Become a citizen of a town.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Wulver, May 18, 2013.

Show your legal status?

1. I want to represent a city!

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. I'm a hermit

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hey all,

I was wondering how cool it would be to have a way to become a legal citizen to a town. Have a town registrar and you can become a citizen by signing papers, it would also show up in your paper doll.

I don't know if there would be a fee or benefits, POST UP!

I can also hate on dirty Brits this way.

Edit - A few ideas I thought of:

First registration is free
    If you decide to change later it will cost 1000 gold
    Town Compendium can show population
  2. pdodd

pdodd New Member

Got my vote! Sounds like a very cool/fun idea.
  3. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

What about the bank you use most you are assigned to that town? Wonder if that would be hard to implement.
  4. qbradq

qbradq Member

I'm not sure I like that idea in particular. Might make it easy to target folks for bank thieving. Dunno.

I like the idea of citizenship though. It's definitively a nice RP touch. I'm trying to think of some game mechanic you could put behind it to make it interesting but without creating some imbalance, but it's tough. Maybe give a small discount on animal purchases? Like horses and pack animals. But then there are several towns with no stable.
  5. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Pretty neat idea.

Could go a lot of ways from a mechanics standpoint. You could even have citizens pay taxes, and it would go towards city beautification or something silly.
  6. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

The Turkish shard I've used to play, had a major system.

This could really beef up the role playing community and proper city based guilds (yewish militia i.e.) could be formed. Also this can be worked with the factions as well?
  7. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I thought about that but seriously people are sitting at WBB non-stop, and if a theif sits at the bank all day just to steal a lil something from me, then I guess he worked hard and should keep it! haha
  8. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

I really like this idea. I mean, I'd have to think a bit before I could decide which town I'd become a citizen of, but I'd kinda like to see this idea implimented. :D
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Me likey
  10. Xeba

Xeba New Member

A shard i've played in my country had that system, you could be a citizen of any town you chose, and you had benefits (such as vendors who would only sell to citizens, with lower pricess and more stock, etc). There was like a "major" system as well, but i don't really remember the use of that.
    I do remember that sometimes some towns could go into war with each other, and every citizen had the option to join his town "army" (where you had to go fight the other town, or deffend your own) or just continue being a regular citizen, completely uninvolved in war bussiness.

All in all it was pretty fun
  11. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Wow, Xeba that sounds pretty damn awesome with the warring... makes sense also. Instead of unaffiliated factions controlling a town lol. Towns can ally or war... but I feel that would make it too custom and less UO:R for that type of system. Factions just needs SOMETHING.
  12. Xeba

Xeba New Member

Well, as i recall, factions and town wars had nothing to do with each other, you could be in a town and in a faction, you'd just have more enemies.
    Something that was great (specially to spice up pvp and communication) was this: every weekend you had like an automatized event in wich every city (except britain) spawned his champion (example: "Vesper Champion"), it was a badass boss whom you had to defend if you were blue, and you had to kill him if you were a PK. At the end of the event (usually 1 hour) the citys who had their champion alive, remained with guards and could be controlled by factions, but if the champion was killed, that city remained with no guards (a city for the PKS) for a week too, until the new champion appears. This was a lot of fun, and helped the pvp development in all the shard, people used to work hard to have nice equipment and skills for these events, made the "citizen system" a lot more usable and specially decentralized the pvp from the most common places (you could find a 10 vs 15 man fight in Nujel'm)
    I'm telling this so you have some ideas on wich you guys can evaluate. These events made the shard i've played the most famous in my country, and sometimes it had like 350 people online (wich is really A LOT).
    Later on they did something similar but with factions, it was pretty sweet too.

Sorry if i took a wrong turn on the topic!
  13. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Yeah, kind of off topic but those are some great ideas. I like the ideas of "city loyal" guilds, but doesn't have to be linked to pvp, just have your members sign up for Minoc or whatever.

For the Champs King/Duke/Queen whatever of a town... hmm... they could hold the sigil (after purification they spawn), then after they are defeated you take the sigil to the bases. That would eliminate thieves from the beginning but add more participation. After the sigil is brought to the base then that is where thieves come into play. Champs cannot be taken down by a few guys, it will require teamwork.... hmm good loot would also boost participation. The only thing is, what do the defenders get out of it?