Blessing Runic Weapons for non-Faction Characters

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Blaise, Nov 10, 2014.

1. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I don't have so many spears that I could lose them indefinitely and not have to get more. I don't really understand what you're trying to say in the first line, it's incoherent.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

There are no 'balled up groups' of oranges, or anyone at all really, so you're making shit up.

You have plenty of spears and resources to replace them or did Mes lock up the pile of platinum and mountains of loot you've been pulling for last year+?
    I could remind you of the screenshots he's posted of the interior of the fortress but I'm sure you know what you've got already.

Keep pretending like magic weapons are hard to come by though. There's a reason no one sells GM weapons regularly here and it has nothing to do with BoDs.
    lol
  3. napo

napo Well-Known Member

We've had fights with such groups in the last few weeks. It's been a common tactic lately for people to group up and hold down their target closest orange key. If enough people do it, the first person to push in gets targeted with a bunch of spells and has a high chance of dying.

I think that you're having trouble understanding this because your philosophy when it comes to equipment is much different than mine. I travel light, with around 50 of each reg, 5 cure/heal/refresh and 2 white/blue plus a spear and trapped pouches. There isn't any need for more. There really isn't a need for any weapon greater than a GM spear since it's mostly a paralyze stick in group fights. Though last night I did have a few good hits with my GM spear, I'm very interested in playing around with them to see the new combat changes in action.

I don't really feel the need to leave the house with 300 stones of loot and my best weapon. Good enough is fine for me.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I enjoy a bit of both but you should know as well as anyone that if you didn't have your pack with you, you'd be packing heavier to suit the odds. Of course all you need is a GM spear for occasional para hits, you don't even need to try and do good damage with the weapons. We're not talking about ONLY people with the weight of a team behind them though, are we? If that's the case, fuck who even needs any weapons, right? Just sync it and forget it, Ron Popeil style.

Your philosophy seems to be based on everyone having a great old time running GM gear in the field. The problem is that it's not even remotely close to reality. The only people finding success in the field with GM gear, did not find success as a result of that gear. Several other factors came into play to ensure that and the gear you're carrying has about as much impact as a pair of sandals. Oh, that and the RP crowd. They always have fun because the gear has nothing to do with it.
  5. napo

napo Well-Known Member

When you're alone is a period of high risk, I think that's a time when GM weapons are fine. I don't like risking lots of loot in high risk situations.
    I also disagree with the notion that you don't need weapons in group fighting, one of the weaknesses of the rival factions is that they have no template diversity. Fencing tank is a great template and the ability to do some damage as well as the para blow often leads to kills. Weapon users and spear users in particular punish those who use wands without macing.

I do agree that GM equipment is not ideal, particularly when it comes to killing monsters. For the kind of playing I've been doing recently, a GM spear is good enough though.
    Maybe the combat changes will make GM equipment a little more viable.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

GM armor, most certainly. GM weapons that are not runic craft will forever be sub-par because that's how the era works and runic hammers aren't going anywhere.

The world used to be where GM was standard for dueling only. Force and above were considered "decent" fielding weapons. Those times were such that anyone with Meditation could not feasibly wear armor in the field.

We are in a time when you have a very high level of AR available to players running Meditation and a prevalence of runic hammers will suit that for balance in PvP. Whether they are blessed or not, is beside the point you're trying to make. GM weapons will never be, here, what they were in prior era. Runics of gold and above make the "decent" field standard vanquishing and above (ie: agapite, verite, valorite runic). As such, GM equipment will never be viable outside of a box you put it in for balanced results. It will forever be relegated to the poor or large groups that bring their power in the form of numbers not risk.

While during the course of the conversation I have accepted that pvp-based weapons are unwelcome to be blessed, the option to bless Slayers is akin to multiple bonded tames, etc. This option would only suit to bolster template variety in the field. I have said since Beta that I am opposed to blessed weapons at all, however, in light of the circumstances of this shard's development, I daresay balance cannot be achieved without some semblance of blessed weapon option for all players who choose that role over another.
  7. The hound

The hound Active Member

Let's fast forward the forum og smashing and get back to original discussion.

Again why not have an incredibly pricey insurance option instead of blessings.

Only use what you can afford to lose or insure.. that way if you die repeatedly you have atleast the risk of losing lots of gold. Blessed gear removes risk and causes zerging.

I'll tell you what happens when you bless weapons .. 90 percent of game population will hover around yew moongate zerging into people for quick little skirmishes with no risk involved.

If it's going to cost me 50k gold each time I die I'm not going to be stupid with it. I will still use the nice gear but with some caution that it will be expensive if I die. Rarer more expensive gear could cost more to insure obviously..
  8. Scunon

Scunon New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm really new to UOR (or UO in general), playing for about a week now.

Reading this discussion was really interesting. I have no idea what the endgame looks like or how pvp really works yet, thus I hope not to appear too foolish when posting this (I really barely understand 50% of what you guys are talking about).

