do a few bagball games in November or something.
    Jupiter and Blaise like this.
  4. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

Let me guess, someone suggested the rule to success in business was to "buy low and sell high," but you forgot the first part?

I don't have the resources and space for an Event. LanDarr has been awfully quiet though. I know he is cooking something up for after Halloween. I haven't had a chance to test out the fields yet. But I think we can do some sort of an Ongoing league if we can get a decent field in a Tower. I think it is crucial for it to work in a tower because it is cheap and fits on a small plot so you don't have to be super established to own one. So all sorts of people can get involved in it and have a field of their own for practices or to hold games.

Say you get 8 teams in a league and make two divisions of 4. Each team plays once against every team, and a second game against every team in their own division. That is a total of 10 games per team. We can do 1 match up a week. Each team will also have to offer one of their team members per week to Ref ONE game. So each week, the two teams who have to play one another will have to arrange with a Ref to play their game. Each team can Veto a Ref if they feel that person will favor the other team. I am more than willing to organize the league and keep track of the scores and whatnot. We can get a Forum thread going like the Chess League one.
    Vlar likes this.
  5. Halabinder

Hey guys,

Sorry it has taken me so long, but things have been pretty hectic. I have finally placed a tower and got a little bagball field going.

[​IMG]

The field is for 2v2 or 1v1 matches.

The objective of the game is to get the ball onto the 6 squares that are marked with GREEN cloth. The players start on the RED tiles at the beginning of the match and again at half time. Once the whistle is blown and the game starts, neither team is allowed on the red squares and any player who is caught stepping on the square will be subject to a 10 sec penalty. My field has actual outs on the sides marked by Orange cloth and stools. I have placed cloth on the tiles to minimize the ball being placed on those tiles, but if a player is caught stepping out of bounds, they will get a 10 second penalty. While penalized, the player will have to stay off the field in the area marked by BLUE tiles. The penalty system works like hockey. YA I'M CANADIAN!

When a team scores, all 4 players return to the red squares. The ball is placed on the tile between the players who were just scored on. The game begins as they move forward. A 10 second time wasting penalty can be given to one of the players from a team if they take too long in getting the game going at the discretion of the referee. The ref can also stop the game and hand over position to a team if they feel that one of the players from the other team was holding the ball for too long without placing it somewhere.

I haven't had a chance to test out the field and the rules yet. I am going to try to get on Saturday and Sunday morning between 9-11 AM EST while my fiance is still sleeping and ask a couple of friends to join me. Please post here or send me a private message if you would like to come try the field and play a game. You may come in pairs or alone. This will be an informal event. I will not leave the house open to public so you do not need to worry much about safety but I still recommend you travel light and do not bring any belongings you would be upset to lose. I'm going to continue living off my small tower for now so there won't be anything to steal in this house.

Please note that the bails of hay which are acting as goal posts will be replaced with either secured barrels or small forges. You can't walk through or place a heavy container in either :) Also the Green tiles were left for the picture and the cloth will be removed during the game so the ball can be placed there easily. The ball is not meant to be easily placed on the goal line so the red tiles stay throughout the game.

Would love to hear any suggestions for rules or alternative ways of designing the field. You can arguably get more space if you go north south, but then you have to leave a single row of tiles for the goal or your field is smaller. If testing goes well this weekend I will host a tourney on November 6th and throw in 100k in the prize pool. Maybe charge entry fee to add to the grand prize total.

GetCho Vuvuzelas Out UOR

Also - the poor hamster upstairs has been running as fast as he can so I can try to figure out how to incorporate Hockey fights into this. The best I have come up with so far is that it has to consensual and the loser would have to run to the bench and get resed by bandages before running back to the game. The consensual part means you can't just start beating someone up, but it brings verbal taunting into the game and if two players consent they can go at it. I just don't want to have to stop the clock. The only way I have been able to figure out a clock is a macro that literally counts down with a 1 sec pause. I'll bribe Geebee to write a 600 line macro that counts down from 300 seconds haha. But even that I would just have to run. I don't want to have to track down the correct second and get it going again from there. It will create delay and make the whole event more boring I think... Is there such a thing as pause a macro instead of stop a macro?
    Vlar and Jupiter like this.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Only thing I might suggest is if someone needs the 10 second penalty, just do a good old fashioned "remove thyself" on them and let them run back up to the roof. Faster they run, faster they get back in action, and at least you don't need to be eyeing a clock for when their time is up.
    Halabinder likes this.
  7. Halabinder

That is a fantastic idea. If you are involved in a fight and you die, you get booted, then have to come back and res and get back in the game. So you lose some extra time on top of having to run up the stirs for losing a fight. I was gonna make a count down from 10-1 macro but then again that requires monitoring and regulation and the person might jump in too quickly. "remove thyself' does all the regulating with the touch of a button. Thanks D.
    Jupiter likes this.
  8. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Vlar, ReZon, Halabinder and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

In Razor you can do "Insert Pause" and then you can set that Pause for whatever time in seconds you wish.

I would recommend instead of counting out loud each second in game, perhaps for the first 2 minutes just have a 1 minute pause in razor at the end of each pause announce "1 Minute" then "2 minutes" then perhaps for the final 10 or 20 seconds count down out loud. The razor for a five minute match would be something like this:

Say: "Let the match begin! The Match will last for 5 minutes!"
    Pause 60000
    Say: "4 Minutes left"
    Pause 60000
    Say: "3 minutes left!"
    Pause 60000
    Say: "2 minutes left!"
    Pause 60000
    Say: "1 minutes left!"
    Pause 50000
    Say "10"
    pause 1000
    Say "9"
    pause 1000
    Say "8"
    pause 1000
    Say "7"
    pause 1000
    Say "6"
    pause 1000
    Say "5"
    pause 1000
    Say "4"
    pause 1000
    Say "3"
    pause 1000
    Say "2"
    pause 1000
    Say "1"
    pause 1000
    Yell "Game over!"
    Halabinder likes this.
  10. Samorite

Samorite Renaissance Game Master
    Renaissance Staff

I can provide a BagBall for this event as long as it is returned at the end ?
    Vlar, Athena, ReZon and 1 other person like this.
  11. Halabinder

Gideon - I will send you a private message with the link to the event when I post it.

Jupiter - I hadn't thought about just announcing intervals and making the pauses longer. I knew about the pause option though. What I was asking was, can you get a macro to pause at whatever point it is and then play again from there. I currently stop and restart a macro which works when you are repeating actions for skill gain and whatnot, but if you are doing a countdown, I don't want to restart the clock every time there is a pause in game play. The macro you provide works great as a soccer clock. Clock keeps ticking regardless of whether there is a stoppage of play. But if players start having a fight I think we are going to have to stop/pause the clock and let them finish that before continuing. Or we could have chaos! Clock keeps going. Game keeps going 1v1 and 2 people step out onto the blue area to wrestle? Sounds awesome haha.

Samorite - I believe earlier in this thread we decided to stick to a "bag" (little pouch like the one in the picture) so that everyone could practice with the regulation gameball if they wanted to. My plan was to lock it, load it with 500+ stones of Ore and unlock it. If you could drop an empty bag that weighs 1000 stones and maybe doesn't open if you Double Click it for the duration of the event however, we would happily use it and return it after the event. If you could make something around the same size that behaves the same way a "bag" does but has a unique design, I would totally accept that as a game ball. UOR does pride itself on perfecting UO history, if you guys want to design a unique ball for us we will not say no :)

EDIT: Also, I kind of want to encourage this to be done the old school way, without holding CTR+SHFT. I want people just fighting it out for that bag so I think i am going to lock down gems and stuff on the field to discourage you from using CTR+SHFT. I want to know what people think about this.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    ReZon and Dalavar like this.
  12. Athena

Athena Active Member

There was a special bagball item made in AoS that is a bit larger icon wise than a bag if that is what Samorite meant.
  13. Halabinder

I thought he was talking about the giant ball that takes up a whole tile from the video on the first page of the thread. I have never done this before I'm just a big hockey/soccer fan who stumbled upon this and thought it was cool so if there are other examples of a ball I do not know them.
  14. Samorite

Renaissance Staff

will this do ?

[​IMG]
  15. Halabinder

I will obviously leave it for people to vote, but I would prefer it to be the size of the pouch shaped Bag in the picture. If you could shrink it to that size and make it behave the same way on a tile then we have what I envision. The bag is centered on the tile when put down which is visually pleasing and the size in comparison to a UO Character is kind of like a soccer ball and a person. But up to everyone else to vote on also. Earlier in the thread, we agreed on using bags so I am guessing that people would prefer a smaller option.
  16. Athena

Athena Active Member

That's the bagball I was thinking of! I like a dyed yellow normal bag myself but the ball is pretty neat.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Needs to weigh 1000 stones though so you can't move at all with it.
  18. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

I like the regular bag option myself.
  19. Samorite

Renaissance Staff

that's not a problem
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Anything to prevent it from being placed in a pack, or removed from the grounds.