The conversation seems to heaten up here and there but I think you guys share the same opinion (more or less). You just get stuck with the details of it.

1. Keep risks a factor to deal with, but well balanced for everyone

No one of you wants the game to become more "trammellike" (took me a while to understand this)
    This means (as far as I understand) that both gain and risk should be equal (Trammel = gain with low/no risk)
    This should be balanced among all of the templates (dexxer, mage, tamer), which is not the case right now as dexxers are more item dependent than the other two.

So why would you want to decrease the risk of the dexxer by blessing his stuff instead of just adding risks for the other temps? Give them something expensive they really require to be good. This way the risk is balanced for everyone (and "fellucalike").

2. Make dying a loss, but an affordable one.

Instead of bonding/blessing stuff I just wouldn't make it that expensive that someone would cry about his loss. Adjust the effort it takes to get the equip so that you are pissed for the next 1 or 2 hours. But a death on friday shouldn't be that great of a deal so that you're still bothered on sunday.

3. Give a chance to the Newcomers

Adjust the different item qualities (I really don't know much about those vanq/slayer/runic hammer stuff) so that the more expensive stuff has the edge, but not by too much. A new player (with worse gear) should always have a chance (bad comparison: A guy with a glock can actually beat a guy with a M4).

There should be different qualities but at a proper scale (the best gear is much more expensive but only a little stronger)

Example:
    Peter is very rich, he has got a capital of 5mil. Therefor he gets himself some tier 5 equipment at the worth of 500k.
    George is not as rich, he's got a capital of 500k. He gets himself Tier 4 Equipment for 50k.

Peter and George come to fighting each other.
    Naturally Peter has the edge because of his superior gear.

Case 1: Peter kills George.
    Sucks for George, he just lost 10% of his property. It's not too bad, he still has enough left to get new equip and can also choose the go the safer route by buying Tier 3 gear for some time.

Case 2: George pulls out some astonishing plays and he kills Peter although hes worse equipped..
    Sucks for Peter as he just lost 10% of his property. He can chose to regain T5 or go safe and stick to T4...

Hope you get the point. A loss should really be a loss (emotionally), but you should always have a chance to compete even with the worse equipment. Anything else would be anarchy where the richest guy always wins and everyone else is afraid to play.

To me, those three points are really the deal of it.

These are just my thoughts, there's a good chance I will eat my words within the next few days/weeks of playing.
    So feel free to just ignore this post in case it's utter BS and please don't hate too hard ;-)

Only trying to participate in this great community!

Thanks,
    Scu
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Seems like you've got the basics down. The problem is that there will be no more risk 'added' for the other templates. Additional control slots (up to 8 from OSI's 5) was the first UOR customization that buffed Tamers. Adding the Zookeeper Quest further buffed them and effectively secured their position as the most powerful and risk averse template. There are some mild risks but at the most, they lose reagents/bandages/leathers and have to retrain 2.5% of their tames' skills if they were killed as well.

Weapon wielding characters are forever doomed to the very costly risks unlike any other template. This is why you see wealthy players with top tier slayer weapons that only use them in private instances. The only time you can have comfortable enjoyment doing PvM with them, is in a closed area. Whereas tamers may get frustrated when they get killed and have their tames killed, it's not even remotely close to the loss a well equipped warrior would suffer.

There's a reason players run three accounts with tamers/bards at Champ spawns. It's the only way to do it without taking huge risks.
  10. Yen-lo-Wang

Yen-lo-Wang Member

No blessed weps. Simple.
  11. Horatio

Horatio Active Member

Insurance would be nice but only if the PK got the gold!
  12. Yen-lo-Wang

Yen-lo-Wang Member

O....S.....I
  13. Horatio

Horatio Active Member

Though I guess if weapons cant be insured, to make it fair, what about making spellbooks unblessed?
    Basoosh and Yen-lo-Wang like this.
  14. Yen-lo-Wang

Yen-lo-Wang Member

I doubt that will ever happen but it would create a market for scribblers.
  15. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

No on insurance, No on blessed weapons.
  16. Theodin

Theodin Well-Known Member

Possibly the stupidest idea I have ever fucking heard.. add a new spell called super theo kamehameha ebolt that I can sink my gold and plat into and I'll reconsider..
  17. Theodin

Theodin Well-Known Member

Btw did I mention how bad this idea is and delete this fucking thread before newcomers see it and think we're all newbs
  18. RollinTheTweed

RollinTheTweed Active Member

What's that you say, factions? Who would ever! There's a temp bless wep system already in place, nothing else is needed in this department.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

No on unlimited bonding slots, no on bonding, no on ethereals and no on blessed runebooks....oh wait, bards and tamers already got multiple windfalls of Trammel that will NEVER be removed.

Nevermind, as you were.
    Basoosh and Mes like this.
  20. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

This idea needs to die in a fire.
    Theodin likes this.